Why no ROSPA in North Yorkshire?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Rick101 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Does anybody know why there is no ROSPA car group in North Yorkshire?

I was really surprised to find there was no offering in the biggest county in the country and any clubs that once were, have since closed down. :(

Any ex N.Yorks members on here?

Rick

p.s Am trying to join West Yorks ROSPA but on the whole it seems a very difficult exercise compared to IAM. Maybe that's one thing the high IAM fees help with.
Rick101

Postby dombooth » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 am

If you ask Rospa head office anything, prepare to be ignored.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:52 pm

dombooth wrote:If you ask Rospa head office anything, prepare to be ignored.

Dom

Or if you're polite, prepare to be treated courteously. Rospa head office is staffed by an incredibly small number of people, and they're all very helpful. They are under pressure a lot of the time, though.

To the OP, Groups exist because there are volunteers who care, and who do the work to run them. There are a few areas where a Group could exist, but doesn't, because there's never been the critical mass to run one. Oxfordshire is another case in point - you'd think it'd be prime territory, but there's never been a Group there because there weren't enough people interested enough to devote the time to it. A bit like the answer to "why are there no driving days in my area?", sometimes the answer is "well, if you want it badly enough, how about doing it yourself!".
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby dombooth » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:

Dom

Or if you're polite, prepare to be treated courteously. Rospa head office is staffed by an incredibly small number of people, and they're all very helpful. They are under pressure a lot of the time, though.

I was polite, submitted a message from the website 3/4 weeks ago, haven't heard anything since.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Rick101 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: A bit like the answer to "why are there no driving days in my area?", sometimes the answer is "well, if you want it badly enough, how about doing it yourself!".

New to this and to this forum but once I've found my feet I was going to post offering 'a days drive' for fellow Northern members.

Doubt it'll be much like the official 'driving days' but at least it will be something for the Northern members to attend. :)
Rick101

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Rick101 wrote:once I've found my feet I was going to post offering 'a days drive' for fellow Northern members.

Plenty of good roads up there. Will send a PM.

Rick101 wrote:Doubt it'll be much like the official 'driving days'

'official' days are not official ;)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby superplum » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:52 pm

dombooth wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:

Dom

I was polite, submitted a message from the website 3/4 weeks ago, haven't heard anything since.

Dom

Personnel changes left the "manager" running it on her own and waiting for, and training up, a new assistant. We all had to wait for responses, even those waiting for test information. Clearly responses had to be prioritised. Patience usually wins!
8)
superplum

Postby superplum » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Rick101 wrote:Does anybody know why there is no ROSPA car group in North Yorkshire?

I was really surprised to find there was no offering in the biggest county in the country and any clubs that once were, have since closed down. :(

Any ex N.Yorks members on here?

Rick

p.s Am trying to join West Yorks ROSPA but on the whole it seems a very difficult exercise compared to IAM. Maybe that's one thing the high IAM fees help with.

Have you tried the Ryedale Group (assuming they're still around)? Google found them pretty quickly - http://www.ryedale-advanced-driving.org.uk/index.html

:D
superplum

Postby Rick101 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:07 pm

It's closed.

Sent several emails and made numerous calls none of which were answered. Eventually found out from another source it close quite some time ago.

This is where I think IAM can somewhat justify it's higher cost, the admin/website is up to date and it's easy to get hold of a local representative.

I've finally managed to set a date with a W. Yorks ROSPA mentor though so looking forward to get out with them. :)
Rick101

Return to Advanced Driving Forum