Motorway Barge

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby triquet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:16 am

The family car is what I shall charitably call a large diesel automatic motorway barge. I have been doing observed runs with it, but I am aware that this is not exactly the best beast to be displaying brisk, sparkly and "progressive" drives around the back country NSL roads, and it also is not exactly the best vehicle for snappy overtakes (which usually involve a certain amount of blue smoke).

Any hints and tips?
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:01 pm

A tip for you: Buy an MX-5 ;)
TheInsanity1234

Postby triquet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:19 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:A tip for you: Buy an MX-5 ;)

Yeah sure. But can you get children, grandchildren, garden refuse, building materials, furniture, boxes of wine etc etc in, tow trailers etc, and still travel the length of the country in armchair comfort ? Horses for courses methinks. You will find this out in due course ...
Jim
triquet

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:36 pm

triquet wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:A tip for you: Buy an MX-5 ;)

Yeah sure. But can you get children, grandchildren, garden refuse, building materials, furniture, boxes of wine etc etc in, tow trailers etc, and still travel the length of the country in armchair comfort ? Horses for courses methinks. You will find this out in due course ...

As a second car, for the observed drives, that's all xD
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Buy a faster barge. I noticed today that Mercedes S500s are disturbingly cheap. Sorry about ruining your future with that.

Otherwise you are at a disadvantage and there's only so much getting around it, but spend a bit of time learning the characteristics and the way to wring the most out of it. The automatic bit is probably the biggest factor; I can be progressive enough in a 1.2 Fiat 500 in which I have to change down into third just to hold speed going up motorway hills, but I at least have full control over that.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby triquet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:19 pm

trashbat wrote:Buy a faster barge. I noticed today that Mercedes S500s are disturbingly cheap. Sorry about ruining your future with that.

Mmm a thought. But it does need to be an estate.
Jim
triquet

Postby Gareth » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:36 pm

triquet wrote:The family car is what I shall charitably call a large diesel automatic motorway barge [...] not exactly the best beast to be displaying brisk, sparkly and "progressive" drives around the back country NSL roads, and it also is not exactly the best vehicle for snappy overtakes (which usually involve a certain amount of blue smoke).

Perceptions of available performance vary enormously; what is the model and engine?

Some automatic boxes change too quickly to the highest possible gear; using the manual override might allow significantly more sprightly performance.

Snappy overtakes work best if the appropriate gear is chosen in advance, rather than being needed to be selected as part of the manoeuvre.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:45 am

Gareth wrote:
triquet wrote:The family car is what I shall charitably call a large diesel automatic motorway barge [...] not exactly the best beast to be displaying brisk, sparkly and "progressive" drives around the back country NSL roads, and it also is not exactly the best vehicle for snappy overtakes (which usually involve a certain amount of blue smoke).

Perceptions of available performance vary enormously; what is the model and engine?

Some automatic boxes change too quickly to the highest possible gear; using the manual override might allow significantly more sprightly performance.

Snappy overtakes work best if the appropriate gear is chosen in advance, rather than being needed to be selected as part of the manoeuvre.

Yes, I found that starting an overtake from 1200 rpm in 5th wasn't a good basis for a sprightly overtake. Well it didn't work very well with old CUBby anyhow. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave - a slow learner; but still learning a bit, here and there. 8)

PS. If anybody would like a nice MX-5, 2002 model with 34,000 miles on it, I know of one that will be for sale very soon.
TripleS

Postby skodatezzer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:58 am

Skoda Octavia vRS estate (petrol or diesel). Got to take mine on a handling course recently and am now viewing it in a new light.
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby triquet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:21 pm

skodatezzer wrote:Skoda Octavia vRS estate (petrol or diesel). Got to take mine on a handling course recently and am now viewing it in a new light.

Sounds intriguing!
Jim
triquet

Postby jameslb101 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:33 pm

triquet wrote:
trashbat wrote:Buy a faster barge. I noticed today that Mercedes S500s are disturbingly cheap. Sorry about ruining your future with that.

Mmm a thought. But it does need to be an estate.

E500 estate then? My dad bought his from another ADUKer, and it seems to tick all the boxes if you want something capacious, sofa-like and capable of turning most cars to specks in the mirror. Sequential override on the 'box is perfectly smooth and responsive. No more expensive to fuel than a diesel if you do an LPG conversion.
jameslb101

Postby triquet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Unfashionable as it may be, I'm sticking with diesel at the moment. We go over to France about once a month, and diesel there is now under a £quidUK a litre at the supermarkets, so I fill up with 700 miles worth each time we go ... :D
Jim
triquet

Postby skodatezzer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:05 pm

triquet wrote:Unfashionable as it may be, I'm sticking with diesel at the moment. We go over to France about once a month, and diesel there is now under a £quidUK a litre at the supermarkets, so I fill up with 700 miles worth each time we go ... :D

My Octy's a diesel (manual, 6 speed). Will do better than 50 mpg on the motorway with a light foot, but has a most satisfactory shove in the back for 50-70 mph overtaking. As StressedDave says, somewhat overtyred from his god-like perspective but it makes sense for mere mortals like me! :D
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby true blue » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:08 pm

If you need a diesel estate that shifts, an XF Sportbrake might be worth a look (budget permitting). I drove the 3.0l version a few months ago, and it was astonishing. Kicked my old 4.0l V8 XK8 into a cocked hat! (Though perhaps not where looks are concerned).
true blue

Postby waremark » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 pm

true blue wrote:If you need a diesel estate that shifts, an XF Sportbrake might be worth a look (budget permitting). I drove the 3.0l version a few months ago, and it was astonishing. Kicked my old 4.0l V8 XK8 into a cocked hat! (Though perhaps not where looks are concerned).

How dare you? It looks lovely!

James, has your dad converted the Merc to LPG?
waremark

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum