Cruise for MPG

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Horse wrote:Amusingly, the 'predicted range' was going up for much of the journey!

Does that mean if you're infinitely careful in your eco-driving, you could achieve infinite range? :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:58 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:Some French crap. :-)

Yes, very similar to the French crap that Silk was blundering about in a few years ago, and about which he was fairly complimentary at the time! :P

I had the good sense to get rid of it a couple of years (and 100,000 miles) after buying it new in 2002. The first thing I had to do with it was fill the right-hand door mirror with packaging material to stop the squeaking, then the indicator developed a fault where it would indicate in the opposite direction when it cancelled. I used the car to take my IAM test. It was touch and go whether or not I was going to get there as it was stuck in the garage all the previous day trying to clear an ECU fault that was never properly fixed. On the day of the test, the examiner had to keep his elbow pressed up against the door trim to stop the rattling - at least while he was worrying about whether or not the door was about to fly open or the wheels fall off, he didn't notice all the mistakes I was making. ;-)

TripleS wrote:Mine is a Pug 406 HDi, now 14 years old, with 90 bhp, and he had the 110 bhp version of the same model. I remember him saying "...they do go well." I expect the old bu99er has forgotten that. He spend too much time trying to wind up the good folks 'ere. :lol:

It was ok for the first month or so. Apart from the door mirror.
Silk

Postby 7db » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:20 pm

If I set cruise control on the new car on a long motorway journey I can get upto 18 mpg.
Downhill.
7db

Postby triquet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:44 am

Round here in Oxfordshire, what with the A34, the M4 and the M40, I can engage cruise for about 30 seconds before having to either brake or accelerate. This has nothing to do with anticipation, distance or whatever. It's just a fact of everyday traffic. To try the Newbury bypass in cruise except possibly in the wee small hours: that way lies madness.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:53 am

7db wrote:If I set cruise control on the new car on a long motorway journey I can get upto 18 mpg.
Downhill.

'Long journey, downhill, motorway'?

You must live on Shap ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum