Sir, Madam, are you 'lurking'?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:35 am

If so, that's fine :)

But could you add just one post in this thread, perhaps saying whether you get what you want from here by reading, or whether there's a reason you don't post?

Ta :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby GHST » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Horse,

Yes i've been lurking quite a lot lately,i like the forum but not really sure what i can add to it at the moment.
Achieved an IAM First last september and now thinking about masters but have just recently booked half a day with Andy Morrison of HPC,looking forward to this and will no doubt post up how it goes.

Glen :D
GHST

Postby martine » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:39 pm

GHST wrote:Hi Horse,

Yes i've been lurking quite a lot lately,i like the forum but not really sure what i can add to it at the moment.
Achieved an IAM First last september and now thinking about masters but have just recently booked half a day with Andy Morrison of HPC,looking forward to this and will no doubt post up how it goes.

Excellent Glen - you'll enjoy that I'm sure. He'll make you work harder than I did - but then again, I suppose you're more ready for it now.

How about coming along to an ADUK driving day sometime soon?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby GHST » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:17 pm

martine wrote:
GHST wrote:Hi Horse,

Excellent Glen - you'll enjoy that I'm sure. He'll make you work harder than I did - but then again, I suppose you're more ready for it now.

How about coming along to an ADUK driving day sometime soon?
I remember how bad my drive was that time i went out with you Martin haha,definitely ready for the next challenge now im sure ill learn a lot from Andy.
I will make an ADUK day sometime this year,are you going to the IAM skills day at Gaydon motor museum?
GHST

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:37 am

I lurk because I am new to the forum and therefore, I'm still learning my way around :P
TheInsanity1234

Postby philb328 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:41 pm

I generally lurk, mostly because I don't think I have much useful to contribute to any particular thread.

I find it useful to occasionally ask questions about particular issues, e.g., in the past, yellow boxes and the use of hard-shoulder running.
philb328

Postby Valver » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi, another lurker here too!

I passed IAM relatively recently, and was ushered in the direction of ADUK by my excellent Observer... I enjoy reading the forum posts, some are very informative - but like previous posters I'm not sure what I can usefully contribute, plus I'm not confident enough to wade into topics with the regulars.
Valver

Postby hir » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:08 pm

Valver wrote:Hi, another lurker here too!

... I'm not sure what I can usefully contribute, plus I'm not confident enough to wade into topics with the regulars.

... don't be too concerned. Just post the first thing that comes into your head - that's what everyone else does :lol:

If half the posters agree with you and the other half doesn't... you've probably got it just about right. 8)
hir

Postby Kimosabe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:06 pm

hir wrote:
... don't be too concerned. Just post the first thing that comes into your head - that's what everyone else does :lol:

If half the posters agree with you and the other half doesn't... you've probably got it just about right. 8)

What Hir Said. The more the merrier.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby rryles » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:47 pm

I've been a member for over 5 years and this is my first post. I think that counts as lurking :D

I do find it interesting reading a lot of the topics, but don't feel I could contribute much. I've not got any advanced qualifications. I took 6 attempts to pass my DVLA car test (although in my defence I did take a few years off from learning to drive after the first 3 attempts). I've read Roadcraft, as I've long had an interest in AD, but never had any advanced training.
rryles

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:52 pm

rryles wrote: I do find it interesting reading a lot of the topics, but don't feel I could contribute much.

On another board I frequent, the most challenging, pithy, posts are often by one member who very incisively cuts through the bull, waffle and nonsense and absurdity, spotting the 'emperor's new clothes' in the advice and discussion. She has no 'qualifications', just reads and thinks . . .

So ask questions, don't take everything posted at face value as 'right'. If it doesn't make sense, say so :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:37 pm

rryles wrote:I've been a member for over 5 years and this is my first post. I think that counts as lurking :D

I do find it interesting reading a lot of the topics, but don't feel I could contribute much. I've not got any advanced qualifications. I took 6 attempts to pass my DVLA car test (although in my defence I did take a few years off from learning to drive after the first 3 attempts). I've read Roadcraft, as I've long had an interest in AD, but never had any advanced training.

Don't be afraid to contact a local Group, of either persuasion and ask for a run out with an Observer to provide some feedback to you. Ask for an Observer known to be helpful to those who think that they wouldn't be able to undertake an AD course.
You will be able to undertake a course, given, if necessary, the appropriate support.
My wife doesn't read here, so I can use her as an example. She passed the DVLA test on her third attempt but the IAM on her first.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby foxtrot_mike » Mon May 05, 2014 9:05 am

Im a regular lurker, i have contributed occasionally but not for a while, i have found it very difficult to discuss AD issues probably because its difficult to put a physical scenario in words and have that interpreted correctly by the community on my part but and perhaps a bit of lack of understanding or jumping to conclusions by a small amount of members has put me off.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby richie349 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:40 pm

I must admit to being a regular lurker. I visit this site to have a quick glance over current forum topics. For what it's worth, I've always thought the topics seem to linger a bit and become stagnant. On any kind of forum, you'd expect to see new topics and discussions at least on a daily basis.

Based on my experience of running forums, ADUK would benefit from closing topics to new posts after a period of time. This would hopefully cause fresh content to be posted. Once an original post has a large number of responses, people are less inclined to sign in to add their bit as it will probably not get seen, and a previous conversation is likely to continue (rather liked being talked over in a face to face conversation).

It might also be worth considering adding a "guest" forum, where visitors to the site can make restricted contributions without actually registering first.

The latter is a risky strategy due to SPAM, but it could always be removed if the worst happened.

I'm now registered and logged in, so will do my best to be more active in future. Hopefully you find my suggestions worthy of consideration though.
richie349

Postby nigelc » Fri May 16, 2014 2:04 pm

I lurk a lot, not only here but other places (we won't go into that). I read the various topics and enjoy the tips, ideas and banter. I don't normally post unless there's a strong urge and often there's a gap between visits so I miss any replies
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
nigelc

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum