"only a fool"…………

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Sat May 31, 2014 9:42 am

Graham Wright wrote:
GJD wrote:
Graham Wright wrote:I would like to discourage tail gaters

So would I, ideally, but I don't see much prospect of being able to achieve it. Why would you think they're interested in your opinion? I suspect it would be more productive and constructive to focus on how you will manage being tailgated when it happens.

It seems there are various reasons for tailgating.

1. Aggressive drivers
2. Bullies
3. Those who feel uncomfortable being "out of touch". Like horses in pony trecking - they need companionship.

I see no chance of discouraging those in class 1 or 2. However, I do feel from my experience that a hint that the followers separation is inadequate sometimes produces results.

In the past, I admit to touching the brakes (sufficient to light the lights) and that has worked every time. But now that I have joined the elite, I see the possible danger in that.

What elite? Oh, you mean me. That's OK then. :lol:

As for reasons for tailgating, I suspect some people do it simply because of a (possibly subconscious) feeling of urgency in their travels. They think they are going to get where they're going a bit earlier than they otherwise would; and they don't see any danger in the close following.

I normally have a fairly generous amount of space in front of me, and it seems as if those who catch me up, and initially follow closely, soon drop back as if they are copying what I'm doing. In this case that's good, because the tailgating ceases without me needing to do anything to counter it.
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:40 am

I went on a 2 1/2 hour trek to Essex yesterday.

I actually paid attention on the motorway and it startled me how many cars were happily driving along leaving gaps of about 2/3 car lengths :shock:
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Sat May 31, 2014 8:51 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I went on a 2 1/2 hour trek to Essex yesterday.

I actually paid attention on the motorway and it startled me how many cars were happily driving along leaving gaps of about 2/3 car lengths :shock:

Normal then!
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:16 pm

fungus wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I went on a 2 1/2 hour trek to Essex yesterday.

Normal then!

When we got into Essex...
Gaps of 2 or 3 lengths quickly turned into gaps two-thirds of a length!

'There was a lady in a tiny little Hyundai i10 or something rubbish like that driving about a car length off the back of a lorry on the M4. Superb(!)

I am now under no doubt that the Welsh drivers and Scottish drivers are exceedingly good compared to the average driver in England.

I've never had any issues with people tailgating us in Wales. They've always stayed back until a safe overtaking opportunity arises, and the same goes for Scottish people.

Having said that, there are still those who treat Wales and Scotland as their racetracks!
Once in Wales, we were overtaken by some young chap in an Alfa Romeo Giulietta whilst going up a steep hill. He proceeded to cut virtually every corner that we followed him through, and he was taking a racing line through the corners :shock:
There was also the case of a smartly dressed lady overtaking a line of 6 or 7 cars with us at the head of it (we were towing an caravan, but don't worry, the cars weren't inconvenienced for too long, as the line built up maybe 10 minutes before we turned off the road into the caravan site we stayed at), literally centimetres before a blind bend with a huge loch to the right, and a near-vertical cliff to the left. Thank goodness no-one was rounding the corner in the other direction :roll:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Fignon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 pm

I remember trying to convince a friend of leaving a decent gap.

He had back pain problems but was constantly swapping between brake and accelerator, he was following cars he had no chance of overtaking.

I pointed out it would be less tiring if he could leave a bigger gap and be gentle on the throttle.

Unfortunately too much of a habit to break easily.
Fignon

Postby R2D2 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:54 pm

I try to ignore tailgaters, the brake light or cleaning windows in my experience just seems to annoy them even more
R2D2

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:30 pm

R2D2 wrote:I try to ignore tailgaters, the brake light or cleaning windows in my experience just seems to annoy them even more

It can be difficult to ignore them when they're filling up your mirrors :|
But personally I think if someone's tailgating you, just add a second to your following distance.
TheInsanity1234

Postby revian » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Ralge wrote:There, your speed (in good conditions) in km/hr is halved to define what space you must retain for yourself ahead. So, at 160km/hr, 80 metres

Thank you for this... I think that's helpful and practical.

My trip last week on a bursting to full M6 was that heavy goods vehicles were about 2 car lengths apart... Sometimes at best!

I'll go back to 'lurking' 8)
Wirral
revian

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:43 am

Just wanted to say on here, we went to Essex yesterday, and we were reminded of the need to have a good following distance when we were travelling through roadworks around South Mimms, as we were following an Ocado van doing about 45ish in L1, when all of a sudden, the van moved over, leaving just enough time to flash the indicator once.
By moving over, the Ocado van revealed a lorry stopped dead in L1.
It's safe to say that the brakes got a good testing.
TheInsanity1234

Postby gannet » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:55 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Just wanted to say on here, we went to Essex yesterday, and we were reminded of the need to have a good following distance when we were travelling through roadworks around South Mimms, as we were following an Ocado van doing about 45ish in L1, when all of a sudden, the van moved over, leaving just enough time to flash the indicator once.
By moving over, the Ocado van revealed a lorry stopped dead in L1.
It's safe to say that the brakes got a good testing.

scary - but things don't tend to happen 'all of a sudden' there will have been a lot of clues leading up to this which you could of been looking for - like other cars also moving out ahead of the ocado van. Motorways are rarely straight so look ahead for how all the lanes are moving (or not)... look for brake lights...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:24 pm

gannet wrote:scary - but things don't tend to happen 'all of a sudden' there will have been a lot of clues leading up to this which you could of been looking for - like other cars also moving out ahead of the ocado van. Motorways are rarely straight so look ahead for how all the lanes are moving (or not)... look for brake lights...

But that's the thing, for some bizarre reason, L2 and L3 ahead of the Ocado van were empty, and there weren't any cars in front of the Ocado van.

Also, the motorway was curving very, very gradually to the left, with lots of machinery and equipment obstructing the view to the left of the van, so we literally couldn't see the lorry until the Ocado van moved over.
TheInsanity1234

Postby R2D2 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Sounds like you got lucky and a bit of a weird situation. It can be difficult in areas where there are lots of roadworks as there are a lot more distractions.
R2D2

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Aye, I think we did get lucky at that point :lol:

Oh well, isn't that what driving is all about? Everything is going to be confusing and unpredictable until everything is operated by robots :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum