Supercar experience

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Albie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:41 pm

I have been given vouchers for a supercar experience - three laps in either an Aston, Ferrari or Lambo and was wondering if any of you good people on here had any experience at this type of thing and if so could give me some advice. I am at a total loss as to which car to choose from and how to approach the whole thing.

I don't want to make a fool of myself so any advice would be very welcome!
Albie

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:29 pm

Where is this experience to take place and who owns the supercars?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Gromit37 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:37 pm

Hi, you will most likely be driving round a course with corner entry, apex and exit points marked by cones. Your instructor will keep a tight reign on your general speed, telling you when to brake, turn etc. You're unlikely to be pushing the limits of the car. They are fun, in a slightly limited way. Unless you've had a sighting lap, the first lap will be very tentative anyway. If you've never driven such powerful cars before, you will enjoy it. I did similar laps in Lotus Elise, race prepped Caterham 7 and MINI Cooper S, TVR and Audi R8 I much prefer the smaller cars myself. The Audi was quite anodyne, but then my daily driver at the time was a Caterham 7!

Hope that helps. By the way, if you get chance to have a fast lap as a passenger in the car (usually around £20), take it. They are an eye opener when a 'pro' does it. They get to have all the fun.

Regards

Ian
Last edited by Gromit37 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gromit37

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 am

3 laps will go soon, with the 3rd including slowing to stop - so make the most it :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Albie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, most helpful.

I guess three laps and it will be over too soon but at least I will get a flavour of one of these cars! My own car is a 2003 Honda civic so a big step up for me.

The experience is at Dunsfold and i have ten months to book it up.
Albie

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Albie wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, most helpful.

I guess three laps and it will be over too soon but at least I will get a flavour of one of these cars! My own car is a 2003 Honda civic so a big step up for me.

The experience is at Dunsfold and i have ten months to book it up.

I've no idea of the "track" at Dunsfold, others here might have but it's not a race circuit.
That might mean that the "track" is designed to accommodate all who sign up.
That said, you should perhaps find out the particular models of each marque being offered.
That would mean you could read reviews and come to an idea of which would appeal to you.
Generalisation alert, Aston is GT, Ferrari is sorta practical sports, Lamboghini is the devil.
Your first lap, you will have to show that you can drive the car and if so, on the second lap you might be allowed to explore its capabilities and then as Horse has said the third lap is slowing down.
Thing is the person alongside might be the owner of the car.
So, how to drive it, whichever you decide upon, smooth AD style is the best way but appreciating that there are no speed limits or concerns about any towards.
You might need to use other than pull push of course but anyone who has read here will be familiar with the types of steering techniques and where each might be used.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:10 am

Dunsfold airfield is where Top Gear are based. It is where they do their timed laps with the Stig at the wheel etc. Their course was apparently designed by Lotus. You probably won't be using that layout because it's a figure of eight. Imagine the carnage of two cars meeting in the middle!

These companies are used to catering for everybody from spotty teenage speedfreaks to octogenarians, so just drive and have fun, be as smooth as possible and listen to the 'instructor'. You'll almost certainly be sharing the track with others of varying ability and slower cars. There are strict rules for overtaking and being overtaken etc, so don't get frustrated if you get stuck behind traffic or you're asked to pull over for faster drivers.

The Aston will probably seem tame next to the Ferrari or Lambo, purely from a noise and comfort perspective, but any of these are going to be fun. So have fun!
Gromit37

Postby Rick101 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:01 am

Do a lambo a few years ago. Murci iirc.

Was good fun, bit very much a 'experiance' rather than a opportunity to drive. Don't be worried about the limits of the car, unlikely you get anywhere near them.

Saying that, ceramic brakes :shock:

start to brake
almost stopped
off again
feather it again
almost stopped
off again
brake again far later than I ever would on steels, and i'm still way too early :lol:
Rick101

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:55 am

Press the right pedal to the carpet for as long as you dare. The instructor will prevent you from pushing too hard. The point of driving cars like these on track is to experience the performance. The natural inclination for most people is to be too cautious.

And who says an Aston does not sound as good as a Ferrari or Lambo?

My sons video here might help you choose the car:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBuXJmCZ9xA
waremark

Postby martine » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 pm

I did one of these with Everyman Racing @ Prestwold a few years ago. Courtesy of Tesco vouchers I had a day driving a Cayman, DB9, F360 and Gallardo for a few laps in the morning and again in the afternoon. It would have cost silly money but the vouchers paid for it all (I wouldn't have parted with cash).

It was great fun but over too quickly - I think we had 5 laps in each, twice - but for me (being a slow learner) I was only just starting to get the hang of each car before it was time to stop. I got nowhere near the limits and I don't suppose they let you - although having said that one guy (only 8 people for the day and 4 instructors) managed to take the Ferrari off into a cornfield. The instructor stayed with the car and the best from my point of view was the Lambo guy - big kiwi chap who had done plenty of racing and he was a hoot and quite willing to let me get closer the the limits than some. Never came close to really using the full (cornering) performance though...but that's not the point of these days really.

Enjoy it and of the four I drove, the Gallardo was my favourite - felt right, lovely sound, huge power of course and actually quite easy to drive at the relatively low speeds I was doing. Second fav was the Cayman.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Gromit37 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:58 pm

waremark wrote:Press the right pedal to the carpet for as long as you dare. The instructor will prevent you from pushing too hard. The point of driving cars like these on track is to experience the performance. The natural inclination for most people is to be too cautious.

And who says an Aston does not sound as good as a Ferrari or Lambo?

My sons video here might help you choose the car:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBuXJmCZ9xA

How the Aston sounds isn't a problem, they sound good. But you can't deny it is a luxury GT car, whereas the others are more raw and focused. Of course, those with a personal interest might be slightly biased :wink:
Gromit37

Return to Advanced Driving Forum