The brake gear overlap

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby fengpo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Haha I laughed at that more than I should of. May be because me and my lady friend have called it a day.

Sod's law I was looking forward to Cape Verde in march, bye the 1k I've spent on paying it off. Way before the balance due date. Harsh life lesson learnt lol.
fengpo

Postby jcochrane » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:35 pm

I think of "High Performance Driving For You" by Tom Wisdom as the original book about the High Performance Course originally run by BSM. Tom and Denise McCann (both of BSM at the time) had the idea of the course and appointed John Miles (ex Hendon Advanced Police Instructor) as the first Course Manager. It was something of an experiment when first set up by BSM back in the mid 1960's.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 am

Gromit37 wrote:
Rick101 wrote:No not at all, was looking for a genuine solution to a problem.

Might be easy for you to to what you think is right but that doesn't mean the next person agrees with your technique.

I think the information in Road craft which is what most people seem to work to needs revising. It needs to give some clear must and must not's. That way their position can be clear and people can choose whether to use it or not.

A simple one liner about clutch use and what is regarded as the start of the gear change would be helpful to many I'm sure.

Remember that Roadcraft is really just a reference for police officers to be used in conjunction with a number of weeks training at the hands of a police driving instructor. It's not meant to describe every detail of every technique. If it was, it would be several times the size and several timesvthe price too :wink:

For what it is worth, I personally find separation can becumbersome and unsuitable under certain circumstances, hence I overlap. Do what feels right at the time.

Yup!

Some folk who know their stuff and who aren't immobilised by the politics of who it might upset, had better get busy and write that book so that we can all move on. I'll buy it as long as there is no reference made to how 'the police' drive. :wink:

The revolution will be.... published with an accompanying DVD containing demo videos of every technique/ method, with explanations of use, real life examples showing what happens if you don't get it right and possible exceptions. Anyone? I can already think of several ADUK members who I believe possess the open mindedness and skills required to undertake such a task. :idea:
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Rick101 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Been lent a copy of Chris Gilbert Day & Night DVD.
Did laugh when he talks about BGOL and says it's perfectly acceptable and safe to do it turning from a major to a minor road. My point exactly. Don't know why so many observers are so against it.
Rick101

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 pm

TripleS wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:For what it is worth, I personally find separation can be cumbersome and unsuitable under certain circumstances, hence I overlap. Do what feels right at the time.

Ah, you sound like fengpo's sensible neighbour.

Who are you calling sensible? You can go off people ya know! :wink:

I would offer to write the book, but judging by my driving recently, it might not turn out as expected. :oops:

I desperately some coaching again... and probably L plates too.
Gromit37

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum