Locking Car when in motion

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Rick999 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Rick999

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:30 pm

That could be useful, but I'm not sure what the coppers would do if they were to stop you and find that? :|
TheInsanity1234

Postby Rick999 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:00 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:That could be useful, but I'm not sure what the coppers would do if they were to stop you and find that? :|

I'll take my chance :?
Rick999

Postby fungus » Thu May 29, 2014 8:12 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:That could be useful, but I'm not sure what the coppers would do if they were to stop you and find that? :|

That had crossed my mind, what with moves afoot to ban the carrying of any knife, which would cause me a problem when out fungus hunting as I carry one of these.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mushr ... YQ7Ak&biw=
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Rick999 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 pm

fungus wrote:

That had crossed my mind, what with moves afoot to ban the carrying of any knife, which would cause me a problem when out fungus hunting as I carry one of these.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mushr ... YQ7Ak&biw=

I carry mine in my vehicle which which is an operational fire response car. I leave this in the car not only for attending incidents in case I arrive before any other responders but also to assist should I come across an incident which on my travels. The banning of carrying all knives won't make any difference to those who carry them to use criminally (as in to hurt or threaten others rather than collect a few mushrooms or rescue someone in distress) as those who carry offensive weapons for those reasons will still do so i'm sure. Much like speed limits and many other sheep dip legislation we take everything to the lowest common denominator and penalise the masses whilst many of those the rules were intended to catch out go unpunished. :evil:
Rick999

Postby fungus » Thu May 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Rick999 wrote:The banning of carrying all knives won't make any difference to those who carry them to use criminally
Rick999 wrote: Much like speed limits and many other sheep dip legislation we take everything to the lowest common denominator and penalise the masses whilst many of those the rules were intended to catch out go unpunished.

Exactly.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:40 pm

It does make me wonder what would happen if we were to remove speed limits entirely.

My suspicion is: "not much", as those who will want to go faster will go faster, but they could be more focused on the road as there's no element of naughtiness, and risk.
Those who are perfectly happy travelling at the speeds they are travelling at at the moment, will probably continue to do so.
Those who dawdle will continue to dither, regardless of the speed limit.
Those who loon about and crash into lots of solid objects with lots of deaths resulting will probably continue to do so.

Having said that, accidents might actually be reduced in a few places because of people being more aware of the speed they are travelling at, and take more safety precautions as a result, whereas before, people just thought "the speed limit is 50, so I'll do 50 around this corner because it must be safe to do so" then end up in the back of a tractor.

I must say, if I was organising the roads, I would abolish speed limits on roads that don't need them, such as motorways, then introduce limits on roads that do need them (those tiny single-track roads), but they'd be lower than they are at the moment (on a single track road, I'd put a limit of either 40 or 50, not NSL). However, because people are allowed to go faster when it's safe to do so, they would probably be more understanding of speed limits and observe them more carefully on stretches of roads where they are in force. This is because they would understand that there's a reason for the speed limit, as there wouldn't be one otherwise.

Does my method of thinking make sense?
TheInsanity1234

Postby jont » Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Does my method of thinking make sense?

Not to anyone in authority :roll:

The problem now is that you have a generation of people relying on the number on a stick as a crutch to tell them the maximum safe speed. In the absence of that, plenty of people will be unable to judge what an appropriate speed is. The majority will continue to choose 40-45mph everywhere because it "feels" safe.

Also, remember that most people drive at what they think is a sensible, safe speed. Everyone going quicker than them is a lunatic, and everyone going slower is a doddery fool.

Sadly. removal of limits would only make sense with a radical change in the training and licensing regime and a system of regular re-training and testing.
jont

Postby Rick999 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:50 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Does my method of thinking make sense?

I think that most of what you say is true, although I don't think that your methodology is consistent when you suggest lowering the limit on smaller rural roads. I think you will find that most people already drive slower on those already and certainly those who class themselves as advanced. For example when I completed my initial HPC entrance course a proportion of this was done on those kind of roads which were often negotiated at 40 mph or even less by applying the "stop in the distance you can see to be clear" rule. As you rightly point out, the idiots will still be idiots whatever limit you place upon them.
Rick999

Postby fungus » Thu May 29, 2014 10:39 pm

Rick999 wrote:For example when I completed my initial HPC entrance course a proportion of this was done on those kind of roads which were often negotiated at 40 mph or even less by applying the "stop in the distance you can see to be clear" rule.

Or half that distance if the road is single track.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby skodatezzer » Fri May 30, 2014 12:07 am

Theinsanity 1234 for Minister of Transport, that's what I say!! :D
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby Rick999 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:03 am

fungus wrote:
Rick999 wrote:For example when I completed my initial HPC entrance course a proportion of this was done on those kind of roads which were often negotiated at 40 mph or even less by applying the "stop in the distance you can see to be clear" rule.

Indeed but that is assuming that the oncoming driver applies the same criteria. :wink:
Rick999

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:59 am

Rick999 wrote:
fungus wrote:

Indeed but that is assuming that the oncoming driver applies the same criteria. :wink:

Which, if the drivers around here are to be considered, is no!
They just hurtle along the roads with seemingly no thought as to what could be coming the other way!

skodatezzer wrote:Theinsanity 1234 for Minister of Transport, that's what I say!! :D

I might decide to go into politics! :lol:
The only problem is, I might be barred from politics as my IQ is about 100 points too high! ;) :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby jont » Fri May 30, 2014 12:03 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I might decide to go into politics! :lol:
The only problem is, I might be barred from politics as my IQ is about 100 points too high! ;) :mrgreen:

I see you already have a politicians modesty ;)
jont

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:05 pm

jont wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I might decide to go into politics! :lol:

I see you already have a politicians modesty ;)

I'll be the most modest politician you've ever seen! (And the best, of course! :mrgreen:)
TheInsanity1234

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum