ABS

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby cupraray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:@Cupraray - When YOU become an advanced driver, on the other hand, you will realise you never stop learning, and appreciate that you might be grateful for those systems one day, without believing yourself to be above such things :lol:

If you activate a safety device, you are losing control of the car, and not driving within the safe limits of the vehicle, or the road conditions. Safety devices are not a replacement for your incompetences.
cupraray

Postby TripleS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:35 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
skodatezzer wrote:as he is already displaying the correct mind-set.

Indeed, the correct mindset is: "I'm vastly better than everyone else" ;) :lol: :mrgreen:

Yep, that's always been the secret of my success. 8)
TripleS

Postby cupraray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:37 pm

On the other hand, I have yet to see you drive. Fancy an ADUK driving day sometime

Sure, if your in Cornwall any time this summer, give me a shout Skodatezzer
cupraray

Postby TripleS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:38 pm

cupraray wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:@Cupraray - When YOU become an advanced driver, on the other hand, you will realise you never stop learning, and appreciate that you might be grateful for those systems one day, without believing yourself to be above such things :lol:

If you activate a safety device, you are losing control of the car, and not driving within the safe limits of the vehicle, or the road conditions. Safety devices are not a replacement for your incompetences.

Steady on a bit, that's rather uncalled for.

There are some exceedingly good drivers here, but I doubt if any of them truly believe they are infallible and have no use for modern safety aids like ABS etc.
TripleS

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:38 pm

cupraray wrote:

Maybe true but as StressedDave has mentioned we are not perfect also things can happen outside our control or that can be anticipated. Advanced driving at the end of the day, as used to be said at Hendon Police Driving School, can only assure you do not have an accident of your own making.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby cupraray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:36 pm

jcochrane wrote:Maybe true but as StressedDave has mentioned we are not perfect also things can happen outside our control or that can be anticipated. Advanced driving at the end of the day, as used to be said at Hendon Police Driving School, can only assure you do not have an accident of your own making.

they also said at Hendon that nothing happens suddenly, the clues are there for you to observe and react accordingly.
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quote markers
cupraray

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:30 pm

cupraray wrote:they also said at Hendon that nothing happens suddenly, the clues are there for you to observe and react accordingly.

Well "they" at Hendon are obviously totally wrong.
In fact I'm surprised that such would have been said.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 pm

cupraray wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Maybe true but as StressedDave has mentioned we are not perfect also things can happen outside our control or that can be anticipated. Advanced driving at the end of the day, as used to be said at Hendon Police Driving School, can only assure you do not have an accident of your own making.

they also said at Hendon that nothing happens suddenly, the clues are there for you to observe and react accordingly.

This sounds like the quote from the Roadcraft video in which Chris Gilbert prefaces his comment about things happening suddenly with "Very very few things happen suddenly" rather than "Nothing happens suddenly" as quoted in your post.

My apologies to you if I misunderstood and that you were not quoting from this video.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby cupraray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:21 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
cupraray wrote:they also said at Hendon that nothing happens suddenly, the clues are there for you to observe and react accordingly.

Well "they" at Hendon are obviously totally wrong.
In fact I'm surprised that such would have been said.

heaven help us when we meet you on the road
cupraray

Postby cupraray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 pm

[/quote]

This sounds like the quote from the Roadcraft video in which Chris Gilbert prefaces his comment about things happening suddenly with "Very very few things happen suddenly" rather than "Nothing happens suddenly" as quoted in your post.

My apologies to you if I misunderstood and that you were not quoting from this video.[/quote] no, your right. I watched the video in 97 and to this day have been thinking that nothing happens suddenly,but obviously I'll have to keep my eyes open for the very few
cupraray

Postby cupraray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:51 pm

cupraray wrote:

My apologies to you if I misunderstood and that you were not quoting from this video.[/quote] no, your right. I watched the video in 97 and to this day have been thinking that nothing happens suddenly,but obviously I'll have to keep my eyes open for the very few[/quote]
whose generation would be one
cupraray

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:58 pm

cupraray wrote:heaven help us when we meet you on the road

What a meaningless statement, providing nothing to any discussion about what could happen on any road, at any time and that could not be anticipated by one individual.
You appear to be what some call a "Driving God", no more to be learnt, well if that's so, why come here with your absolutes?
Just leave us incompetents to struggle on in our ignorance.
The aviation world talks about holes in cheese lining up, it can happen on the roads and result in harm to innocents without their having any chance to save theirselves.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:06 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
cupraray wrote:heaven help us when we meet you on the road

What a meaningless statement, providing nothing to any discussion about what could happen on any road, at any time and that could not be anticipated by one individual.
You appear to be what some call a "Driving God", no more to be learnt, well if that's so, why come here with your absolutes?
Just leave us incompetents to struggle on in our ignorance.
The aviation world talks about holes in cheese lining up, it can happen on the roads and result in harm to innocents without their having any chance to save theirselves.

I'm just going to pop this here.

Cupraray, if you're so clever, please do explain to me how that could've happened?
TheInsanity1234

Postby cupraray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:52 pm

[quote="

Cupraray, if you're so clever, please do explain to me how that could've happened?[/quote]
I'm not sure what your looking for, the woman drove off the top of the multi storey car park, and landed on that A20 RAB
cupraray

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:56 pm

cupraray wrote:[quote="

Cupraray, if you're so clever, please do explain to me how that could've happened?

I'm not sure what your looking for, the woman drove off the top of the multi storey car park, and landed on that A20 RAB[/quote]

You're not very good at "driving" a computer, nor reading comprehension.
Not had the Hendon course?
Last edited by WhoseGeneration on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhoseGeneration

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum