Tips for driving LHD cars?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby true blue » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:54 pm

I've driven on the Continent before, but at the end of the month will be driving a left-hand-drive hire car for the first time (in Lyon, if anyone cares).

While I expect that the usual control-familiarising cockpit drill will cover the basics, I wondered if anyone had any nuggets of hard-learnt experience for everything being back to front and having to change gear with the wrong hand.

I assume the pedals are in the same layout, but it's just occurred to me that I'm not actually certain!
true blue

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:07 am

I've banged the door a few times seeking the gearstick, but once you've done it enough times to hurt it helps you remember :D
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby GJD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:56 am

I find I have to concentrate quite a bit on my lateral position in my lane. For the car to be in the same lateral position, your body has to be in a different lateral position when you switch to wrong hand drive because you sit on the other side of the car. I think my mind subconsciously uses the lateral position of me within the lane as part of assessing and controlling the lateral position of the car within the lane. In a LHD car that means the car is further to the right than my mind thinks it is (i.e. on the continent, I can be closer to the nearside verge/ditch/rocks/cliff than I think I am).

I've never had too much of a problem having the gear stick on the other side (and don't worry, the pedal layout isn't reversed). I've occasionally reached into the door pocket for the handbrake lever, but the main thing is looking up and left for the rear view mirror and seeing only the corner of the roof.
Last edited by GJD on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJD

Postby Carbon Based » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 am

Ah, joy of picking up a Punto at the airport - the start point of many fine holidays!

Can't say we ever really had any problems. If anything, it makes remembering which side of the road to be on a lot easier.
Carbon Based

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:02 pm

I find the lateral position less of a problem in a LHD car driving on the right. A LHD car driving on the left, or a RHD car driving on the right, is very disorienting. Problems I've had or things to remember:

1. Stop trying to change gear with the window winder (or the door handle) :)
2. When arriving at a roundabout, remember to turn right.
3. When emerging back into traffic, particularly if the road is quiet (for example exiting a petrol station), take a couple of seconds to remind yourself which lane to adopt whether turning left or right.
4. In a small hire car on roads in foreign countries, remember that some other people drive VERY fast, and double check when changing lanes that you've checked all the blind spots.
5. Check all the requirements for hi-vis jackets, triangles, spare bulbs, alcohol limits, paperwork to carry etc. The hire company should be responsible for some of these, but not necessarily all.
6. Have fun. It really can be fun, once you stop stressing about it.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby 7db » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:00 pm

A great example of the autonomous system at work is that first trip in a LHD car --

You pull away and immediately you are overwhelmed by information -- often in a foreign language and the challenges of getting out of an airport car-hire place and navigating to your destination with impatient local drivers.

Your ear hears the revs rising and sends your left hand down to the gear-stick. It find the door handle and remembers what to do. You then interrupt your thoughts to realise that you need your right hand in this car so you send that down to the gear lever around the same time that your thinking system catches up with the situation.

In short you find yourself suddenly with no hands on the wheel, the door open and the engine bouncing off the rev-limiter.
7db

Postby jont » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:13 pm

7db wrote:A great example of the autonomous system at work is that first trip in a LHD car --

You pull away and immediately you are overwhelmed by information -- often in a foreign language and the challenges of getting out of an airport car-hire place and navigating to your destination with impatient local drivers.

Your ear hears the revs rising and sends your left hand down to the gear-stick. It find the door handle and remembers what to do. You then interrupt your thoughts to realise that you need your right hand in this car so you send that down to the gear lever around the same time that your thinking system catches up with the situation.

In short you find yourself suddenly with no hands on the wheel, the door open and the engine bouncing off the rev-limiter.

:lol: /voe? Never had it quite that bad. Serious jetlag tends not to help either on long haul, although many rentals are autos which at least removes one burden (instead you get the unintended emergency stop when your left foot goes to the floor.. on the brake pedal :oops: )

Also worth having a fiddle in the car park to work out where the lights/indicators are so you don't start smearing your windscreen when you intended to indicate. Euro cars tend to have the same set up as modern UK ones though.
jont

Postby Astraist » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Left hand driven cars often have more room for a dead pedal on the left, which is very good for body support when not using the clutch. It can be pressed for additional support during braking, cornering and overtaking.

A few hours should be enough to grasp the shift from right hand drive to left hand drive. The problem with reaching for the gear lever can be reduced if the car has shifter paddles. Anyhow, within one day you will probably get used to the car.
Astraist

Postby true blue » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks chaps - nice to have a few things to bear in mind (especially the point about positioning in the lane).

Will try to remember to eject as soon as the engine is bouncing off the rev limiter; hopefully I'll still be in the car park and won't get run over!
true blue

Postby Nigel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:45 am

In bulgaria at the moment, although I have driven a lot in Europe I find dealing with the car no problem but dealing with other drivers customs ect is the real talent, here no one has any priority at all at cross roads covered by t/l green means go and they all go even when crossing paths scary gets easier as you leave the big city but I had to drive straight through Sofia, on the plus though loads of great opertunaties for some great driving,
Nigel

Postby ericonabike » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:13 am

Spent two two week periods last year driving an LHD van over the Pyrenees supporting cycle tours. Took longer to acclimatise than it does to get used to driving a RHD vehicle abroad. Worst 'tell-tale' was making to get in the passenger door, even after two weeks. There's no easy answer IMHO, other than time, concentration and patience.
ericonabike

Postby jcochrane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:44 pm

I don't normally have a problem driving LH drive on the continent but find driving a RH drive abroad requires a little time to adjust.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby sussex2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:56 am

true blue wrote:I've driven on the Continent before, but at the end of the month will be driving a left-hand-drive hire car for the first time (in Lyon, if anyone cares).

While I expect that the usual control-familiarising cockpit drill will cover the basics, I wondered if anyone had any nuggets of hard-learnt experience for everything being back to front and having to change gear with the wrong hand.

I assume the pedals are in the same layout, but it's just occurred to me that I'm not actually certain!
[code][/code]

The pedals are exactly where you would expect to find them and in the same order.
Give yourself time is my advice and in particular learn what these two signs mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_306.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeich ... O_1980.svg

I've no wish to insult your intelligence but have found that even supposedly 'seasoned' UK drivers are often completely unaware of their importance; and their importance is paramount.
A brace of alcohol testers (which may or may not be supplied by a hire company) would be useful and can be had for as little as a quid each.
If you are intending to go into skiing areas ensure that a hire car is fitted with winter tyres and or snow chains.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Silk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:07 pm

sussex2 wrote:
true blue wrote:I've driven on the Continent before, but at the end of the month will be driving a left-hand-drive hire car for the first time (in Lyon, if anyone cares).

[code][/code]

The pedals are exactly where you would expect to find them and in the same order.
Give yourself time is my advice and in particular learn what these two signs mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_306.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeich ... O_1980.svg

I've no wish to insult your intelligence but have found that even supposedly 'seasoned' UK drivers are often completely unaware of their importance; and their importance is paramount.
A brace of alcohol testers (which may or may not be supplied by a hire company) would be useful and can be had for as little as a quid each.
If you are intending to go into skiing areas ensure that a hire car is fitted with winter tyres and or snow chains.

The links are in German, so I'm still none the wiser. Continental signs are rubbish at the best of times. This particular one gives absolutely no clue as to its meaning.
Silk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:00 pm

It means "Priority Road" and, conversely, "End of Priority Road". It appears to be the converse of a Give Way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... road_signs

and

http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/roadsigns/
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum