Local IAM group are dragging their heels

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby triquet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:01 pm

StressedDave wrote:
fengpo wrote:Hopefully after this I can just do the test, so I can wash my hands with the local group. Feels like a part time job getting answers. They email as opposed to calling :/

You are aware that the people you are talking about are volunteers with no doubt (although this is South Wales) jobs, busy lifestyles and no intention to be doing this stuff 24/7 just to please you.

Spot on Dave. I think one of the problems is that IAM don't actually explain this very well to newcomers.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby fengpo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:06 pm

I very well understand they are volunteers, I've volunteered myself for years. If the IAM can't be bothered to put a suitable structure in place, why charge me the £139 or whatever it was. My frustrations are justified I paid money for a service ultimately.

Not long got back from the drive with the chief observer, told me all was fine. Had a pop at me for rolling to a set of construction lights, I was braking smoothly as it was going down a hill. Then I applied the hand brake, put the car in neutral. Criticism for the sake of it I think, as she wasn't making any notes to remind her or me.

Class 1 drivers don't like you to keep the momentum of the car going at traffic lights if at all possible apparently. Different to any literature I've read or watched on the subject.

Still no clue how to book my test, she didn't explain the process of booking the test to me, guess I'll call IAM HQ see if they can inform me.
fengpo

Postby kwaka jack » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:16 pm

When you first started with your observer, I believe he should have given you the application form to send off in the post when he thinks you are ready for the exam.
kwaka jack

Postby hir » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:55 pm

kwaka jack wrote:When you first started with your observer, I believe he should have given you the application form to send off in the post when he thinks you are ready for the exam.

Nah, that's old hat now. Nobody uses pieces of paper anymore. Your observer, or Chief Observer, should have told you that the group will book your test using the IAM's DTE system. If they haven't yet said anything about this ask them to do so asap.

PS: edited to add, your group may still be in the last but one century and haven't yet heard of DTE let alone started to use it. In which case you can go onto the IAM's website, login using your Skill for LIfe number, and "book a test" online.

Good luck with the test.
hir

Postby fengpo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks for the help gents, I will dig out my skill for life pack and do that.
fengpo

Postby kwaka jack » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 pm

hir wrote:
kwaka jack wrote:When you first started with your observer, I believe he should have given you the application form to send off in the post when he thinks you are ready for the exam.

Nah, that's old hat now. Nobody uses pieces of paper anymore. Your observer, or Chief Observer, should have told you that the group will book your test using the IAM's DTE system. If they haven't yet said anything about this ask them to do so asap.

PS: edited to add, your group may still be in the last but one century and haven't yet heard of DTE let alone started to use it. In which case you can go onto the IAM's website, login using your Skill for LIfe number, and "book a test" online.

Good luck with the test.

I was given a paper application form and I only took my test last month.
kwaka jack

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm

fengpo wrote:If the IAM can't be bothered to put a suitable structure in place, why charge me the £139 or whatever it was. My frustrations are justified I paid money for a service ultimately.

You paid IAM HQ £139. The local group gets about £30 of that I believe. None of that (obviously) goes to the volunteers. What they use it for is up to them. Hopefully groups would use some of it in standardising procedures and tutor training. Sounds like yours don't. The structure (apart from the certification of National Observers) has nothing to do with HQ, as far as I know. An actual IAM member may be able to tell you more. I belong to the "other" lot :D
fengpo wrote:Not long got back from the drive with the chief observer, told me all was fine. Had a pop at me for rolling to a set of construction lights, I was braking smoothly as it was going down a hill. Then I applied the hand brake, put the car in neutral. Criticism for the sake of it I think, as she wasn't making any notes to remind her or me.

Class 1 drivers don't like you to keep the momentum of the car going at traffic lights if at all possible apparently. Different to any literature I've read or watched on the subject.

I guess if it was obvious that the lights had no chance of changing, and there was a queue of traffic behind you, there might be some reason behind not dawdling up to the lights - the average motorist behind probably wouldn't understand. Otherwise, I'm fully with you.

fengpo wrote:Still no clue how to book my test, she didn't explain the process of booking the test to me, guess I'll call IAM HQ see if they can inform me.

This does sound like your local group is rather disorganised. However, are you telling them of your issues? You complain that they don't call you, but email. Do you communicate back to them? If given constructively, feedback can be very useful.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby fengpo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:17 pm

There was no traffic behind me at the set of traffic lights, I just call them back quicker to get answers. Emailing to me is like texting, easy for the other party to forget to reply or ignore you.

I have done the form to do my test now, hopefully with my shift patterns I can make myself able at a suitable time. For the test!
fengpo

Postby fengpo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:29 pm

IAM have sent my details to the examiner, that was speedy.
fengpo

Postby hir » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:55 pm

fengpo wrote:Had a pop at me for rolling to a set of construction lights, I was braking smoothly as it was going down a hill... Class 1 drivers don't like you to keep the momentum of the car going at traffic lights if at all possible apparently.

What an extraordinary silly comment for a Chief Observer to make. :roll: :roll: :roll:
hir

Postby fengpo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:27 pm

She was tired judging from the yawning so may of been an off day, her mind was elsewhere I guess.

Just did a google search on the examiner that will conduct my test, he runs a driving school doing advanced, emergency blue light runs etc. Seems to know a thing or two.
fengpo

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm

fengpo wrote:She was tired judging from the yawning so may of been an off day, her mind was elsewhere I guess.

Just did a google search on the examiner that will conduct my test, he runs a driving school doing advanced, emergency blue light runs etc. Seems to know a thing or two.

Who's that then?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fengpo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Ross Williams?
fengpo

Postby fengpo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Examiner has contacted me with the dates he can, three dates at the end of April. Just got to arrange a time and meeting place. Then I'm good to go to hopefully get the pass.
fengpo

Postby fengpo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Just to finish the story, had my test at a few minutes past 2 today. We was parked parallel to one another, we both laughed about it. My examiner was the ex Sargent of Gwent traffic Police, really enjoyed the test. Some police tips and stories.

Ecstatic I passed but not just a pass, a first. He assured me he doesn't give too many out. Was impressed with my attitude to driving for a young man. Then asked me to join the ROSPA group, he is the president of the Hereford group

Thanks again for all the help and tips at the Cheddar day. Roll on Brecon in June.
fengpo

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum