Advice on dangerous over taking situation

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby kitkatbrown » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Gosh, thank you so much for all your wise words and insights. You know the way you all speak makes me realise that I need to take a course. When I have spoken to friends who have the same problem on this road (and partner) no one has given me such sensible responses. Michael769, and 7db, thinking about it a couple of places wher it happenrd you probably can just fit 3 a breast when my initial reaction would have been to assume not.

And Michael you are spot on there are distinct spots that tempt the overtakers so I need to make more mental note.

Zadocbrown and triquet, I also note your advice about not over analysing or over reacting, it could be easy to do if I was not aware I might.

Michael, With hindesight the worst time I could have pulled onto grass a bit. The headlight conversation is interesting, I have flashed on occasion but I hadn't even thought till now? Was I genuinely warning or was I being angry if so then I guess hot headed behavior won't save my life.

The fist and arm made me smile but all I can say was there were a lot of swearing but just to myself. I need to stop moaning that I don't have enough time to do things I should and just get on and sign up for a course. i was worried you may make me feel stupid ( which I do) but on the contrary your answers make me realise why I was wasting my time asking mates that probably have as little clue as me.

Thxs!!!
kitkatbrown

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:43 pm

KitKat - welcome. Don't worry too much about "courses" in this instance. Your options are so limited that there's not much it will teach you. In emergencies, the first thing to do is almost always to brake hard. It's basic physics, really - you need to maximise the space between you and the oncomer so as to give them time to get back to their side of the road. There are only two dimensions you can do that in - fore and aft, or sideways. Since you're travelling towards them as well, at up to 60 mph, the first thing is to remove that factor. After that you can look for other options, like moving to the side. The faster you can hit the brakes, the more space you make.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:21 pm

martine wrote:"You tinker"

Isn't that racist? "Tinker" is another word for a traveller or gypsy. :wink:
Silk

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:30 am

Silk wrote:

Not when used to refer to mischievous behaviour, as it was by martine. :wink: Methinks you may be a little tinker yourself here. :lol:

PS Tinker, to describe a Gypsy, would be derogatory.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Ancient » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:43 am

jcochrane wrote:
Silk wrote:

Not when used to refer to mischievous behaviour, as it was by martine. :wink: Methinks you may be a little tinker yourself here. :lol:

Unless of course, the Gypsy was a Tinker by trade.
Ancient

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Ancient wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
Silk wrote:Isn't that racist? "Tinker" is another word for a traveller or gypsy. :wink:

Unless of course, the Gypsy was a Tinker by trade.

Read these, wondered how you could use the name for a piano player as a derogatory term against Gypsies.

Realised I was misreading them! :roll:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:51 pm

jcochrane wrote:PS Tinker, to describe a Gypsy, would be derogatory.

Says who?

I suspect, as with most things that are supposed to cause offence, it would only be considered derogatory if there was a chance of a pay-out at the end of it. :P
Silk

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Silk wrote:
jcochrane wrote:PS Tinker, to describe a Gypsy, would be derogatory.

Says who?

I suspect, as with most things that are supposed to cause offence, it would only be considered derogatory if there was a chance of a pay-out at the end of it. :P

"Says who?".......
Oxford Englsh Dictionary. :)
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Can we try and stay on-topic ... :lol:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Custom24 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:32 pm

michael769 wrote:If you have time to scrub a lot of speed off, consider mounting the verge- a puncture or broken suspension may be less severe consequences than those of hitting an oncomer head on at speed, but only do so if you can be sure there is no ditch rock or other obstacle that could cause your vehicle to roll over, and don't do it it speed as even a kerb or the lip at the edge of the road can cause a fast moving car to roll.

I think it's on one of the Mark Kendrick DVDs that someone mentions to be aware of what type of kerb is present. A strike kerb (vertical side) is designed to be more difficult to mount and may deflect you back into the road - this is designed to protect pedestrians. A rollup or angled kerb should be present if there is no footpath and is designed for the purpose of avoiding a head on collision.

Remembering to note this detail I do find difficult, but I guess on a frequently travelled road, it might be useful.
Custom24

Postby Custom24 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:KitKat - welcome. Don't worry too much about "courses" in this instance. Your options are so limited that there's not much it will teach you

I respectfully suggest that the opportunity to practice steer and avoid as well as heavy braking exercises may help some people with the confidence to make use of the car's capabilities in an emergency. I was able to avoid a head on by steering into a farm entrance and back out again at 60 mph a few years ago. I was very lucky, but the exercises I've done since have made me realise how nimble the car can be when required.

I've also sat with some drivers who are extremely reluctant to use harsh braking and have never engaged ABS.
Custom24

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Custom24 wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:KitKat - welcome. Don't worry too much about "courses" in this instance. Your options are so limited that there's not much it will teach you

I respectfully suggest that the opportunity to practice steer and avoid as well as heavy braking exercises may help some people with the confidence to make use of the car's capabilities in an emergency. I was able to avoid a head on by steering into a farm entrance and back out again at 60 mph a few years ago. I was very lucky, but the exercises I've done since have made me realise how nimble the car can be when required.

I've also sat with some drivers who are extremely reluctant to use harsh braking and have never engaged ABS.

Yup. Agreed, although these things rarely form part of traditional AD tuition. Personally I don't try and teach people to steer into farm gates at speed - the consequences if it went wrong might cost more than RoSPA's insurance could stand :) As regards exercises, I've done some in a skid car, but not sure if I'd remember all of it in extremis.

I know some tutors do teach heavy braking and emergency stops - I never have, although I can see a potential benefit. I think most people, when faced with a real emergency, can probably brake hard enough to bend a pedal, even if they wouldn't do it in an artificially-induced situation.

PS where have you been all this time? :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby fungus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 pm

I make sure that pupils activate the ABS when teaching emergency stops, because, as Custom24 said," some drivers are reluctant to use harsh braking and have never engaged the ABS", the effect of which could alarm a driver who has never experienced it, causing them to release the brake, which is the last thing a driver should do when they need to scrub off speed rapidly.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:28 pm

fungus wrote:I make sure that pupils activate the ABS when teaching emergency stops, because, as Custom24 said," some drivers are reluctant to use harsh braking and have never engaged the ABS", the effect of which could alarm a driver who has never experienced it, causing them to release the brake, which is the last thing a driver should do when they need to scrub off speed rapidly.

Yep yep, familiar with the argument. Not something I've ever done in Advanced tuition though. Have you?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby fungus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
fungus wrote:I make sure that pupils activate the ABS when teaching emergency stops, because, as Custom24 said," some drivers are reluctant to use harsh braking and have never engaged the ABS", the effect of which could alarm a driver who has never experienced it, causing them to release the brake, which is the last thing a driver should do when they need to scrub off speed rapidly.

Yep yep, familiar with the argument. Not something I've ever done in Advanced tuition though. Have you?

I must admit, IIRC, no.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum