Three lane roads

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:46 am

A previous discussion.

Perhaps you were thinking of the situation where motorcyclists cross a solid white line to pass a queue of traffic; the argument for doing this is that since each vehicle in the queue is stopped, crossing the solid centre-line is permitted.

The counter-argument has at least two parts. First the legal: if any vehicle moves as it is being passed by the motorcyclist then an offence is being committed. Second the safety: the motorcyclist should have a clear point of return before starting to pass queuing vehicles and, in most cases, they are passing speculatively with no clear idea of where they will return should an on-coming vehicle come into view.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jlsmith » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Gareth wrote:A previous discussion

Also helpful - particularly the diagram 1040.2 which suggests to me that in order to be consistent with the regulations, the 'necessary' in the Highway Code must be interpreted as 'is it necessary to enter the hatchings in order to overtake?' rather than 'is it necessary to overtake?'. As it's the former, overtaking is permitted subject to all the safety caveats mentioned.

I'd still feel uncomfortable performing the manouevre in front of the BiB, as I'd fear an almost inevitable tug followed by having to argue the point at their leisure for half an hour by the roadside.
jlsmith

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:07 pm

The hatchings go on for some distance and also there are a few turnings to right and left. I would imagine that the purpose of the hatchings was to get cars to keep to the left except when overtaking, to discourage cars from using them except whilst overtaking. Just as it should be for mototrways but the "motorway attitude" rarely reflects this with cars remaining in the overtaking lanes. Without the hatchings it might be feared that the "motorway attitude" could happen on this road. It is then easy to see how problems and danger could arise where the junctions are.

Of course I am probably wrong, someone might have ballsed up a white paint order and they now had to justify the purcahase by using it to paint the hatchings. :roll:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby TripleS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 pm

Gareth wrote:A previous discussion.

Perhaps you were thinking of the situation where motorcyclists cross a solid white line to pass a queue of traffic; the argument for doing this is that since each vehicle in the queue is stopped, crossing the solid centre-line is permitted.

The counter-argument has at least two parts. First the legal: if any vehicle moves as it is being passed by the motorcyclist then an offence is being committed. Second the safety: the motorcyclist should have a clear point of return before starting to pass queuing vehicles and, in most cases, they are passing speculatively with no clear idea of where they will return should an on-coming vehicle come into view.

Indeed. From my own observations, the norm is for the bikers to continue down the 'wrong' side of the road, and expect oncomers like me to move over and leave part of my lane free for them to use. IMHO they are wrong to do that, but it seems to happen a lot.

Going on from that, I've sometimes wondered what would happen if I refused to move left in my lane to let them continue to use part of it, and I just stop before we meet, and wait for them to get back onto their own side of the road before i move off again. What might be the reaction of a Traffic Officer were he to witness this 'dispute'? I like to think the biker would receive the stern word, but I really don't know.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Big Err » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 pm

jcochrane wrote:The hatchings go on for some distance and also there are a few turnings to right and left. I would imagine that the purpose of the hatchings was to get cars to keep to the left except when overtaking, to discourage cars from using them except whilst overtaking.

That's definitely my take, but it doesn't half make life "interesting" for southbound cyclists. It could've been done differently by introducing 1m wide strips and replacing the double white/hatch/warning line with a centre line marking or warning line as appropriate, and opening up the centre into a right turn lane with ghost islands as required. At the least it would remove the squeeze on cyclists by providing a safe edge strip, and legally allow vehicles to cross the centre line marking to pass them when travelling at more than 10mph.

jcochrane wrote:Of course I am probably wrong, someone might have ballsed up a white paint order and they now had to justify the purcahase by using it to paint the hatchings. :roll:

And it's an awfull lot of paint - and a real pain to repaint it too ie the hatching will probably be hand laid!
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby fungus » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:57 pm

These are on the A31 Wimborne by pass.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.79163 ... kUssCw!2e0

I have the same take as Gareth on this, and do overtake on them where visibility allows, but only if the vehicle is travelling at a speed fairly well below the 60mph limit and the traffic is not heavy, which is very rare. There are two lay byes to be aware of, but no side entrances. It's common to see Police motorcylists not on blue lights filtering between the oposing traffic flows.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 pm

fungus wrote: It's common to see Police motorcylists not on blue lights filtering between the oposing traffic flows.

All Police training will be to take any advantage, where safe, even if not using exemptions.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby MGF » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:51 am

jlsmith wrote:
Gareth wrote:A previous discussion

Also helpful - particularly the diagram 1040.2 which suggests to me that in order to be consistent with the regulations, the 'necessary' in the Highway Code must be interpreted as 'is it necessary to enter the hatchings in order to overtake?' rather than 'is it necessary to overtake?'. As it's the former, overtaking is permitted subject to all the safety caveats mentioned.

I'd still feel uncomfortable performing the manouevre in front of the BiB, as I'd fear an almost inevitable tug followed by having to argue the point at their leisure for half an hour by the roadside.

Arguing your point on the basis of the regulations is not recommended as it is the Highway Code that is used as evidence of careless or negligent driving.

You are better of explaining how careful you have been not to come into conflict with other road users. That is the important fact.
MGF

Postby jlsmith » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:48 am

MGF wrote:Arguing your point on the basis of the regulations is not recommended as it is the Highway Code that is used as evidence of careless or negligent driving.

You are better of explaining how careful you have been not to come into conflict with other road users. That is the important fact.

Good point.
jlsmith

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum