Review of my IAM Momentum drive

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby 04smallmj » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:33 pm

I mentioned that I would post an update on an assessment drive that I did a few weeks ago, So here it is :P.

Here are both parts of the assessment report:

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu21 ... esult1.png

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu21 ... esult2.png

My general review:

I mostly enjoyed it and it was useful to do, although there were some niggles. I was using my odd hand over hand/pull-push method in the car park at the start in an attempt to not sugarcoat my driving, although I use pull-push 99% of the time elsewhere and I think that he assumed that I use hand over hand everywhere and had a mini rant about laziness, which was a bit off-putting. Simply saying "always use pull-push" would have sufficed. I also think that using HoH in car parks is OK considering that this is a young drivers assessment and would be a minor issue compared to some bad habits that a lot of young drivers have.

Soon after we left the car park I mentioned that I was interested in the advanced test and he talked me through the system when going through junctions, and for corners when we went onto rural roads later on, which was a bit demanding on my part, but very useful as I wasn't really sure how to apply the system at junctions and roundabouts.

The only comments that I weren't expecting to recieve were that I rush gear changes. It seems very slow but I'm doing them slower now. The other comment is when I turned the wheel for slight corners and got told off for having my hands like in this picture - http://www.iam-exeter.org.uk/ . I thought a fixed grip was OK for corners that don't require much steering input?

He did also go over the allotted time which was very appreciated, especially since I was waiting for him in the wrong section of a car park :P.

So in summary, it was very useful for me, but for any other younger drivers wanting to have their driving assessed and aren't interested in advanced driving, to be honest I'd probably recommend going for a drive with an ADI, mainly because they are used to dealing with younger people and won't be too picky (I didn't realise that the assessment would be graded like an actual IAM test - or is it?). As I mentioned earlier, considering the bad habits that a lot of young drivers have, such as driving one handed like this guy who actually passed an American test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L66qlZD9Hr4 , using phones, speeding etc, commenting on relatively minor things feels over-critical and would just put young drivers off advanced drivng, or just driving well in general. It's possible that he only mentioned it because I mentioned doing the test, but who knows :P. If you are interested in advanced driving though, the Momentum or the other driving assessment is probably the way to go, especially since you get the price of Momentum discounted from the Skill For Life package if you sign up within 12 months.

My following comments are regarding organisation and the format of the assessment, so not so relevant to most ADUK readers, but I thought I'd include it if someone from the IAM is reading (very likely). I think that the Momentum course (?) would probably be better if done by observers since they may be less driving test examiner-ish. The momentum course isn't advertised well, I only found out about it because I already knew about the IAM, which isn't good for getting the attention of other young drivers. the format for the online assessment was OK, but the answer boxes only allowed non-numerical digits and no spaces so I ended up having to re-write my answers several times and ended up writing single word answers, which was very frustrating. And finally, the course itself has an identity crisis in my opinion. It is listed under 'assessment' which makes sense, but it is then referred to as a drive, an assessment, a test and then "not a test" (in the emails I received)... Why not simply call it an observed drive?

So that's my review :P. Sorry if it seems overly critical, but the bad parts of an experience are what everyone usually remembers the most, and I wanted to give honest feedback.
04smallmj

Postby martine » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Nice post Mark and glad overall you found Momentum useful.

I will point out your post to IAM HQ as feedback like that (both positive and negative) is like gold dust.

So hopefully that's given you a taster for more?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby trashbat » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:33 pm

I'd say that's probably some way above average for a candidate starting IAM, and possibly average amongst folk on here when they were at that point.

Some specific comments:

- whether gear changes are rushed is nothing to do with how quickly or not you do the physical piece. It's probably mostly a comment about how they sit in context and in planning. Suppose you come up to a roundabout and you're trying to brake and look and steer and change gear all at once. That's rushed. So is carrying too much speed into a bend and trying to slow enough then change gear beforehand and ah it's a bit late and we're going too fast... rushed. I'll add that you can also be seen to rush what should be a straight line, unhurried gear change by not being smooth and rev matching nicely.

- steering technique will always attract deeply tedious and fractious debate but take a step back and look at what you do. Is it consistent and predictable? Is it smooth and controlled? If someone was sat in the car as a passenger but only watching you steer, would they ever be surprised (or worse, alarmed) by how you reacted?

- the identity crisis comment rings true, and is what you get from an organisation that is inherently simultaneously run top down and bottom up

- I'll just say that if you go through the whole shebang, it'll be interesting to come back to this and see how you compare examiners & observers from that new perspective. I suspect your views might change a little - but of course it depends on the individuals.

Good luck!
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby true blue » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:47 pm

I don't know the typical skill level of drivers taking the Momentun drive, but I would suggest that as a one-off event with a view to further recruitment there will be an aim to encourage but not to flatter. (After all, if they make you sound like a driving god, why would you go back!)

The fact that your feeback generally relates to style rather than safety is certainly encouraging, and something that really you wouldn't be expected to just pick up as a post-DSA test driver. I'm sure that you'd learn useful things from a more complete course (be that IAM, RoSPA or just time with an ADI), and I certainly hope that you at least look into it.

As for steering, there are about eighteen dozen pages of dogma on this forum if you want to look for it. As has been said, smoothness and consistency while maintaining a good margin of safety for control are the key points. My own steering method is something of a mongrel between fixed grip and push-pull, but received no negative comment on a RoSPA test a few weeks ago (though what some observers in my local group had to say about it is another matter!)
true blue

Postby martine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 pm

I've flagged up your post to the IAM Marketing director and the Ops director and both have replied thanking me for the link and your feedback both positive and not so and saying they will act on your comments. I'm not sure what that means in practice but at least they are aware.

Where do you live? If there an IAM or ROSPA group nearby?

edited - just noticed Worcester - there is a local IAM group - go for it!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MrToad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Worcester is also a nice easy drive from Brecon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4667
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Rick101 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Can't see the links as I'm on work computer but will pick up on steering issue.

I've had push pull lovers chastise my for not using it when navigating a pothole! :roll:

I've any of them ever actually read 'The book' they wax lyrical about they would see that rotational steering is perfectly acceptable in the right circumstances. roadcraft shows hand up the the '12', whilst IAM's 'Better Driver' states '11'.
Rick101

Postby martine » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Rick101 wrote:I've had push pull lovers chastise my for not using it when navigating a pothole! :roll:

There are plenty of Observers who still maintain this (tends to be the more 'mature' ones in my experience) - hopefully it's the sort of thing the new IAM Standards Director: Mark Lewis will address. We'll see.
martine

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:04 pm

I actually use Astraists' technique of starting the pull from 9 o clock for a right turn, and 3 oclock for a left turn when I need to wind on more steering. This is a personal preference and I do not teach it to associates, as I know it is frowned upon. I am also at odds with other observers in my group over fixed grip, which is frowned upon by most in the group, as is brake gear overlap which is heresy.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jcochrane » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:32 pm

martine wrote:
Rick101 wrote:I've had push pull lovers chastise my for not using it when navigating a pothole! :roll:

There are plenty of Observers who still maintain this (tends to be the more 'mature' ones in my experience) - hopefully it's the sort of thing the new IAM Standards Director: Mark Lewis will address. We'll see.

Now just a minute... what's this about us mature Observers.:evil: :wink: :lol:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby 04smallmj » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Martine - thanks for sending the link to IAM HQ, hopefully they can encourage more younger drivers to do it.

I'll probably start the Skill for Life package at some point, not sure when though. I'm trying to get into a nature conservation sort of career and the best way is to volunteer for different organisations, so I'm moving around a bit at the moment. My home address is near Worcester, but I'm currently volunteering (and getting paid at weekends) with the National Trust in North Devon. I'll be going home soon and then moving to Exeter to volunteer again. Not entirely sure If I'll bother taking the car with me though, I'd like to get by with my bicycle if I can :P.

On the topic of steering, I don't see any problem with fixed input for small turns, since Roadcraft recommends it and it seems silly to shuffle my hands a little bit for every little turn. And on a different note, I seem to be the only one who finds pull-push easier to use with smaller steering wheels and power steering... I drive a Yaris most of the time, a Toyota Hilux and Land Rover Defender sometimes, and find pull-push the most difficult to use in the Defender, which has a much larger wheel (it does have power steering though, after just googling it :P).
04smallmj

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:34 pm

04smallmj wrote: and find pull-push the most difficult to use in the Defender, which has a much larger wheel (it does have power steering though, after just googling it :P).

Interesting, considering that pull push as "the way" comes from the time of large steering wheels.

Of course, it might be that you just need to be a bit more flexible and adapt to whatever you're driving, only considering most road cars here, btw. True pull push isn't "shuffle" and if you can get out of that mindset you'll be able to use it whatever the size of steering wheel and no matter how little input you require.

I'm not suggesting PP is the only way but that you should try to be able to competently use it as well as other steering techniques available, whatever you drive.

Then you will be able to find what suits you and, if you should want, demonstrate the "classic way" to any who deems it sacrosanct. :)
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:53 am

true blue wrote:
The fact that your feeback generally relates to style rather than safety is certainly encouraging,

No it's not. It suggests strongly that the examiner was looking at the wrong things.
zadocbrown

Postby sussex2 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:07 pm

fungus wrote:I actually use Astraists' technique of starting the pull from 9 o clock for a right turn, and 3 oclock for a left turn when I need to wind on more steering. This is a personal preference and I do not teach it to associates, as I know it is frowned upon. I am also at odds with other observers in my group over fixed grip, which is frowned upon by most in the group, as is brake gear overlap which is heresy.

I don't think that brake/gear overlap is heresy and there are times when it is both necessary and in no way affects stability.
The method of steering you describe likewise.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby true blue » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:17 am

zadocbrown wrote:
true blue wrote:
The fact that your feeback generally relates to style rather than safety is certainly encouraging,

No it's not. It suggests strongly that the examiner was looking at the wrong things.

Care to expand, rather than disparage?

I understand that in Roadcraft Safety is more important than Systematic or Smooth driving, and that Pace is least important. Reading the report it appears that areas of criticism relate to being unsystematic and not smooth. Do you think that either of those are inherently unsafe? Or perhaps you know something about the OP's driving that the rest of us don't?

Or are you suggesting that all non-Advanced Drivers are unsafe, and that the IAM have employed someone insufficiently skilled to assess young drivers?
true blue

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum