Overtaking on a three-lane single carriageway

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jont » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Horse wrote:
fungus wrote: Enough teenagers don't look with the roads as they are at present.

Whether or not they look is one thing. But if anyone relies on a child looking and then making the correct decision then that might be a flawed mistake.

Well yes, then you get situations such as where we used to live in Yate where (at a local consulation about removing the speed humps along a road around the edge of a major housing estate) parents reported that their kids enjoyed using the humps as skateboard/bike ramps :roll: :lol:
jont

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:10 pm

jont wrote:
Horse wrote:
fungus wrote: Enough teenagers don't look with the roads as they are at present.

Whether or not they look is one thing. But if anyone relies on a child looking and then making the correct decision then that might be a flawed mistake.

Well yes, then you get situations such as where we used to live in Yate where (at a local consulation about removing the speed humps along a road around the edge of a major housing estate) parents reported that their kids enjoyed using the humps as skateboard/bike ramps :roll: :lol:

But you could still see the limit point in the distance, yes? ;) Whoops, wrong thread :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby triquet » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Horse wrote:
But you could still see the limit point in the distance, yes? ;) Whoops, wrong thread :)

There's probably some golden rule about speed humps, but I've lost the will to live ... :roll:
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quote markers
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:26 am

I would look to overtake, but time my move to avoid the possibility of a happening.
zadocbrown

Postby jont » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:49 am

martine wrote:It's probably been designed by a BRAKE supporter...they are against overtaking on rural roads and want legislation for "...a ban on overtaking free-moving traffic, except on multi-lane roads."

After spending some time last night stuck behind 5 cars following a tractor (with no return gaps and never /quite/ enough view to do the lot in one go, but more than enough for several cars to have gone), I think I'm of the opinion that drivers who /can't/ overtake on rural roads should be the ones we're trying to stop driving.
jont

Postby TripleS » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:26 am

jont wrote:
martine wrote:It's probably been designed by a BRAKE supporter...they are against overtaking on rural roads and want legislation for "...a ban on overtaking free-moving traffic, except on multi-lane roads."

After spending some time last night stuck behind 5 cars following a tractor (with no return gaps and never /quite/ enough view to do the lot in one go, but more than enough for several cars to have gone), I think I'm of the opinion that drivers who /can't/ overtake on rural roads should be the ones we're trying to stop driving.

This is a situation I encounter quite frequently, especially at this time of year when there are lots of agricultural vehicles on the roads. I wouldn't go far as to want people to stop driving, but I would like something done about the problem.

A couple of days ago I had a situation very similar to the one you describe: a slow moving tractor with a large trailer, then about five or six cars, then me. There was a good overtaking opportunity, but we were stuck with this situation for about a mile, because nobody would make a move.

After the tractor turned off into a farm entrance, the leading cars were quickly up to 60 mph, so they weren't slow drivers; it was simply that they had no ability or inclination to perform a perfectly easy overtake.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:50 am

Overtaking on a three lane road can be made easy and safe by allowing it for traffic in only one direction at a time. It can be made even safer by augmenting the line system which would signal the direction in which overtaking is allowed with a fixed barrier. I have seen this is Sweden. Personally I enjoy the challenge of judging overtaking opportunities, so this system made driving less interesting for me, and of course 50% of the time you had to wait for your next overtake, but I thought the system worked well to allow traffic to travel safely at different speeds.
waremark

Postby triquet » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Here's the system used a lot in France: offset lanes used extensively to allow overtaking on hills. Essential when there are a lot of agricultural vehicles about ....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@49.08792 ... !2e0?hl=en
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum