What do you do?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:PS: what's the arm signal for 'go on then, if you really must' ? Humourous bumper stickers and a big Brake sticker of motoring doom in the rear window surely resolves such issues. Surely. :shock:

Hand out of the window rotating forwards in a circular fashion?

If my memory serves me from the when I took my "L" test this signal meant "I am turning left" The signal for I am prepared to be overtaken was the arm pointed downward and moved backwards and forwards.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby davidli » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:57 am

The
[url=http://www.worldjammer.com/categories/Handheld_Signal_Jammer/
]portable signal jammer[/url] ,you can have a look at
davidli

Postby martine » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks Gareth for reporting the spammer above...he signed up this morning and under suggestions from other members, I automatically approved his login (no 'vetting' email first). It took minutes before they had posted this junk. I have or course banned him but I'll leave the post their for the moment so people can appreciate the problem.

I'll keep the auto-approval going for a little while as an experiment but don't be surprised if you see quite a bit more spam being posted on our lovely forum.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby trashbat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 am

Obviously I haven't attempted to sign up recently so I don't know what the page looks like, but is there anything more offered by later versions of phpBB, or even plugins for this one? e.g. Captcha codes, puzzles etc

I don't imagine it's perfect, but it might be something to look into (whoever's responsible)
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby martine » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 pm

trashbat wrote:Obviously I haven't attempted to sign up recently so I don't know what the page looks like, but is there anything more offered by later versions of phpBB, or even plugins for this one? e.g. Captcha codes, puzzles etc

I don't imagine it's perfect, but it might be something to look into (whoever's responsible)

The new user registration has a security question which I believe stops spambots (unless they are cleverer than I think) but of course lets human spammers through when they answer correctly.

As you will have seen, I approved 2 users today and both have quickly turned out to be spammers. :twisted: It's really annoying and I don't see any alternative to entering into a short email dialogue with a new user before approval, in an attempt to vet them. ADUK is running on a relatively old version of PHPBB and Darren doesn't have the time or inclination to upgrade it - bearing in mind there is some custom code that would need migrating.

Suggestions welcome.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby trashbat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Well, I'm happy to get stuck into the web side of things if anyone so desires, although I can appreciate it's rarely that simple.

I had a look myself and I see what you mean about the security question. I suspect it actually is automatically circumvented but I also understand that e.g. the lorry one today is probably a real person posting in a directed fashion. I think that's rarer though - it is at least on topic.

I remember similar issues with phpBB installs getting overrun in the past, so I would look at it primarily as a technical issue. Failing that, I'd also think that a vetted 'why are you here' question at the point of signup - rather than a separate dialogue - is a much better mechanism for everyone.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum