Local IAM group are dragging their heels

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby fengpo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:02 am

Hi all,

After a bit of advice spoke to the chief examiner of my local group last Monday; she told me I would hear off an observer immediately after their meeting last Tuesday. A week later I still haven't had no contact off them; getting slightly annoying if I'm honest.

Any advice on how to deal with it, only thing I can think of is call her again for an update.

Thanks all,

Conor
fengpo

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Conor,

I'd suggest a quick call to the person you spoke to to check with her how things are going. IAM observers are volunteers, and it may be that the person she had in mind for you isn't available, or has been away, or just busy. It sounds as if she may have misspoken if she did say you'd hear from someone immediately after their meeting: it's better for everyone if you get the right observer, and she or he has the time to give you.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:06 pm

In all your dealings with them, please remember that the folk in your local group are unpaid volunteers, who are volunteering to help you prepare for an advanced test. It may feel to you as though you have paid for a 'course', but if what you are going to get was being provided by a business on a commercial basis it would cost vastly more. Feel free to get in touch again, but make sure you don't treat them like a business which is letting you down.

PS Crossed with David's reply, but posting anyway.
waremark

Postby ROG » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Find out if the group has an observer co-ordinator and give that person a call
The group secretary should know who matches up observers with associates

Our group is very quick to match up as it is done by email and if an observer is unable to take on any more then another is selected asap

Our group does work on the same observer for the associate system which makes things so much easier all round
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby kwaka jack » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm also waiting to be put in touch with an observer. It's over 3 weeks since I bought my membership and 2 since I received all the paperwork saying they would be in touch.
kwaka jack

Postby triquet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 pm

It can take a v-e-r-y long time, and depends very much on waiting list and availability of observers. I fear this is something that IAM don't really explain very well ... I think it took me nearly six months to get going ... :shock:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby martine » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:05 pm

kwaka jack wrote:I'm also waiting to be put in touch with an observer. It's over 3 weeks since I bought my membership and 2 since I received all the paperwork saying they would be in touch.

Once you've bought 'Skill for Life' the local group is notified but it's also equally up to you to contact them - their details should be in your pack. Give them a call or email but as has been said, everyone at local group level are volunteers and have jobs, holidays, personal stuff to deal with as well as running a group.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fengpo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate the observers are volunteers.

To the other forum member waiting to be contacted; it's been 3 months for me. I'm going to phone my group again tomorrow. I'll post my findings in the thread.

Stay safe all,

Conor
fengpo

Postby martine » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm

fengpo wrote:Thanks for all the help, I appreciate the observers are volunteers.

To the other forum member waiting to be contacted; it's been 3 months for me. I'm going to phone my group again tomorrow. I'll post my findings in the thread.

Stay safe all,

Conor

3 months waiting to start or 3 months without any contact? If it's the former then it's probably just a symptom of not having enough volunteer observers...if it's the latter then that is unforgiveable and you should contact IAM HQ.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fengpo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Both of them really only contact has been me calling them. I don't want to pester but don't want my time period to elapsed; without attempting the test.

Looking forward to someone else assessing my ability, Chris Gilbert's DVD's are excellent learning material. But watching Chris behind the wheel, has made me impatient to get on the road to becoming a better driver.

The DVD's have raised my game, the subliminal dig at John Whitmore is intelligently delivered.
fengpo

Postby skodatezzer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Whereabouts are you?
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby Rick101 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:30 am

Definetly chase them up.

I've had similar and ended up joining another group. Still annoys my somewhat as I paid the group's annual fee. :evil:
Rick101

Postby fengpo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:58 am

I am in South Wales, was allocated to the Gwent group. Sorry to hear about your experience Rick.

I have been emailed this morning by my coach; he's a school teacher. Lives by the Severn Bridge so not exactly local to me. Not a big deal though; I've offered to travel to him.
fengpo

Postby martine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Rick101 wrote:Definetly chase them up.

I've had similar and ended up joining another group. Still annoys my somewhat as I paid the group's annual fee. :evil:

If you sign up and pay for 'Skill for Life' that should include your associate membership of the local group - you shouldn't be asked to pay anything extra until you pass (or before the year is up).
martine

Postby martine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:20 pm

fengpo wrote:I am in South Wales, was allocated to the Gwent group. Sorry to hear about your experience Rick.

I have been emailed this morning by my coach; he's a school teacher. Lives by the Severn Bridge so not exactly local to me. Not a big deal though; I've offered to travel to him.

Ahhh good stuff. Yes you are normally expected to travel to meet your Observer and in some parts of the UK it can be a considerable distance.

Enjoy your first drive - you're bound to be nervous but I'm sure you'll soon settle down. Keep us updated with your thoughts and progress towards your test.
martine

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum