Cockpit drill - safety instructions for passengers?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Jon M » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:38 am

Hi all,

During an IAM/RoSPA cockpit drill, do you think it's worth informing any passengers about things they may need to know in an emergency? None of the cockpit drill guidelines I've seen has mentioned this. Specifically I was thinking of the location of first aid kits, fire extinguishers, warning triangles etc which tend to be cleverly tucked away in most cars. Also how to use alternative 'escape' routes - in my case I have removable roof panels which could prove useful for exiting the car if there was an accident. Any thoughts welcomed, thanks

Jon
Jon M

Postby vonhosen » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:13 pm

Personally I would say no.

The cockpit drill is about showing your awareness of where the major most used controls are & that you have done your pre-drive safety checks.

It will become too long & laborious if you go into too much depth. I wouldn't even talk about controls on things like the radio personally.

Evrybody has their own little style & flavour but provided you have covered the majors that is what is important.

I always think the big thing about the cockpit drill is the human aspect issues relating to it.
It is the one thing that you will have total control over.
It is what is going to give the tester their first impression of you.
It is the one thing you can totally prepare for & won't alter once you have it down to a fine art.
It should be punchy, to the point & professional in it's delivery (not uhmming & arring)

If you give a good cockpit drill, as you move off your confidence is on an upward curve, if you give a poor one you move off still thinking about what you missed in the cockpit drill & the first mistake in the drive is not far away, because your concentration is slipping & you could start on a downward spirral of despair.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby AdamW » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:18 pm

I can just see the new IAM dvd showing a Air Hostess style performance in your car every time you've a new passanger!

:lol:
AdamW

Postby Jon M » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:08 am

Thanks, I didn't think it would really be feasible to squeeze all that into a cockpit drill, as mentioned it would be like the safety demonstration on a plane! I just thought it would be useful information for any passengers who haven't been in the car before. Cheers

Jon
Jon M

Postby AdamW » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:18 am

Hi Jon,

I wasn't taking the mickey, it was meant in a light hearted manner.

I agree an introduction to some safety features (medi kit, triangle) of the vehicle would be a good ide if you were travelling for any length of time.
But for short journeys it'd probably take longer than the journey.

:D
AdamW

Postby Jon M » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:25 pm

Adam - no offence taken, I took it as being lighthearted!

Regarding the safety equipment - the thought just popped into my head that, if there was an accident and I got knocked out or something, how would my passenger know that there was a first aid kit, fire extinguisher etc in the front boot, and that they need to pull the catch down by my feet to open it? Perhaps I'm getting a bit paranoid..
Jon M

Postby vonhosen » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:26 pm

There's no harm in telling them, I just wouldn't include that as part of an official cockpit drill.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby AdamW » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:39 am

Jon M wrote:Adam - no offence taken, I took it as being lighthearted!

Regarding the safety equipment - the thought just popped into my head that, if there was an accident and I got knocked out or something, how would my passenger know that there was a first aid kit, fire extinguisher etc in the front boot, and that they need to pull the catch down by my feet to open it? Perhaps I'm getting a bit paranoid..

I'd stay at home then! :lol:
AdamW

Postby Jon M » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:57 am

I'd stay at home then!

But if somebody comes to visit me... how will they know where the emergency exits and fire-fighting equipment are? :mrgreen:
Jon M

Postby AdamW » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:09 am

They walked, why would they need a first aid box or emergency exit?

:lol:
AdamW

Return to Advanced Driving Forum