Interactive speed limiters

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Graham Wright wrote:Not sure even 70 limit on a motorway is straightforward to detect.

It doesn't need to be. 70 is an absolute limit.[/quote]

Out of interest, what are the physical differences between the same car travelling along the same motorway, same conditions etc at 70 and at 80mph with you driving it?

What would happen if you couldn't see any indication of the speed you were travelling at?
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby fungus » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Kimosabe wrote:
Graham Wright wrote:Not sure even 70 limit on a motorway is straightforward to detect.

It doesn't need to be. 70 is an absolute limit.

Out of interest, what are the physical differences between the same car travelling along the same motorway, same conditions etc at 70 and at 80mph with you driving it?

What would happen if you couldn't see any indication of the speed you were travelling at?[/quote]

I don't know. Maybe drivers would slow down more where needed, and drive faster where safe, but currently illegal to excede the number on the metal lolipop. On the otherhand it could be mayhem.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:54 pm

As was pointed out earlier, we already have interactive speed limiters. One or more eyeballs and a means of increasing or decreasing vehicle speed is available to everybody who drives, and is about as interactive as one can get. Maybe if we actually remove a few road signs, leaving only the really important ones, people would pay more attention to what matters.

It seems to me that 'Ancient' is living up to his moniker. We should uninvent motorised vehicles and move back to the stone age! Human kind wants a means of travelling further than walking allows, at a greater rate and carrying or partially offloading those items they wish to carry. We tried horses, on a very large scale, and accidents were common. Many were fatal. We invented bicycles, but accidents still happened, people were still killed and injured despite the motor car not having a significant presence. We tried trains, but trains crashed, people were run over and many were killed. We tried the car, but people are still killed or injured.

Strangely, I can see a pattern here, so let us get rid of them all and watch as our lives become safer. Life will be much improved, Ancient will be happy and we can all exist in perfect harmony. Aka, the stone age. Good times for all.

:roll:
Gromit37

Postby Kimosabe » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:00 pm

fungus wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:

It doesn't need to be. 70 is an absolute limit.

What would happen if you couldn't see any indication of the speed you were travelling at?

I don't know. Maybe drivers would slow down more where needed, and drive faster where safe, but currently illegal to excede the number on the metal lolipop. On the otherhand it could be mayhem.[/quote]

I would suggest that as most drivers I see are unable to drive at any posted limit, that people already prone to driving at 40ish, including through some 30s and upto when joining motorways, would continue to do so. So that then leaves the people who can drive at a higher than posted speed. As I say, I doubt that you or I would drive any faster than at speeds we deem to be safe and that this has little to do with number matching speedo to lollipops. So we are, in effect, all being made to drive like imbeciles because of a few drivers who cannot think for themselves. Not much of an evolution and no doubt Darwin would be turning in his grave....
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby sussex2 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:50 am

Some of todays cars can already 'read' road signs and communicate the information to the driver.
I am told that many UK signs are not of the correct type to activate these systems; whereas most on the 'mainland' will.
A danger I sense from this is that it will be assumed by the human that because the machine has told him so it will necessarily be safe to do so.
What you use to protect you can be used against you sort of thing.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:55 am

Gromit37 wrote:As was pointed out earlier, we already have interactive speed limiters. One or more eyeballs and a means of increasing or decreasing vehicle speed is available to everybody who drives, and is about as interactive as one can get. Maybe if we actually remove a few road signs, leaving only the really important ones, people would pay more attention to what matters.

It seems to me that 'Ancient' is living up to his moniker. We should uninvent motorised vehicles and move back to the stone age! Human kind wants a means of travelling further than walking allows, at a greater rate and carrying or partially offloading those items they wish to carry. We tried horses, on a very large scale, and accidents were common. Many were fatal. We invented bicycles, but accidents still happened, people were still killed and injured despite the motor car not having a significant presence. We tried trains, but trains crashed, people were run over and many were killed. We tried the car, but people are still killed or injured.

Strangely, I can see a pattern here, so let us get rid of them all and watch as our lives become safer. Life will be much improved, Ancient will be happy and we can all exist in perfect harmony. Aka, the stone age. Good times for all.

:roll:

On Crystal Palace Parade in S. London (near the TV mast) there is a plaque on the wall.
This plaque commemorates the first pedestrian recorded as having been killed by a motor vehicle.
It mentions that the victim was a housewife and given the era I'm surprised they put the memorial up at all :shock:
I wonder what living in perfect safety would be like!
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:59 am

sussex2

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum