ROSPA National Diploma In Advanced Driving Instuction

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby neckender » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 pm

hi, I am interested in doing the above course, what are peoples thoughts and experiences of th is course?
"Anyone who tries to make a distinction between education and entertainment doesn't know the first thing about either"

DSA LGV Instructor, SaFED Instructor, IAM Advanced Car & Commercial, PTLLS, RoSPA Dip.
neckender

Postby hir » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi, It may assist if you explain to us why you wish to do the course. Answers could then be tailored to your specific requirement.

Regards
hir

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Its only good to you if you have an ADI certificate if not you wont be able to do anything with it.
Stephen

Postby neckender » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:03 am

I am working towards my ADI at the moment.

I want more knowledge so I can provide a better service to my candidates.
"Anyone who tries to make a distinction between education and entertainment doesn't know the first thing about either"

DSA LGV Instructor, SaFED Instructor, IAM Advanced Car & Commercial, PTLLS, RoSPA Dip.
neckender

Postby GS » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Stephen wrote:Its only good to you if you have an ADI certificate if not you wont be able to do anything with it.

I think this reply is a bit narrow minded.

You only have to be an ADI if you are giving training in cars for money.

The knowledge and skills learned while taking the course can be used for anything you want to use if for except the above until you pass your ADI exams. Some non-ADIs take the diploma to help them as observers in cars, or to help them instruct in other classes of vehicles, or to help them run theory courses.

When I did it I'm sure you had to already hold a RoSPA Gold but I think it is now open to Silvers as well.
GS
GS

Postby JamesAllport » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:16 pm

I did my diploma as a non-ADI because I wanted to know that the guidance I was offering as a RoADAR tutor was of a high standard. Granted, only a few geeks like me will be willing/able to make that kind of investment in a hobby but I enjoyed it.

I think GS is right that the entry standard for one's driving is now slightly more flexible. As I understand it, there is a checkpoint early in the course when the candidate has to demonstrate the required standard of driving, no matter their previous background.

I did mine a long time ago now (?1998) but we had an assessment drive on the afternoon of day one on which we were expected to be at gold standard. In fact, the standard was gold in a strange car as we were driving cars supplied by RoSPA not our own.

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby Ralge » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:34 pm

As an ADI with a fleet badge and Gold already in the bag, I found that holding the Diploma was more of a door-opener than anything else. It has a standing within the training industry. I also found out, I have to admit, that prior to doing the course I hadn't really "got" AD and much of it was alien to me rather than part of me.
My unpaid observers were good whilst going for the Gold test but the Diploma tutors were superb.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby sussex2 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:01 pm

I did this course many moons ago and it was one of the fundamental things that set me on the course of driving.
My course was done in the West Midlands and I enjoyed every minute of it.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby neckender » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi all,

I attended the RoSPA Dip course and it was brilliant, the tutors were excellent and displayed a lot of knowledge and opened my eyes into the way that driver training is going (HERMES Report).
I fully endorse and recommend this course for anyone who looking to develop the skills and knowledge further.

neckender

Postby Zebedee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 am

Hi neckender, I see you've also done PTLLS. What was that like? How useful, expensive, etc was it?
Zebedee

Postby Ralge » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 pm

Working sometimes in a teaching-room context I needed a PTLLS qualification and my course was at level 3. No sooner had I got this, my paymasters moved to stipulate level 4. D'oh.
I haven't yet moved up the extra notch or worked out whether I should.
Developing and delivering lesson (plans) that involve learners with different learning preferences (Visual, Aural, Read-Write, Kinaesthetic ...) was fun and useful, I found.
I don't think I paid more than £250 for my course.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby daz6215 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:26 pm

PTLLS has now changed to -Award in Education and Training (Previously PTLLS)

I wish they would stop bloody changing qualification names :evil: Lots of organisations require this as an absolute minimum if employed in a training capacity. I did it a number of years ago now and it cost me about £90 in the days when colleges received funding; it's somewhat more now though.
daz6215

Postby GS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Quite a few people who present Speed Awareness Courses have to do these PTLLS courses. I'm not sure why because the presenters do not have a say in the contents of the course or really how it is presented. Most companies who offer these courses have clear instructions about how they want them presented.

In my experience of doing a PTLLS course, lots of it was about how to construct a lesson or course so that learning takes place. A presenter of a SAC has little or no say in this.
GS
GS

Postby daz6215 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:16 pm

That's ACPO and RSS for you! There is still things that are useful though like being aware of equality and diversity issues when dealing with groups or individuals.
daz6215

Postby GS » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:27 am

Things which could probably be dealt with in a morning and at a fraction of the cost.
GS
GS

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum