Advice on dangerous over taking situation

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby MGF » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 pm

The same applies to the contact position. If you need to close the gap to overtake perhaps the overtake should be avoided.
MGF

Postby sussex2 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:44 am

Kimosabe wrote:
Just because I cannot see it, does not mean it might not suddenly appear

Would you expand on that a bit please.

I'm assuming that there may be an imminent hazard, such as a fast moving vehicle, just out of sight, coming towards me and that they aren't expecting to find me in their lane. This is where 'plan b' generation comes into play, if not, aborting the idea before it goes any further altogether on a hunch. As many others have said, not overtaking is never a mistake, or equivalent.[/quote]

Thank you.
I do believe however that not overtaking, when it is plainly safe, can be a mistake.
The practice and use of this manoeuvre safely is key IMO to more educated driving.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby zadocbrown » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:17 pm

mefoster wrote:
The technique that was experienced is, of course, perfectly good when used properly, but... it's all very well watching experts at work and seeing how effortless they make it appear but there is a big danger when poorly copied techniques are applied by people in inappropriate situations.

To be fair, that applies equally to the triangle overtake. Execution is everything when it comes to overtaking.
zadocbrown

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum