Crumble's one second rule

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jameslb101 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 am

jameslb101

Postby Custom24 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 am

Thanks for that. A good example of how it's less costly to learn from someone else's mistake.
Custom24

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:34 am

Typical human behaviour to look for confirmation of our intentions rather against, so as he suggests, look for reasons *not* to overtake rather than just the opportunities.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:46 am

I know that on these videos the view is often not quite as reality but I was not impressed by the overtake of the lorry either. There appears to be no view obtained of the road surface infront of the lorry (could be a pothole, cyclist etc which might cause the lorry to deviate from its position) only a view of oncoming traffic and based on this information only makes the descision and commits to the overtake. Just before he starts to move out there is a crossroads sign and at that point I would have thought the descision would be to wait. (What is a puzzle though is that on the video I can't see the signposted crossroads and another crossroads sign appears as he is completing the overtake. Maybe he knew the road and that after the first crossroads sign there would be loads of time to complete the overtake before arriving at the hazard.)
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 am

Horse wrote:Typical human behaviour to look for confirmation of our intentions rather against, so as he suggests, look for reasons *not* to overtake rather than just the opportunities.

Probabably one of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard was "the descision NOT to overtake is never wrong." Something I do my best to remind myself before every overtake. The linked advice to this is that when we overtake we drive on the WRONG side of the road. OK I know it's not the case for all roads like dual carriageways but true of typical ADUK driving day fun roads.
jcochrane

Postby Rick101 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Good vid and good point, ta.
Rick101

Postby waremark » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Did the rider get the point? It is not necessarily about waiting. It is that you need the right view of the whole width of the road for a suitable distance before committing to the overtake. He did not have it. There could have been something faster towards him than the white lorry. But all credit for posting an acknowledged bad mistake.
waremark

Postby trashbat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:58 pm

I agree with what our Mr Cochrane said.

However, I've done this myself. You cock up an overtake and chances are your next one will also be horrible. Part of it is you want away from any witnesses and part of it is you want to prove yourself.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby martine » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Crumble makes some excellent, funny videos - I've been keeping up with him for quite a while (didn't know you James were a fan as well). He doesn't do riding tips videos normally, more 'crumble's take on life' rants. I'd not seen this one however and yes, at least he makes a mistake and owns up to it.

I can only agree about not having the view though...he doesn't move off-side for the 2nd overtake before committing, either. :(

He need some coaching!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jcochrane » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:37 pm

martine wrote:Crumble makes some excellent, funny videos - I've been keeping up with him for quite a while (didn't know you James were a fan as well). He doesn't do riding tips videos normally, more 'crumble's take on life' rants. I'd not seen this one however and yes, at least he makes a mistake and owns up to it.

I can only agree about not having the view though...he doesn't move off-side for the 2nd overtake before committing, either. :(

He need some coaching!

Perhaps if he drives a car he could come along to an ADUK driving day. :wink:
jcochrane

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:24 pm

jcochrane - two things:

1. the camera is placed to the left of the rider's head, so its view is not as good as his.
2. I think the crossroads must just have had two signs. I couldn't see an intermediate one either.

Agree, he still takes too much for granted, like many bikers, though.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi Folks

I think his position prior to the first overtake was wrong had he moved over to the left more he would have had a far better view round the bend, instead he kept to close to the center line. When he zooms in just before the actual overtake you can just make out something white appearing, as someone has pointed out the camera was on his left so probably had a better view than he did. He was too focused on getting a good shot. He also cranked on the speed before getting a good view very luck the truck driver was awake.

Second overtake he started accelerating whilst still in the shadow of the truck before he had full clear view.
The bike against the truck he could easily have pulled out for a look having seen it was clear tweaked the throttle and been 20mph faster than the truck in just a few yards.

He rushed this still shaken from the first adventure.
Get the view pull out check the view give it beans.
exportmanuk

Return to Advanced Driving Forum