Just had my first observed drive

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby kwaka jack » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm

I've just got back from my first drive with my oberver and I enjoyed it, at the end of the run we had a chat about the drive, comments were it was a very solid and safe drive with only a couple of things to brush up on. Those being driving out of corners earlier and commentary.

My personel feelings were that it was an average drive and that I could have done far better compared to what I normally drive at when I'm on my own. I guess nerves got the better of me :roll: . Conditions didn't really help either as it was raining the entire drive with a lot of standing water in country lanes but hey ho.
kwaka jack

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:56 pm

LGV driver like you - 2 observed drives and you would be in for test
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Well done - you're bound to be nervous to start with. Ask you observer for a demo drive, if you haven't already had one - it help to understand what is expected. I'm sure others here (and elsewhere) would find it interesting to read how each drive goes.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fengpo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Well done buddy! What I did on my first drive was talk to myself outloud, just say everything you see. If you can verbalise your thoughts quick enough. If not pick the important points to comment on.

Don't take my advice as gospel man, I've only had 1 observed run. Ultimate Driving Craft is my main training aid.

You had good comments, even the best aren't perfect all the time.

Stay safe,

Conor
fengpo

Postby kwaka jack » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:12 pm

martine wrote:Well done - you're bound to be nervous to start with. Ask you observer for a demo drive, if you haven't already had one - it help to understand what is expected. I'm sure others here (and elsewhere) would find it interesting to read how each drive goes.

Cheers Martin, he mentioned a demo drive and that he would give one the 3rd/4th drive in. It'll be interesting as he's ex traffic so I doubt I'll be able to match his standard.
kwaka jack

Postby Ralge » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about not being able to match an ex-traffic's drive or commentary.
The commentary can be a bit of a circus act (juggling and fire-eating at the same time) - a WOW and very impressive but "not for me".
Practise saying what you can and can't see (Info TU), what you expect to happen and, importantly, what you plan to do about it (info G, position, speed, gear ...)
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby kwaka jack » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Ralge wrote:I wouldn't worry about not being able to match an ex-traffic's drive or commentary.
The commentary can be a bit of a circus act (juggling and fire-eating at the same time) - a WOW and very impressive but "not for me".
Practise saying what you can and can't see (Info TU), what you expect to happen and, importantly, what you plan to do about it (info G, position, speed, gear ...)

I usually say it in my head as I go along so I know I can do it. It' s just knowing someone is there listening to it that has put me off :roll: lol
kwaka jack

Postby kwaka jack » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Second run today, felt a lot more comfortable with commentary. Managed to keep it going fairly smoothly for about 45 minutes or so. We done a little bit of city driving which went well. We were going to practice some overtaking but couldn't find any opportunities, never mind always next week.
kwaka jack

Return to Advanced Driving Forum