Tips for driving LHD cars?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby sussex2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Silk wrote:
sussex2 wrote:
true blue wrote:I've driven on the Continent before, but at the end of the month will be driving a left-hand-drive hire car for the first time (in Lyon, if anyone cares).

While I expect that the usual control-familiarising cockpit drill will cover the basics, I wondered if anyone had any nuggets of hard-learnt experience for everything being back to front and having to change gear with the wrong hand.

I assume the pedals are in the same layout, but it's just occurred to me that I'm not actually certain!
[code][/code]

The pedals are exactly where you would expect to find them and in the same order.
Give yourself time is my advice and in particular learn what these two signs mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_306.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeich ... O_1980.svg

I've no wish to insult your intelligence but have found that even supposedly 'seasoned' UK drivers are often completely unaware of their importance; and their importance is paramount.
A brace of alcohol testers (which may or may not be supplied by a hire company) would be useful and can be had for as little as a quid each.
If you are intending to go into skiing areas ensure that a hire car is fitted with winter tyres and or snow chains.

The links are in German, so I'm still none the wiser. Continental signs are rubbish at the best of times. This particular one gives absolutely no clue as to its meaning.[/quote]

Simples! The clear shape indicates you are on the road with priority and the one with the black line through means you have to give way to anything coming from your right. In France the latter is generally in towns and on country roads; assume this situation in towns unless road markings state otherwise.
In Germany many towns have no road markings at junctions and the priority to the right rules applies always.
When turning left or right at light controlled junctions it is usually necessary to give way to pedestrians crossing the road you are entering who will also have a green light.
As I said knowledge about the yellow signs is vital and many british drivers are blithely ignorant of it; and also the need to give way to the peds.
Do not assume the UK system is the correct one!
ps You must carry your licence at all time when driving and all relevant documents for the vehicles must also be carried.
This means that for UK tourists they must carry the certificate of insurance (and proof they paid the last premium if in Spain) the log book/MOT certificate; though some countries will accept photo copies.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby true blue » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:37 am

Priority road / end of priority road I understand; it was the red triangle, black cross (X) and white background that flummoxed me (in my RHD car) in northern France yesterday!

Turns out it means 'crossroads with priority to the right' - not that it mattered in a sleepy village on a Wednesday morning. I'll know for next time though.

The biggest problem was the French seemingly intent on trying to kill themselves and others - plenty of dangerous overtaking (even when they could see me as oncoming traffic, causing me to brake heavily!), overtakes of 30mph farm vehicles on blind bends and around 80% of cars at night driving with full beam on, irrespective of traffic in front / oncoming. I've driven over there before and never had any real issues, so I'm not sure what had got into them yesterday. Hopefully Lyon will be calmer next week!
true blue

Postby sussex2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:41 am

'Turns out it means 'crossroads with priority to the right' - not that it mattered in a sleepy village on a Wednesday morning. I'll know for next time though'

Indeed it does!
ps All French villages are sleepy with hardly anyone around and not even a bar for a coffee mostly! I've always wondered about it and where everyone is!
Lyon itself if you get the chance is a fantastic city with some of the best food.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:34 am

true blue wrote:Priority road / end of priority road I understand; it was the red triangle, black cross (X) and white background that flummoxed me (in my RHD car) in northern France yesterday!

Turns out it means 'crossroads with priority to the right' - not that it mattered in a sleepy village on a Wednesday morning. I'll know for next time though.

The biggest problem was the French seemingly intent on trying to kill themselves and others - plenty of dangerous overtaking (even when they could see me as oncoming traffic, causing me to brake heavily!), overtakes of 30mph farm vehicles on blind bends and around 80% of cars at night driving with full beam on, irrespective of traffic in front / oncoming. I've driven over there before and never had any real issues, so I'm not sure what had got into them yesterday. Hopefully Lyon will be calmer next week!

It just been a full moon! If you've ever driven in coastal Sussex none of the above will be any of surprise :D
sussex2

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum