IAM commentary

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby silverfoxcc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:11 am

When I took the test back in 1999, i was advised that the commentary was now optional,

I was told today by an observer that it is now back in. Is this true?
silverfoxcc

Postby Stephen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:30 am

You can do it if you want but it does not form part of the SKL test.
Stephen

Postby Kimosabe » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:46 am

There's a box on the exam form for giving a score for commentary. So if given it will be marked.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby trashbat » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:33 am

Plus if you want a F1RST, you theoretically need a 1 in every box (with some minor variation), so you need it for commentary too. There may be some opportunity for examiner discretion.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Ralge » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:55 pm

I wouldn't know about IAM but, although there is no absolute need for a commentary on a RoSPA Gold test, I haven't seen (and can't really envisage seeing) a Gold drive that doesn't involve a more than competent commentary i.e. one that isn't just a shopping list - "so you've seen a cyclist ... so what?"
A commentary, after all, is fundamental part of the training and ongoing on-road risk management: say what you can and can't see and what you expect to happen and, crucially, what you plan to do to manage the risks, threats, hazards.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby martine » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 am

trashbat wrote:Plus if you want a F1RST, you theoretically need a 1 in every box (with some minor variation), so you need it for commentary too. There may be some opportunity for examiner discretion.

Nearly.

For an IAM F1rst to be awarded, commentary must score a 1 or 2.

http://www.iam.org.uk/component/content/article/2-uncategorised/20195-f1rst-with-commentary-clarification
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby triquet » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:11 pm

I am still a bit bemused by commentary. Some people seem to want exposition in full grammatical sentences, whereas IMHO short words and phrases express the meaning quite adequately. I'm not going to say:

"I see a cyclist ahead of me. I shall check the mirror, all is clear, I shall move out to give plenty of clearance in case he wobbles and falls off"

By the time I've said that, he's a hundred yards behind and I'm in the next county.

I would just say:

" cyclist ahead ... mirror check ... move out to pass"
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby skodatezzer » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:00 pm

What am I seeing? What am I going to do about it? That should cover it.
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby jcochrane » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:59 pm

skodatezzer wrote:What am I seeing? What am I going to do about it? That should cover it.

With perhaps a slight qualification on what I am seeing to what is relevant to the driving. :D
Otherwise as I did on a recent test the commentary ran "I'm now entering a very pretty section of road with with an avenue of overhanging trees forming into a wonderful green tunnel" I did then add "commenting on that may have little place in a commentary but the trees do create dappled lighting that can make it easy to miss something and also micro climates need to be considerd" :lol:

The other pitfall might be "wow that's an attractive young lady on the pavement." .....what am I going to do about it?....no comment. :roll:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:19 pm

jcochrane wrote:
skodatezzer wrote:What am I seeing? What am I going to do about it? That should cover it.

The other pitfall might be "wow that's an attractive young lady on the pavement." .....what am I going to do about it?....no comment. :roll:

" . . . Other drivers might be distracted, so I'll watch out for them . . . "

Similarly: low-flying aircraft etc.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Horse wrote:Similarly: low-flying aircraft etc.

Yes I am one of those that finds it irresistible not to look at anything flying...be it plane, helicopter, hot air balloon (plenty of those in Bristol) or even birds of prey. :oops:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:01 pm

What's the point in driving anywhere if there isn't a tea and cake/ pub lunch outlet along the way? I just don't see why that knowledge isn't also a part of a good commentary.
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:26 pm

Kimosabe wrote:What's the point in driving anywhere if there isn't a tea and cake/ pub lunch outlet along the way? I just don't see why that knowledge isn't also a part of a good commentary.

Oh no, all bad food for the driver wanting to be on top of their game. :D
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby jcochrane » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:55 pm

Kimosabe wrote:What's the point in driving anywhere if there isn't a tea and cake/ pub lunch outlet along the way? I just don't see why that knowledge isn't also a part of a good commentary.

For us "old Farts" the most vital information in any commentary ,just as it is when planning a route, is where the T(ea) and P(ee) stops are. This is where scanning to the limit limit point is so important so you can plan to stop in time and not shoot passed them.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:41 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:

Oh no, all bad food for the driver wanting to be on top of their game. :D

I'm on first name terms with every tea room owner in Sussex and I even received a Christmas card from one last year. This year, I joined a gym, lost a stone and three inches from my waist. Much rather eat cakes though :lol:
Kimosabe

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum