RoSPA re-test process

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:49 am

My re-test was due on the 20th July, and I had received and submitted the forms in mid-June. I got an automatic email acknowledging receipt of the form, but then heard nothing until I got another automatic email on the 20th July telling me my re-test was overdue. That message also said that the application form would be sent to me, so I waited to see what would come in the post.

Nothing had arrived after a couple of weeks, so I rang RoSPA and left voicemail messages for several days in succession. Still, I heard nothing. I rang again today, and left a message on a different voicemail. That message was returned, by someone called Michael, who promised me that an examiner would be in touch very soon.

The person who called me today couldn't explain what had gone wrong, and said he didn't have any control over the automatic emails; but I wonder if there are problems at RoADAR, or if it's just that my forms slipped through a gap. Because it has take so long for someone to call me back, I feel it might not just be me!

Has anyone got any insights? Thank you!

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby michael769 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:49 pm

I got my reminded by post and submitted by post ans it was pretty seamless.

In fact the exam was arranged a lot quicker than had been the case in the past.

It sounds like you did it online? Perhaps that's where they are having issues.

I've found contacting RoADAR to be pretty Ok in the past, but I do note it is holiday time so they may be being affected by folks being off.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby GS » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:06 pm

Maybe your local examiner has been on holiday or busy.
GS
GS

Postby superplum » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Don't blame "Michael"! :) He has only been in the job for 2 weeks. He is the third person in that post in the last 3 months. There have been a lot of admin problems which have probably allowed a few things to fall through the cracks but should now be sorted. If you continue to experience problems, my advice would be to ask your local group to chase it up.
8)
superplum

Postby hir » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 pm

I had to chase pretty hard and persistently last autumn to get a response to my request for a re-test.
hir

Postby martine » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:28 pm

hir wrote:I had to chase pretty hard and persistently last autumn to get a response to my request for a re-test.

How strange - or perhaps it isn't since ROSPA re-tests are 'free'?

I get the impression, from the outside, RoADAR is run by a handful of people at HQ. Now, many criticise the IAM for having over 70 staff at Chiswick but that does include the charity side and the commercial: Drive and Survive...so perhaps that's not so bad?

The IAM do seem to consistently respond to test bookings within 2 days now.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mike H » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:49 pm

I'd never had any retest issues until the last one in February 2012.....

.....some thirteen months overdue!!!

I'm waiting to see what happens early next year ;)
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby MikeB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:47 pm

Never had a problem since 1965, works like clockwork for me. There have been a few staff changes recently but I'm sure that full service will be resumed soon. Tests might be 'free' but the quality is beyond reproach.

Mike Beavan.
MikeB Mid-Cheshire
MikeB

Postby michael769 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:16 am

martine wrote:
I get the impression, from the outside, RoADAR is run by a handful of people at HQ. Now, many criticise the IAM for having over 70 staff at Chiswick but that does include the charity side and the commercial: Drive and Survive...so perhaps that's not so bad?

I think that is probably accurate. Certainly whenever I have spoken to HQ it is always the same one or two folks who take calls. The overall impression is that it's a fairly small admin office, which i believe also deals with the commercial training side.

I have generally found them pretty helpful to be honest.

We have had a slowdown locally due to the main examiner going on log term sick, but thanks to the arrival of a new examiner (ex IAM) that's getting back on track.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby hir » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Heard of a case today where a prospective RoADAR member sent his test application off recently. The test fee was taken by RoADAR the next day. When he hadn't heard anything after a further four weeks he phoned up only to be told there was no record of his test application. My acquaintance then quoted his test fee receipt number and Michael said he would look in to it.

He's still waiting to hear from an examiner.
hir

Postby GS » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:52 pm

martine wrote:
hir wrote:I had to chase pretty hard and persistently last autumn to get a response to my request for a re-test.

How strange - or perhaps it isn't since ROSPA re-tests are 'free'?

The IAM do seem to consistently respond to test bookings within 2 days now.

I'm sure I heard that, as far as RoADAR was concerned, there were either 1 1/2 (part time) or 2 people specifically working for this branch of RoSPA. One lady virtually ran it single handed. This is not including the commercial driver training branch. This was some years ago, but I doubt this has changed.
GS
GS

Return to Advanced Driving Forum