Speed Seminars

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby 7db » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:43 pm

That's a good spot -- interesting article.
7db

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:11 am

martine wrote:I like the latest speed camera/info sign that was in the press last week. If you've not seen it..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2298468.html

I remember (as a child) that something similar to this was done around the Glsagow motorways (I used to try and spot the cars after their number plates had been displayed on the overhead gantries).
Slink_Pink

Postby James » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:22 am

It was in the Evening Standard yesterday, and the Metro today, that the speed limits on country roads are to be decreased according to casualty rates on that road. These are to be implemented by 2011. It is also likely though that many 30/40mph roads will have the limit increased where safe. Are we heading towards a universal 50mph limit in most places?
James

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:28 am

Police_Driver wrote:Are we heading towards a universal 50mph limit in most places?

Well that would certainly suit some driver's style - although I think 40-45mph is preferred :x
Slink_Pink

Postby jont » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:00 am

Police_Driver wrote:It is also likely though that many 30/40mph roads will have the limit increased where safe.

Given that most of these 30/40 limits were introduced on safety grounds, does anyone really believe they will increase limits in some of them? :roll:

There was an article on Radio 4 this morning about having consistent messages across the country about speed limits on rural A and B roads - and there I was thinking NSL at 60mph was precisely that.
jont

Postby martine » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:06 am

Slink_Pink wrote:I remember (as a child) that something similar to this was done around the Glsagow motorways (I used to try and spot the cars after their number plates had been displayed on the overhead gantries).

Really? I thought the automatic number plate recognition was cutting-edge technology.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MikeG » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:47 pm

jont wrote:
Police_Driver wrote:It is also likely though that many 30/40mph roads will have the limit increased where safe.

Given that most of these 30/40 limits were introduced on safety grounds, does anyone really believe they will increase limits in some of them? :roll:

There was an article on Radio 4 this morning about having consistent messages across the country about speed limits on rural A and B roads - and there I was thinking NSL at 60mph was precisely that.

Related link to the above Here:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5254926.stm

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby Porker » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:02 pm

jont wrote:Given that most of these 30/40 limits were introduced on safety grounds, does anyone really believe they will increase limits in some of them? :roll:

No, I truly do not.

Do not forget, fellow drivers, the array of organisations that appear to believe* that lower speed limits are a good thing. A quick list would include:

Brake
Roadpeace
Council for the Preservation of Rural England
Transport 2000
Sustrans
...the list could go on for ever.

The above are variously funded by HM Government (in various ways) and by commercial interests who would benefit from reduced limits or more specifically, making driving yourself a much less attractive option. :x

On "our" side we have - well, I can think of just three even vaguely vocal organisations:

Association of British Drivers
Safe Speed
The IAM (possibly...)

So, in my view, the choice is yours. Support Safe Speed and the ABD with your activity and hard cash now, or you can forget getting any more pleasure out of your driving - at least from a legal driving perspective - by 2011.

* by which, I mean that they are prepared to harness their objective of making driving a real chore to a supposed safety benefit in order to gain acceptance for it from a generally gullible and uncritical public.
Porker

Postby 7db » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:36 pm

Good post, Nick.

I'm afraid SafeSpeed is a little extreme for me, but ABD et al need support. I think The AA are the people who ought to be leaned on to change their tune from mild to positively supporting the driver more enthusiastically. Perhaps we're not right-on enough for Liberty...

I'd have thought you were more worried about the plan to charge for roads around Stansted... :)
7db

Postby TripleS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:39 am

7db wrote:Good post, Nick.

I'm afraid SafeSpeed is a little extreme for me, but ABD et al need support. I think The AA are the people who ought to be leaned on to change their tune from mild to positively supporting the driver more enthusiastically. Perhaps we're not right-on enough for Liberty...

Eh? Sorry 7db, but how is SafeSpeed extreme? As far as I am concerned what they promote is sensible stuff, far more constructive than anything we hear from government sources or any of the Brake or T2000 etc. people.

I would prefer the ABD and SafeSpeed, and the AA / RAC to be a good deal more 'extreme' in their demands for the restoration of freedom for the enthusiastic, knowledgeable and responsible driving community. We have already lost far too much freedom and IMHO we're not getting any compensating benefits.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Porker » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:43 pm

I echo Dave's question about Safe Speed. I know Paul moderately well and he is not extreme in the least. If anything, he tends towards understatement to ensure that his stance can't be perceived to be extreme. Notwithstanding that, all of the ant-driver organisations must have him at the top of their...ermmm...rhymes with "kit-list"...

I believe the AA is a lost cause.

The IAM are on message but seem to be too reticent about making a splash to be very influential.

So it's Safe Speed and the ABD - and Advanced Driving UK?

I'd like to ask another question - but I'm going to post it as a new thread.
Porker

Postby 7db » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:15 pm

Just my experience in conversation with Paul. YMMV
7db

Postby Porker » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:36 pm

YMMV

:?:
Porker

Postby crr003 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Porker wrote:YMMV

:?:

Your mileage may vary.