How's my driving? ;-)

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby 04smallmj » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:39 am

Hello everyone, I'm off to work in a few mins, so I'll make this fairly quick.

I'm a new poster, after lurking for a year or so. I'm 22 and live in North Devon (but hopefully not for too long). I've been wanting to do advanced driving for a while and I'm getting to the point where I can afford it (although I don't think that it's expensive for what it is) and where I have time for it. I have an observed drive/assessment (Momentum) booked for towards the end of this month, but I wondered what people think of my driving before then... I think I have probably gained a couple of bad habits, but I've gained a couple of advanced driving habits, so I'm not sure where I am at the moment. I feel like I drive quite slowly at the moment, but it could just be because I don't guess what is around corners on country lanes and I stick to speed limits, although I feel that I drive very slowly on single track lanes. So anyway, I have some videos for you to watch (or not watch ;-))

Driving from Woolacombe (sunny) (18 mins) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvX-blO ... e=youtu.be

Driving to Woolacombe (rain and fog) (18 mins) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYVExLv ... e=youtu.be

Driving one of the work trucks (6 mins) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtI6gSWFa3s

Single track driving (19 mins) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NjCbU5zT8g

Forgot to mention that I volunteer and work for the National Trust, so as well as driving a 2003 Yaris, I drive a Land Rover Defender and Toyota Hilux fairly reguarly.

Thanks ;-)
04smallmj

Postby skodatezzer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:50 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Just had time so far to look at your first (18 min) video. Can't really build up a complete picture from a fixed-position camera, but based on what I saw, I'd have been happy to be sitting beside you on that drive. You seemed to be smooth, reasonably progressive, restrained, and above all, safe. As you've already got yourself sorted out with a Momentum assessment, I probably don't need to add this next bit, but I will anyway. Perhaps after you re-locate, find your nearest IAM or ROADAR group and train with them to take an IAM or Rospa advanced test. Either will provide you with a sound basis upon which to build your advanced driving skills. Even if you never progress beyond that stage you will have the confidence of knowing that you have a good skill set, placing you well above the average road-user, but there are routes to take yourself to higher levels of expertise if you so wish. The other thing to do, of course, is to keep an eye on the "members only, driver network" part of this forum, and get yourself along to an ADUK driving day. They are immensely enjoyable, you'll meet a load of great folks who are united by their passion to learn and to improve as drivers, and you don't need to be "super advanced" already in order to benefit from the event. How long would it take you to get from North Devon to the Brecon Beacons, for example?

I'll try and make time to watch your other videos over the next day or so. Very best wishes, and I hope you will enjoy your pathway to Advanced Driving.
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby jcochrane » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Welcome. I have not yet watched the videos but would endorse the comments about ADUK driving days. As mentioned there is one coming up soon based on South Wales. North Devon might not be too far for you to make it. Some of us will be breaking our journeys for a stop over at the Traveodge at Aust on Friday night. Not too expensive and will only be about an hours drive to the start point on Saturday. Try and make it you will enjoy the day and also learn a thing or two.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby 04smallmj » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks guys. I didn't really know much about the ADUK days, so the extra info on those is much appreciated, and thanks for the comments on my driving skodatezzer.

I'm working weekends at the moment, but I'll be moving back to my home address in Worcestershire in mid September, so I'll be in a more convenient location and should have more days off, getting to places like the Brecon Beacons should be much easier. I just have another quick relevant question though, how easy is it to move from one IAM/ROADAR group to another? Obviously I know that I shouldn't really do it, but I can't guarantee that I'll be in the same area for a long period of time.
04smallmj

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 pm

04smallmj wrote: I just have another quick relevant question though, how easy is it to move from one IAM/ROADAR group to another? Obviously I know that I shouldn't really do it, but I can't guarantee that I'll be in the same area for a long period of time.

Not really sure, and I suppose I should be, what with me being a group chair and all. I'd try and time things so that you could at least work through the "skill for life" package (assuming you go for IAM) with one group - received wisdom suggests it takes roughly 6 months on average. You really need to talk directly to local groups once you know where you're going to be. Also, be prepared to look around a bit to find a group whose ethos and approach match your requirements. For example, at E. Surrey we seem to be able to take what we do seriously without taking ourselves very seriously, but I have encountered members of other groups who give the impression of being much more grown up :wink: Of course, a lot will depend on yourself. Like any learning process, the more work and practice you're prepared to put in, the better will be the outcome. Wish you well with it anyway, I'll try to get around to your other videos soon, and will hope to meet you on a driving day in due course.
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby watts93 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:34 am

04smallmj wrote:how easy is it to move from one IAM/ROADAR group to another?

In my experience of moving from the Southampton to Leeds IAM group, its fairly straightforward. Although you do have to consider that different groups do their observer allocations differently. The Southampton group did observed drives from a set location every first Sunday of the month. Whilst in Leeds you were allocated an observer and arranged to meet when convenient. So you might have to wait for a new observer.

Do also check the mentoring thread as there might be someone more local to you willing to go for a drive. Let us know how you find the Momentum drive. When I did Momentum I was the first person the examiner had taken out for a Momentum drive, I don't think its particularly well advertised!
watts93

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Well, I may not hold a driving licence, but I have watched your videos.

You can make the car move, stop, turn, all without crashing or causing a huge fire or being arrested.

By those standards, you're better than perhaps 50% of the driving population.

Congratulations! ;) :mrgreen: :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby 04smallmj » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks for the info people, very useful ;-). My Momentum drive is on the 25th of this month, so I'll let you know what it was like shortly after then.
04smallmj

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Momentum drive" ?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Momentum drive" ?

Glad you asked. I've not heard of that either. :?
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby trashbat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:06 pm

The young driver's intro to IAM, I think. Like a taster run but with a proper assessment.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby MrToad » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:11 pm

Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby 04smallmj » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:22 am

I think it was introduced in the past few years, not many people have heard of it. I only know of it because I was interested in the IAM anyway and wanted to get a feel of it before commiting to the Skill For Life package. Obviously it isn't a good way for young drivers to find out about it, but I guess the IAM don't want to spend too much on advertising.
04smallmj

Postby trashbat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:02 am

A bit late now, but when I expressed interest in my local group, they offered me a free taster session. This was maybe a bit less than an hour of an observer (not an examiner) watching me drive and then a quick write-up of what I might be able to improve.

Maybe they got rid of it and now charge £40, I don't know.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby 04smallmj » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:07 pm

trashbat wrote:A bit late now, but when I expressed interest in my local group, they offered me a free taster session. This was maybe a bit less than an hour of an observer (not an examiner) watching me drive and then a quick write-up of what I might be able to improve.

Maybe they got rid of it and now charge £40, I don't know.

That's probably the case, they probably wanted to formalise it, rather than letting some groups give them out as freebies ;-). But, one reason that I chose Momentum rather than the Drivecheck is that they refund the cost of Momentum if you sign up for the Skill For Life package, so it costs me the same whether or not I do momentum, as long as I sign up for it within 12 months.
04smallmj

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum