ABS

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:06 am

trashbat wrote:Was it possible to go fast (or far) enough in a Sprite to actually require ABS? #justsayin

Cheeky blighter! :P

Well it couldn't be described as a high performance car, but I used to cover some long distances in it, albeit with a maximum speed of about 80 mph. That's fast enough to get into a quite a bit of trouble, I'd say.

Incidentally, shall we ever get away from the somewhat disconcerting 'pedal-pulsing' effect of ABS, or has that already been achieved? I certainly find it unwelcome, as it instinctively makes me want to reduce the pedal pressure - which is completely the wrong thing to do.

TBH, the only times my ABS has ever been activated is where I've put nearside wheels onto a soft verge when meeting another vehicle in a narrow lane; or in snowy conditions; and I've invariably felt I'd have been quite happy not to have the system. YMMV.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jonquirk » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:23 am

I used to deliver cars on trade plates, between 1998 & 2000. The first time I experienced ABS activating was on approach to a roundabout when the road was wet. A vehicle on the roundabout indicated left too soon and I had to change my mind about rolling onto the roundabout. The extra pressure on the brake pedal and the wet surface caused the ABS to operate. At the time I thought "so that's what ABS feels like".

Since those days I've had a Ford Ranger which developed a faulty wheel sensor which caused the ABS to kick in on dry roads when pulling up at a T-junction.

The noise and feel of ABS always sounds a warning to me that I'm not driving to the conditions. If you have never activated your ABS I say well done although there's probably a fine line between that and failing to make progress.

A long time ago I stacked a Hilux pickup into a pile of boards when I failed to react to a front wheel skid properly. My foot stayed glued to the brake pedal while I ploughed straight on, on full lock. ABS might have saved the day then.
jonquirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:00 pm

chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:
There used to be a story about somebody criticising Rolls-Royce for continuing to fit drum brakes, long past the time when most manufactureres had adopted disc brakes. The response from R-R was along the lines of, "When disc brakes are as good as our drum brakes, we'll consider using them!"

Reminds me of the succinct reply given by RR when asked the horsepower of one of their cars:
"Sufficient, Sir".

Evidently, when you produce lots of expensive cars for a living, then you do have the right to be sarcastic :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:08 pm

chriskay wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Evidently, when you produce lots of expensive cars for a living, then you do have the right to be sarcastic :lol:

That's not sarcasm; it's an unshakeable confidence in one's product. :mrgreen:

A good excuse to disguise the insults caused by the stupidity of some customers ;) :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:55 pm

chriskay wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Evidently, when you produce lots of expensive cars for a living, then you do have the right to be sarcastic :lol:

....and a recognition that 'going with the herd' is not always the best thing to do. :)
TripleS

Postby Silk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:27 am

TripleS wrote:
chriskay wrote:

....and a recognition that 'going with the herd' is not always the best thing to do. :)

It could have something to do with the brand being more important than the product. People tend to buy a car based on what they mistakenly believe it will say about them - even if it usually says quite the opposite of what they intended. The quality, or otherwise takes second place.

Of course, this doesn't apply to anyone on ADUK, who always go for the sensible option. ;-)
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:40 am

Silk wrote:Of course, this doesn't apply to anyone on ADUK, who always go for the sensible option. ;-)

Who? ;)
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:07 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:Of course, this doesn't apply to anyone on ADUK, who always go for the sensible option. ;-)

Who? ;)

You could be right. It should probably be "whom". ;-)
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Who? ;)

Damn! :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Who? ;)

I really don't know which is correct, but it sounds a bit odd if you say, "....whom always go for the sensible option."

Maybe it's just me: a lot of things I say sound a bit odd!

Anyhow where's that educated gent, i.e. CK, when we need 'im? He'll tell us wot's right.
TripleS

Postby Silk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:58 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:You could be right. It should probably be "whom". ;-)

I really don't know which is correct, but it sounds a bit odd if you say, "....whom always go for the sensible option."

It's about time the word "whom" was made obsolete as it's no longer necessary in modern English. A bit like "heal and toe" and "double de-clutch". ;-)

TripleS wrote:Maybe it's just me: a lot of things I say sound a bit odd!

If they're anything like the things you write, then almost certainly. ;-)
Silk

Postby MGF » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Whom follows a preposition. It isn't correct to use it in the above example.
MGF

Postby Silk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 pm

MGF wrote:Whom follows a preposition. It isn't correct to use it in the above example.

"Who" is used when it's the subject of the verb in a sentence an "whom" when it's the object. The problem is, is that sentences can become complicated and fragmented so that it makes it hard to tell easily which is the subject and which is the object. Also, "who" tends to be interchangeable in spoken English unless you're a Radio 4 presenter, so most have lost the ability to just know as they would with "He" and "Him", for example. Even if people know the difference, it can come across as a bit pompous, so it's easier to default to "who" in every situation.
Silk

Postby MGF » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Follow the preposition rule and it will sound ok even if it isn't technically correct. More importantly you avoid using whom when you should be using who. This means you avoid the appearance of trying to be clever when getting it wrong.
MGF

Postby superplum » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:08 pm

Silk wrote:
MGF wrote:Whom follows a preposition. It isn't correct to use it in the above example.

"Who" is used when it's the subject of the verb in a sentence an "whom" when it's the object. The problem is, is that sentences can become complicated and fragmented so that it makes it hard to tell easily which is the subject and which is the object. Also, "who" tends to be interchangeable in spoken English unless you're a Radio 4 presenter, so most have lost the ability to just know as they would with "He" and "Him", for example. Even if people know the difference, it can come across as a bit pompous, so it's easier to default to "who" in every situation.

So, the Beeb continues to get it wrong for Dr Who - he's really Dr Whom!
Does he know? Back to driving now?
:wink:
superplum

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum