Zen and the art of Motorcar driving.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:13 am

Forget the debates about technique, steering and pedals use, how can we help those who lurk to safely use the basic tenets of AD to go about their driving without alienating the mass of drivers who don't have a clue about AD?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby sussex2 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 am

Observation and planning are good ones.
The basic planning and observations that AD drivers use are lost on a lot of people.
Once these things have been appreciated it is much more easy to introduce the system.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote: how can we help those who lurk to safely use the basic tenets of AD to go about their driving

First, answer another question:
What's in it for them?

Once you've identified a set of tangible benefits that the 'typical/average' driver* actual would find attractive, then you could move on to starting to look at ways of attracting their attention (and that might be a mammoth task!).

* Or whoever your target market actually is - have you decided that? Be specific!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Slink_Pink » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:45 pm

Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote: how can we help those who lurk to safely use the basic tenets of AD to go about their driving

What's in it for them?

Once you've identified a set of tangible benefits that the 'typical/average' driver* actual would find attractive, then you could move on to starting to look at ways of attracting their attention (and that might be a mammoth task!).

* Or whoever your target market actually is - have you decided that? Be specific!

Well if they're already lurking they must have some interest. I'd appeal to the wallet - it's always a good starting point. Also I used to/still find it quite refreshing when you realise just how much you didn't see before.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:32 am

Slink_Pink wrote:
Horse wrote:

What's in it for them?

Well if they're already lurking they must have some interest. I'd appeal to the wallet - it's always a good starting point. Also I used to/still find it quite refreshing when you realise just how much you didn't see before.

If they keep lurking then it might be that they're getting what they want anyway?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:11 am

Slink_Pink wrote:if they're already lurking they must have some interest.

Readers might not post for many reasons. Some possibilities include
  • AD is only a passing or minor interest
  • they have little time
  • they read infrequently, and conversations tend to have moved on beyond the point they might have wanted to discuss further
  • they're worried about how their contributions might be perceived
  • they feel discussions are often too rumbustious
  • many conversations are too piss-boiling and they feel it's better if they don't respond ;-)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Astraist » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 pm

If it is the interest of the reader or lurker you seek, than perhaps articles would prove more appealing than threads and discussions?
Astraist

Postby Carbon Based » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:42 am

What about videos, would they generate more involvement?
Carbon Based

Postby true blue » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Carbon Based wrote:What about videos, would they generate more involvement?

Try one and find out!
true blue

Postby Carbon Based » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Hmm, there was a risk that would happen.

So... currently waiting in a queue to publish.
Carbon Based

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

I was really thinking about someone who has achieved an AD qualification, say IAM or ROSPA at whatever level and how, their having come across this 'site, it might help them to continue to drive in an AD way, when so many around them don't.
So they don't just revert to the mean, because that would appear to be the path of least resistance.
Whilst just doing the daily grind of the commute or motorway to visit family and friends, without the more "esoteric" stuff that seems to be of greater interest here.
How can this place help to reinforce the benefits of using the tenets of AD for those who just want to drive safely and not explore anything "higher"?
WhoseGeneration

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:How can this place help to reinforce the benefits of using the tenets of AD for those who just want to drive safely and not explore anything "higher"?

Isn't this forum already doing that?
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Kimosabe wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:How can this place help to reinforce the benefits of using the tenets of AD for those who just want to drive safely and not explore anything "higher"?

Isn't this forum already doing that?

I don't think so.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Gareth » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:21 am

By making it clear that practicing every now and then, having the attitude of continuous development, and remembering that AD is for life and not just for a test, are all very important.

On that last point - if people have two methods of driving, 'normal' and 'advanced', then that is a clear indication that they haven't internalised the lessons of AD.

If people want to maintain their standard they will internally make the effort, or if that doesn't work so well for them, they will seek either formal or informal assessment to check their standards aren't slipping.

Continued membership of RoADAR requires a regular retest, although that alone may not be enough to keep the driving to a reasonable standard through the intervening period. This can be identified as being an issue if people feel the need to undertake significant amounts of practice in preparation for a retest.

Most IAM local groups will be pleased to arrange an informal drive for full members with a current observer or senior observer.

Some local groups have regular or irregular practice drives where people can drive with their peers, to mutually help each other to maintain their standards, much like some of us do on ADUK driving days.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby sussex2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 am

'then that is a clear indication that they haven't internalised the lessons of AD'

Phrases such as that would make a lot of people run a mile. It would me! :lol:
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum