Bright headlights...too bright...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby revian » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:29 pm

superplum wrote:More info (MOT) here: http://www.ukmot.com/mot%20manual/index ... ion=lights

That's an interesting read...

Clearly there is other testing documentation (manufacturers) under this... Otherwise it looks like...'do they work; do they look roughly the same; do they point in the right direction?' Strength of the beam isn't an immediate concern then?
Wirral
revian

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 pm

Simple answer, like the rest of our physiology, our eyes are Neanderthal. They can't quickly adjust to rapid changes in light level.

You can test this, go for a walk in the countryside at night, away from any artificial light and even on a cloudy night after about 15 minutes or so you can see easily but if someone then shines a light in your eyes you'll take a similar time to be able to see clearly again.

Best for road safety would be all roads with lighting, in fact some years ago that was proposed for all Motorways but then "eco" appeared.

Lots of light on your car is best for you of course but not for those opposing and that is the problem. One which I don't think legislators or manufacturers are getting right.

I could witter on more about this as I've thought about it a lot but I don't want to bore.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby revian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:43 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Best for road safety would be all roads with lighting, in fact some years ago that was proposed for all Motorways but then "eco" appeared.

What an awful idea... There's villages round here with absolutely no street lighting and it's fine...and they have beautiful night skies. Light is addictive... The more you use the more you need it...

As per triquet »
.....A couple of years ago (before the troubles) I spent some months in Egypt on a contract job. Many Egyption drivers prefer driving at night without lights on at all as they claim it dazzles them ... they have other interesting driving habits that would not be regarded as AD but I won't go into them now ...

Design, adhering to standards and sensible use are the issues.

Neanderthal... Speak for yourself.., :wink:
Wirral
revian

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Best for road safety would be all roads with lighting, in fact some years ago that was proposed for all Motorways but then "eco" appeared.

And thankfully.

I find it hugely irritating when we're driving along a lit motorway, as the the lights are extremely annoying in their repetitive lighting up and dimming of the vehicle's interior.

Driving (or passengering in my case) along, and the car's like bright, dark, bright, dark, bright, dark, bright, dark (you get the gist).

It is annoying as I find it actually lulls me to sleep, whereas a dark motorway seems to force me to stay awake as my brain seems to associate darkness with heightened danger, unless I'm in bed.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 am

Even better to have no street lights at all. There's nothing wrong with wanting to save energy, even if it's only for financial reasons.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:27 am

More light is not always better than less light. :P
TripleS

Postby revian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:39 am

+1 to the above....

8) (and ironic sunglasses)
Wirral
revian

Postby TR4ffic » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:41 am

I much prefer an unlit road/DC/motorway to one with street lighting. Following the recent move or pilots to switch off street lighting, has anyone seen any reports or stats relating to changes in the number of accidents/incidents on a given stretch of road - lit vs. unlit?

You could say that street lighting is only required for pedestrians and, therefore, only where the road has a pavement - no pavement, no street lighting...
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby MGF » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:42 pm

That's a bizarre implication. No footpath - no pedestrians.

I prefer lit roads because they reduce distracting dazzle from oncoming traffic.
MGF

Postby revian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Lit roads don't need intense light from cars.... Well lit roads (daylight) don't need lights at all...generally at NTP
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:48 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

And thankfully.

I find it hugely irritating when we're driving along a lit motorway, as the the lights are extremely annoying in their repetitive lighting up and dimming of the vehicle's interior.

Driving (or passengering in my case) along, and the car's like bright, dark, bright, dark, bright, dark, bright, dark (you get the gist).

It is annoying as I find it actually lulls me to sleep, whereas a dark motorway seems to force me to stay awake as my brain seems to associate darkness with heightened danger, unless I'm in bed.

I'm not sure I feel completely safe in bed...
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:53 pm

TripleS wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

And thankfully.

I'm not sure I feel completely safe in bed...

Well, when you're in bed by yourself, it's usually okay, but if you have company, and you're slightly drunk, then it is indeed dangerous seas you're sailing.
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:53 pm

MGF wrote:That's a bizarre implication. No footpath - no pedestrians.

I prefer lit roads because they reduce distracting dazzle from oncoming traffic.

I think that would require a very high standard of street lighting (which we don't always have), and it would be very costly to install it and operate it, so we don't seem likely to get that.

In any case there is no certainty that drivers would then content themselves with running on sidelights only, which is what I prefer to do where the street lighting is really good.
TripleS

Postby triquet » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Mind you M4 westward bound, when you leave the Reading lit section into the stygian gloom after J12 ....
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:....when you're in bed by yourself, it's usually okay, but if you have company, and you're slightly drunk, then it is indeed dangerous seas you're sailing.

Ooh, you mean somebody might seek to take advantage of me? That could liven things up; which i must say is a not wholly unwelcome prospect. :lol:
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum