Cancellation of speed limits.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Graham Wright » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:54 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I find people who don't treat limits as targets when appropriate exceedingly annoying :lol:

………like in some of our lanes where they are perforated? :wink:
Graham Wright

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Graham Wright wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I find people who don't treat limits as targets when appropriate exceedingly annoying :lol:

Me too! I'm also prone to considering some posted limits as advisory but only when i'm certain that what i'm doing is safe and unobserved.

I'd like to see NSL signs replaced with signed speed limits in numbers, in the hope that some drivers might respond accordingly. I'd also like to see a second 'Advanced' part of a standard civilian driving license added before a driver is considered to be fully competent. By doing so, AD would not be considered such a niche group activity. It's not as if many ADI's can't already coach to that level and a lower insurance premium after successfully completing the course, could be the carrot that entices drivers to take it. Just my thoughts.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby jont » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Kimosabe wrote:I'd like to see NSL signs replaced with signed speed limits in numbers, in the hope that some drivers might respond accordingly.

Nope. Get rid of them altogether. Stop providing drivers with the crutch of a number on a stick. It's almost never the safe maximum speed for a given section of road.
jont

Postby triquet » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:56 pm

There are still an awful lot of people out there who think that single carriageway NSL is 50. Found this out when I did a speed awareness thingy, and I was surprised how many of the group had it wrong.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby martine » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:01 am

Kimosabe wrote:...It's not as if many ADI's can't already coach to that level...

I would suggest the majority of ADI's couldn't coach (or drive) to AD level. :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:07 pm

jont wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:I'd like to see NSL signs replaced with signed speed limits in numbers, in the hope that some drivers might respond accordingly.

Nope. Get rid of them altogether. Stop providing drivers with the crutch of a number on a stick. It's almost never the safe maximum speed for a given section of road.

Fair point and I agree in principle but I think the easier it is for people to know what to do, the better. If that means numbers on sticks, so be it. At least numbers would mean more to most drivers than a diagonal black line on a white background.

An enlightened driver recently told me that treating 40-ish mph drivers in NSL's as potential players in a game, was a good way to encourage strategising. I'm certain that a more powerful car is the solution to this for me and the missus just sighs...
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby triquet » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 pm

You can't really have numbers on a stick instead of a diagonal black line because the NSL varies with type of vehicle.
Jim
triquet

Postby michael769 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:52 am

triquet wrote:You can't really have numbers on a stick instead of a diagonal black line because the NSL varies with type of vehicle.

And yet 50mph limits are routinely indicated by a 50 even though trucks are subject to a 40 limit (and here in Scotland we have been putting 70 signs on motorways since the 1960s).

The purpose of road signs are to indicate the speed limit that applies to a road, not the speed that applies to a vehicle.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby triquet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:29 am

michael769 wrote:
triquet wrote:You can't really have numbers on a stick instead of a diagonal black line because the NSL varies with type of vehicle.

And yet 50mph limits are routinely indicated by a 50 even though trucks are subject to a 40 limit (and here in Scotland we have been putting 70 signs on motorways since the 1960s).

The purpose of road signs are to indicate the speed limit that applies to a road, not the speed that applies to a vehicle.

You have a point. The other problem is that if one had numbers on sticks there might be some obscure legal requirement to have repeaters whereas an NSL applies until there is another limit sign. Whatever. I just wish that there was consistency about the application of speed limits.
Jim
triquet

Postby martine » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:55 pm

triquet wrote:I just wish that there was consistency about the application of speed limits.

Oh there is...here in South Gloucestershire you can rely on previously fine NSLs being made 50 :twisted:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:17 pm

martine wrote:
triquet wrote:I just wish that there was consistency about the application of speed limits.

Oh there is...here in South Gloucestershire you can rely on previously fine NSLs being made 50 :twisted:

And they are consistent in ignoring the DfT guidelines :evil:
jont

Postby triquet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:51 pm

There are some weird limits here in Oxfordshire, where a nice open country road can have an NSL, a 50, a 40, or a 30 just on some mysterious local whim.
Jim
triquet

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 pm

triquet wrote:There are some weird limits here in Oxfordshire, where a nice open country road can have an NSL, a 50, a 40, or a 30 just on some mysterious local whim.

Indeed. I know the road that goes directly from Newbury to Wantage past Snelsmore Common is NSL while it's in Berkshire, but shortly after crossing the border, it goes down to 50, and suddenly goes back up to 60 for no palpable reason.
TheInsanity1234

Postby triquet » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:52 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
triquet wrote:There are some weird limits here in Oxfordshire, where a nice open country road can have an NSL, a 50, a 40, or a 30 just on some mysterious local whim.

Indeed. I know the road that goes directly from Newbury to Wantage past Snelsmore Common is NSL while it's in Berkshire, but shortly after crossing the border, it goes down to 50, and suddenly goes back up to 60 for no palpable reason.

Yes I know that one. Oxfordshire and Berkshire seem to have quite different policies on speed limits (as well as road maintenance).
Jim
triquet

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:19 pm

triquet wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Yes I know that one. Oxfordshire and Berkshire seem to have quite different policies on speed limits (as well as road maintenance).

Indeed.

I seem to notice that Berkshire seem to be okay-ish, but Oxfordshire is a bit NSL-50 happy.
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum