Driving a hybrid

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:55 pm

ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars/index_en.htm
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby jont » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:52 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I've often noticed that there are people who buy hybrid cars that offer mpg figures that are fantastic, and yet under normal driving conditions, they struggle to return mpg figures that would match that of a Golf diesel.
I wonder if this is because the hybrids are marketed as being able to offer higher figures with no difference in your driving style, when in actual fact, you have to change your driving style to exploit the full efficiency of such systems?

Nope, many will be company car drivers attracted by the artificially low benefit in kind figures created by the rather ridiculous and unrealistic EU testing regime for calculating Co2/MPG figures :roll:
jont

Postby stefan einz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:00 am

There is an important distinction between a hybrid car and a plug-in hybrid.

The first generation Panamera Hybrid was the former; the one I've recently acquired is the latter.

With the latter, I can charge the battery overnight using low tariff electricity. With the former you could not. With a commute of 25 miles, and an all-electric range of around 15-20 miles, I can complete one leg of the journey in mostly e-mode. The return journey needs to be in normal, hybrid mode, and so will be less economical. But over the course of the day, I hope to achieve an economy figure akin to the Panamera Diesel. If I could charge at work (which I can't), I would probably beat the Diesel's figures.

In truth, the battery capacity is still not high enough to give a really decent range, and so there is no doubt a long way to go to improve the overall fuel efficiency of these cars.

But in the meantime, the plus sides are very low emissions and an enjoyable driving sensation in urban situations.

Cheers
stefan einz

Postby TripleS » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:58 pm

stefan einz wrote:There is an important distinction between a hybrid car and a plug-in hybrid.

The first generation Panamera Hybrid was the former; the one I've recently acquired is the latter.

With the latter, I can charge the battery overnight using low tariff electricity. With the former you could not. With a commute of 25 miles, and an all-electric range of around 15-20 miles, I can complete one leg of the journey in mostly e-mode. The return journey needs to be in normal, hybrid mode, and so will be less economical. But over the course of the day, I hope to achieve an economy figure akin to the Panamera Diesel. If I could charge at work (which I can't), I would probably beat the Diesel's figures.

In truth, the battery capacity is still not high enough to give a really decent range, and so there is no doubt a long way to go to improve the overall fuel efficiency of these cars.

But in the meantime, the plus sides are very low emissions and an enjoyable driving sensation in urban situations.

Cheers

....which must make quite a change from that McLaren MP-whateveritis (sorry, I can't remember the model number).

Beg pardon, Stefan, not being cheeky, but just as a matter of interest, what is the CO2 figure and the 'road tax' on the MP? Both pretty high, I'd guess.
TripleS

Postby Carbon Based » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:08 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:...you have to change your driving style to exploit the full efficiency of such systems?

Would that be a problem? I'm really hoping I'm not the only one who gets some degree of satisfaction out of seeing an economy figure better the manufacturer's stated one.

I've not been able to manage that with previous cars. Getting 41mpg out of this one is rather pleasing.

Yes, that is very dependent on the type of journey but it still requires a bit of concentration. Although not a complete abandonment of progress if you want to make it for lunch 8) .

Anyway, requested a test drive in a fully electric vehicle next month. I'll be very interested to see how that goes, in every sense.
Carbon Based

Postby stefan einz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:20 pm

TripleS wrote:
stefan einz wrote:There is an important distinction between a hybrid car and a plug-in hybrid.

Cheers

....which must make quite a change from that McLaren MP-whateveritis (sorry, I can't remember the model number).

Beg pardon, Stefan, not being cheeky, but just as a matter of interest, what is the CO2 figure and the 'road tax' on the MP? Both pretty high, I'd guess.

The 12C is actually remarkably efficient for a car of its performance. 279 g/km of Co2. But road tax is the highest bracket, so over £1k in year one and then circa £500 thereafter.

My older CGT which has similar power and performance produces 475 g/km. Mmm. Not that green.
stefan einz

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Carbon Based wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:...you have to change your driving style to exploit the full efficiency of such systems?

Would that be a problem? I'm really hoping I'm not the only one who gets some degree of satisfaction out of seeing an economy figure better the manufacturer's stated one.

I've not been able to manage that with previous cars. Getting 41mpg out of this one is rather pleasing.

Yes, that is very dependent on the type of journey but it still requires a bit of concentration. Although not a complete abandonment of progress if you want to make it for lunch 8) .

Anyway, requested a test drive in a fully electric vehicle next month. I'll be very interested to see how that goes, in every sense.

You won't be the only one, but you will be one of few.
This sums up my response.
jont wrote:Nope, many will be company car drivers attracted by the artificially low benefit in kind figures created by the rather ridiculous and unrealistic EU testing regime for calculating Co2/MPG figures :roll:
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:50 am

stefan einz wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Cheers

The 12C is actually remarkably efficient for a car of its performance. 279 g/km of Co2. But road tax is the highest bracket, so over £1k in year one and then circa £500 thereafter.

My older CGT which has similar power and performance produces 475 g/km. Mmm. Not that green.

Ah well, you want some fun; and to hell with the regulators. Anyhow, thanks for the information.
TripleS

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum