Bit extreme!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jont » Sat May 31, 2014 10:42 am

While I agree a sat nav screen is helpful, I'd really like to see some points dished out to idiots with is stuck right in the middle of their view. Similarly, manufactureres who put the screen well below the normal line of sight also need a good slap. Just on top of the dash seems to be a natural place where it's not interfering with your view, but you don't have to look away too far from the road to see it.

I suspect before long there will be "heads-up" displays with an augmented reality view and the arrow can highlight which bit of road it wants you to take overlaid on the windscreen.
jont

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:27 am

My dad likes to put the satnav in front of the rev counter, as the rev counter is not really necessary in everyday driving, so the position of the satnav is useful because when he glances down to check the speed, he can also check what the satnav is telling him to do etc.

The only trouble is on the Yeti, there doesn't appear to be anywhere in front of the rev counter that you can position a satnav, so we may have to re-think placements.
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:37 am

I often look at the rev counter in normal driving.
waremark

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:25 am

Mum and dad say they learnt before rev counters, so they drive by feel of the engine, rather than by the numbers on the counter.

Still, they occasionally make dodgy gear choices.

Pees me right off, when said father is chugging through town at 30, in 6th, as he recently slowed down from 60, and the engine is juddering itself off the bleeding mounts.
TheInsanity1234

Postby R2D2 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:58 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:My dad likes to put the satnav in front of the rev counter, as the rev counter is not really necessary in everyday driving, so the position of the satnav is useful because when he glances down to check the speed, he can also check what the satnav is telling him to do etc.

The only trouble is on the Yeti, there doesn't appear to be anywhere in front of the rev counter that you can position a satnav, so we may have to re-think placements.

I think in your dads case this is a good place but I find a lot of cars don't have a place infront of the rev count. I personally also look at the rev count so would find the satnav distracting in that position
R2D2

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:27 pm

R2D2 wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:My dad likes to put the satnav in front of the rev counter, as the rev counter is not really necessary in everyday driving, so the position of the satnav is useful because when he glances down to check the speed, he can also check what the satnav is telling him to do etc.

I think in your dads case this is a good place but I find a lot of cars don't have a place in front of the rev count. I personally also look at the rev count so would find the sat-nav distracting in that position

It's the same issue in the Yeti we've just got, there's no flat area in front of the rev-counter, so we're having to think of other places we can put a sat-nav without sticking it to the windscreen because of those annoying circles.
We might try a dashboard mounted option with the sat-nav to the right of the steering wheel in between the A-pillar and the bump housing the speedometer etc.
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:52 pm

It can often be useful for the passenger to be able to get at the satnav. Unless you have ruled that out, a central position may be better. I never find satnavs in the lower centre of the screen get in the way of vision.

I often take advantage of the movement of the rev counter out of peripheral vision when changing gear. It is one of the aids to accurate rev matching for smoothness and mechanical sympathy. I would not contemplate hiding the rev counter.
waremark

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:06 pm

waremark wrote:It can often be useful for the passenger to be able to get at the satnav. Unless you have ruled that out, a central position may be better. I never find satnavs in the lower centre of the screen get in the way of vision.

I often take advantage of the movement of the rev counter out of peripheral vision when changing gear. It is one of the aids to accurate rev matching for smoothness and mechanical sympathy. I would not contemplate hiding the rev counter.

Well, we've ordered the sat-nav 2 days ago, so we'll have to decide what happens when it arrives and we can see where it can go.

We thought of getting some sort of CD-slot mount, as that would place the sat-nav in the middle, and we have no need for CDs now, as the radio has a SD card slot, so we can put our entire music library onto a SD card and do away with the need for CDs.
The only trouble with that is the radio is touch-screen, and the CD-slot mount would restrict the view of the radio screen :(
TheInsanity1234

Postby onlinegenie » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:25 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:we can put our entire music library onto a SD card

You must have a very small music collection!
onlinegenie

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:57 pm

onlinegenie wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:we can put our entire music library onto a SD card

You must have a very small music collection!

Either that or it's a big SD card :lol:
It's 32 gb, and apparently the music collection takes up about 17-18 gb of the memory.

We don't have thousands of CDs from a certain artist, as we just listen to whatever music we like at that point in time, regardless of the artist.
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum