No more Sunday outings

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Nicola » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:56 pm

I went for my ROSPA run this morning - had a very nice chap who took me round a very short route - maybe 15 minutes?
We got back and he just wrote on my sheet in capital letters - BOOK YOUR TEST :lol:
I knew it would come to this - I just wish I knew how to get round my nervousness. Did you all feel nervous? Do you feel nervous when you do your 3 yearly re- test?
Nicola

Postby Albie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm not in the position to give you any advice Nicola, just thought i would post good luck with your test when you do take it.

You are clearly ready for it or else he wouldn't have written that!
Albie

Postby jcochrane » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Why feel nervous? On an advanced test if you do well you get a certificate. If you don't do well you may not get a certificate. Is a certificate that important to get nervous about? Enjoy your drive just as I know you would normally. :D
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby martine » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Yep - everyone gets nervous in my experience - me included - I don't think it would be normal if we didn't. I think it's also true to say you can prepare well to help minimise it and once you've actually started the test, you're nervousness will disappear as you'll be soooo focussed.

Congratulations on getting this far and tackle it as a chance to show-off what you've learnt - the examiner is on your side and wants you to pass!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Carbon Based » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:45 pm

Nicola wrote:Did you all feel nervous?

Yes. Not as bad as taking my driving test at 17, which I remember being far worse than any of the O levels I'd just taken, but still a bit nervy. I guess that goes for anything that you have a genuine interest, or even passion, towards the result.

Good luck!
Carbon Based

Postby GHST » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Good luck with your test,i was very nervous taking my IAM test stuttered through a cockpit drill thought id messed it all up but calmed down as soon as we drove off and somehow managed a First so im sure youl be fine :D
GHST

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

You're bound to be a bit nervous, but in my experience all Examiners are really nice and will take time to get to know you and put you at ease. Any nerves you might have had will quickly disappear and you can get on and enjoy it.

A couple of things I encourage my trainees to keep in mind as they approach test:

- You're doing it because you want to, not because you have to!
- Enjoy the time you have with your Examiner
- There is no such thing as the perfect drive/ride
- If you make a mistake (and you will), don't dwell on it - put it behind you and work hard to deliver a great performance for the rest of the test.
- Develop simple ways to remember things if you're mind goes blank
- Have confidence that you're ready for it

When you've done it you'll probably look back and think: that wasn't so hard after all. :wink:

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :D
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Tests or exams are usually down to the indivdual being required to provide evidence of proficiency and/or knowledge without any exterior influence.
Driving tests though are subject to exterior influence, which is, perhaps, why many find them much harder than high level academic tests and exams.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Return to Advanced Driving Forum