How long to give the "ditherer"?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jont » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:48 pm

On the way home this evening I came across an interesting situation...
I caught up a queue behind a tractor. There were 2 cars behind the tractor, then me. They had been prevented from overtaking by oncoming traffic, but once that cleared there was a rather long cross view (Soham-Stretham road for those local, between Soham and Wicken)
The first car went, and I set myself up, expecting car 2 to follow through and leave me to go too while the view continued to remain clear.

Car 2 hesitated for a few seconds, so as I'd moved out (holding position), I decided that I'd take both car and tractor. Car 2 started to indicate to come out just as I passed them, although didn't move my way, so I think they had realised/heard I was there.

So... should I have waited even longer? Used a warning (I didn't use either horn or lights)?

But how long do you wait? I know it's never wrong to miss the overtake, but if someone wants to spend all day behind a tractor isn't that their perogative? In this case I probably could have waited longer, but often if you don't get on with the overtake, the opportunity is lost for some time.
jont

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 pm

In my view, I would've left it for about 30 seconds, then if they didn't overtake, I would start indicating, switch my lights (dipped beam) on, so I would stand out in their mirror, then if the road is still clear, I'll make my move.

I'd like to hear what others would do.
TheInsanity1234

Postby michael769 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Generally I would wait as long as I felt was necessary to satisfy myself they were not taking an opportunity to pass, usually body language can tell you all you need to know.

It may well be that your overtake woke up car 2, and prompted them to follow through. Did they give any indication of angst at your move?
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby jont » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:34 pm

michael769 wrote:Did they give any indication of angst at your move?

Nothing that I was around long enough to see :lol:
jont

Postby TripleS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:56 pm

I wouldn't wait very long - maybe a few seconds, no more: then if it was clear I would go, but be ready to give a warning toot if they started to make a move that would conflict with my overtake.

30 seconds is a very long time: I wouldn't wait that long.
TripleS

Postby 7db » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Out. Pause. Check. Go.
7db

Postby fungus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Thirty seconds at 20mph, that's 298yds. Sorry, I still use imperial measurements.

7db wrote:Out. Pause. Check. Go.

+ 1
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby swatchways » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 pm

jont wrote:(Soham-Stretham road for those local, between Soham and Wicken)

Slightly O/T - It seems you're very local, how have I missed that before? Would be good to meet up for a drive some time if you've time/inclination, always looking for more people to drive with locally!
swatchways

Postby waremark » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:06 pm

7db wrote:Out. Pause. Check. Go.

Out. Pause. Warning. Check. Go.

I would only use the indicator on rare occasions, for the driver behind.

My cars have daylight running lights.
waremark

Postby jont » Thu May 01, 2014 6:20 am

Thanks for everyones thoughts. I think I'd have no hesitation about "Out. Pause. Check. Go." for a normal multi vehicle overtake. My main reservation with this one was that with the lead vehicle being a tractor, you would expect most drivers to be looking for an overtake at some point rather than happy sat behind it.

Ah well, roads being what they are around here I'm sure I'll get some more practice in the next couple of days (certainly on my Bristol commute I'd never have the chance to look for half a dozen overtakes on the way home!)
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu May 01, 2014 7:29 am

swatchways wrote:how have I missed that before?

He only moved recently... your gain is my loss.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TR4ffic » Thu May 01, 2014 8:45 am

Not much to add really.

The problem with ditherers (in any situation) is that the longer you wait to see what they're going to do the more time you give them to make up their minds to actually do something (or not) - It can turn into a viscous circle of mutual indecisiveness. Additionally, they are displaying poor planning and judgement and, you must presume, poor observation so are they are unlikely to be taking note of what’s happening behind them…
Last edited by TR4ffic on Thu May 01, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby jont » Thu May 01, 2014 8:50 am

StressedDave wrote:3. How 'buried' was the second vehicle? If they're so close that they can't see that it's safe to move out and they haven't seen you move out, then they aren't coming out.

Not buried at all. Although it was a little low powered thing (Smart) - but even that at tractor pace (and with the space available along there) shouldn't have had any issues overtaking - indeed it had enough time to come through with another car as I was disappearing off into the distance.
jont

Postby trashbat » Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 am

For all the planning and extrapolation, there can always be a surprise.

I posted a while back about an overtake of mine that went wrong, fortunately without damage.

The second car behind the tractor (with the first staying put), a Renault Clio driven by an ~80 year old woman, went for the overtake as I was overtaking the longer line, and alongside her.

It probably wasn't what the first thing I would have expected in a paper planning exercise.

As regards the OP, I think you introduced doubt by hanging out in the overtaking position, although the assumption relies on them having seen you. If I'd been in Car 2, I would have favoured staying put, probably based on some quick judgement about whether I could out-accelerate you.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:37 pm

To be frank, I doubt there is a set process you can follow unless it's a bare minimum process as every situation will be different and will demand a different adaptation of the basic process, so I guess
"Out. Pause. Check. Go."

is your best bet :)
TheInsanity1234

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum