Suitable speed on NSL single track roads?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:24 am

Using the horn; what do you expect it to achieve? In the mostly excellent (but old) Kent police Riding Plans video (it's on Youtube) the instructor suggests listening for an answering toot. Really? How many Joe Public would think of that? Even then, you're both still heading towards each other!

Return to the'worst case' I suggested: add 'loud exhaust' and 'even louder stereo' ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby triquet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:29 am

I think these little roads remain at NSL simply because there are too many of them to do the necessary legals and to put up and maintain signage. Common sense has to prevail.

On these very narrow windy roads, I'm not really sure whether limit point really works :shock: .

Even road positioning has its limitations. Road positioning can just lead to nose to nose confrontations and ABS struggling to work when the tyres are deep in the cow muck. :mrgreen:

You just have to bear in mind that something might suddenly loom: it won't necessarily be an AD and it might have four legs. In which case it certainly won't sound it's horn ....

From a practical point of view it's always worth clocking passing places and keeping in mind the last one and (if you know the road) the next one. This does enable a bit of give and take and courtesy with other local drivers.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby jont » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:33 am

triquet wrote:I think these little roads remain at NSL simply because there are too many of them to do the necessary legals and to put up and maintain signage. Common sense has to prevail.

What's the problem with them remaining at NSL? It's supposed to be a limit, not a target :roll: This is why I disklike the obsessions with numbers on sticks as any sort of proxy for safety. It encourages the thinking "well they'd have lowered the limit if it wasn't safe" :roll: All extra-urban roads should be NSL (where N means "No" :twisted: )
jont

Postby triquet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 am

And driving these sort of roads in Normandie in a RHD drive car is an Interesting Experience, because on a RH bend you simply cannot take up any sort of position to improve vision. You tuck right in wheels right at the edge of the tarmac(?) and hope. It is useful if you have a co-pilot, but the reaction time doubles or trebles.

I've been doing it upwards of 20 years and we've only had two wing mirrors go ....
Jim
triquet

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:39 pm

jont wrote:All extra-urban roads should be NSL (where N means "No" :twisted: )

I very strongly agree! :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:42 pm

triquet wrote:On these very narrow windy roads, I'm not really sure whether limit point really works :shock:

Why not? You were always supposed to underline it with speed appropriate for the 'be able stop in the distance you can see to be clear' rule - or in this case, twice the distance.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby triquet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:20 pm

trashbat wrote:
triquet wrote:On these very narrow windy roads, I'm not really sure whether limit point really works :shock:

Why not? You were always supposed to underline it with speed appropriate for the 'be able stop in the distance you can see to be clear' rule - or in this case, twice the distance.

Yes, ideally. But on sunken lanes (Devon, Corwall, Normandie) the limit point can be only a few feet away ...
Jim
triquet

Postby 7db » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:26 pm

If you define the limit point to be the nearest place a surprise can come from then bear in mind lateral intrusions.
7db

Postby martine » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:31 pm

triquet wrote:Yes, ideally. But on sunken lanes (Devon, Corwall, Normandie) the limit point can be only a few feet away ...

Yes indeed so you go slowly...don't you?

I think the limit point works as long as you're disciplined (easier said than done sometimes).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Ralge » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:19 pm

04smallmj wrote:Interesting thoughts ;-).

Triquet - Yes it's interesting that the speed limits haven't been changed on them for decades, I would have thought that they would be reduced by now, considering the changes to other speed limits.

They haven't changed since, broadly, these windy lanes/roads are self-regulating, speed-wise and the Council haven't yet had cause to review the limit.

Their expenditure on signage, road paint, surfacing and (sometimes) speed limits is reactive to events, incidents, crashes. The primary routes with heavier traffic flows through busy risk-laden junctions (poor sight lines etc) see far more Council interventions since they have a far higher crash rate.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby martine » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Ralge wrote:The primary routes with heavier traffic flows through busy risk-laden junctions (poor sight lines etc) see far more Council interventions since they have a far higher crash rate.

More crashes per year but probably less crashes compared to traffic count. There seems to be a disconnect between setting a speed limit and the risk for an individual driver. It does seem strange, if speed limits are seen as a way of managing risk, to have lower speed limits on good quality A roads than the adjacent unclassified or C roads.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Ralge » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:51 am

martine wrote:
Ralge wrote:The primary routes with heavier traffic flows through busy risk-laden junctions (poor sight lines etc) see far more Council interventions since they have a far higher crash rate.

More crashes per year but probably less crashes compared to traffic count. There seems to be a disconnect between setting a speed limit and the risk for an individual driver. It does seem strange, if speed limits are seen as a way of managing risk, to have lower speed limits on good quality A roads than the adjacent unclassified or C roads.

Interventions with signage etc (including limit changes but limits are only one part of the picture) can be thought of as traffic calming. With the minor roads being "self-regulating" there's an in-built traffic calming.
The primary routes demand more attention and interventions simply because of the number of motorists on them x the risk of a crash (expressed not as a theoretical figure but by the frequency and number of actual incidents) x the need to analyse and address this risk (the human and financial cost of crashes).
With up to 60% of fatalities happening on rural roads (increasing in % whilst urban fatalities are decreasing in %) the proposition of "N" in NSL meaning "No", whilst not causing an individual driver a problem of keeping the vehicle shiny side up, creates an issue as soon as a second road user is asked to deal with the first's approach speed. But, that said, limits should not be seen (myopically by either side of argument) as the beginning and the end or as the Councils' only form of traffic-calming intervention.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby triquet » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:48 am

I did a couple of journeys this weekend using little narrow NSL country roads. I had onboard Mrs T and a friend and a quantity of picnic stuff. It became apparent that it wasn't really visibility that was the primary limiting factor, it was the state of the road surface. There were a number of straight stretches on which I could have made so-called "progress" but in practice to drive at speed on the third-world minor roads of Oxfordshire would a) have shaken the champagne up and caused an Opening Incident and b) caused passengers to have bumps on head and/or Dental Disasters.

This AD lark can be limited by extraneous factors that we don't always think about :mrgreen:
Jim
triquet

Postby superplum » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 am

triquet wrote:I did a couple of journeys this weekend using little narrow NSL country roads. I had onboard Mrs T and a friend and a quantity of picnic stuff. It became apparent that it wasn't really visibility that was the primary limiting factor, it was the state of the road surface. There were a number of straight stretches on which I could have made so-called "progress" but in practice to drive at speed on the third-world minor roads of Oxfordshire would a) have shaken the champagne up and caused an Opening Incident and b) caused passengers to have bumps on head and/or Dental Disasters.

This AD lark can be limited by extraneous factors that we don't always think about :mrgreen:

Like weekend picnickers driving slowly on country roads?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
superplum

Postby triquet » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:09 am

superplum wrote:
triquet wrote:I did a couple of journeys this weekend using little narrow NSL country roads. I had onboard Mrs T and a friend and a quantity of picnic stuff. It became apparent that it wasn't really visibility that was the primary limiting factor, it was the state of the road surface. There were a number of straight stretches on which I could have made so-called "progress" but in practice to drive at speed on the third-world minor roads of Oxfordshire would a) have shaken the champagne up and caused an Opening Incident and b) caused passengers to have bumps on head and/or Dental Disasters.

Like weekend picnickers driving slowly on country roads?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuckle :mrgreen:
Jim
triquet

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum