Training course review

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby akirk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Just finished two days with Andy Morrison (having had a couple of half days last year) and thought I would provide some feedback for anyone looking for more / further training... points are in random order :)

- lots of fun - make that LOTS of fun - Andy is a lovely chap to have coaching you - serious when needed, but light of touch otherwise with lots of interests outside driving as well - so plenty to chat about. Today, trying to get the z3 to do tight circles at Bruntingthrope ended up in my having fits of giggles - it was hilarious...

- gentle but firm - he is very good at introducing ideas / reminding you of what is needed and keeping your focus there (and bringing it back as necessary)

- annoyingly good and accurate :D (said in the nicest way!) when you think you might be right, sadly he is always the one who is right! He must have paid stooges around the country as he can predict what other vehicles will do before their drivers know - it became a standing joke over the two days! But you learn a lot from his explaining how he knows...

- wow what a driver - smooth fast, accurate - it is a real pleasure to be driven by him and a real learning time... very inspirational.

- I feel I have moved on enormously across the time with him (and he thinks so too - which is a relief!), so much theory makes sense now from a practical / experiental point of view

- I passed the IAM 17 years ago - I would say that a lot of that really helped as a foundation for what I did with Andy, but wow, what he does takes you several stages beyond that initial entry into AD

- so, if you have the time / desire / cash / etc. I can thoroughly recommend it - amazing experience - just be aware, you might need lots of fuel! (c. 18mpg today :D)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby jont » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:23 pm

akirk wrote: (c. 18mpg today :D)

I think mine (z4) was showing ~10 after a day at Bruntingthorpe last week. And don't ask about the tyres (despite the low grip conditions) :lol:
jont

Postby akirk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:47 pm

jont wrote:
akirk wrote: (c. 18mpg today :D)

I think mine (z4) was showing ~10 after a day at Bruntingthorpe last week. And don't ask about the tyres (despite the low grip conditions) :lol:

I didn't check the bit just at Bruntingthope :) that was an average including the rest of the day - another 3-4 hours driving... :D which didn't help the MPG - and I guess it depends on the norm for the car - mine is the 3.0l it can do 28 - 31 / should normally be c. 25 / my driving is normally c. 22! My tyres on the other hand - absolutely fine...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 am

Hi Alasddair. Good write-up! Could you add some more detail of tips and techniques?

[And can I claim the unofficial 'worst car at Bruntingthorpe' award? An old 1.0 Ibiza :) ]
Last edited by Horse on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:27 am

Glad you enjoyed and found the day useful, Alasdair. Andy is a superb coach that I've been to several times. I trust him 100% to assess where I am, in driving terms, and what I need to develop.

PM sent.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby akirk » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Horse wrote:Hi Alasddair. Good write-up! Could you add some more detail of tips and techniques?

[And can I claim the unofficial 'worst car at Bruntingthorpe' award? An old 1.0 Ibiza :) ]

:) I will allow you that award!

not sure that I can easily go through all the tips / techniques as there were so many, and they also apply very much to the individual driver, so the discussion with me and my driving is of course different were you or someone else to take the course...

some that were very clear were:
- road positioning, especially around corners - to anticipate others / consider the physics of the car and corner / allow visibility etc.
- use of accelerator and brake to balance the car, support your plan for the route ahead, ensure smoothness and fluidity etc.
- making good progress within the context of the drive / landscape / etc.
- overtaking - no-one teaches it and it seems to be starting to become a social negative - yet it is a constructive part of driving and your journey, we did quite a bit of work on that, from the atual technique of the overtake to risk management (i.e. no risk) to what-if etc.
- car handling, we spent some time at bruntingthorpe looking at car dynamics etc. doing emergency stops in the corners / avoiding imaginary pedestrians / etc.
- differences between auto and manual cars (I drive both, and my sports car is an auto...)
- understanding engines and how they work to lead to rev ranges, choice of gears etc. certainly now holding gears longer in certain circumstances - e.g. the z3 I was changing up at 4,000, yet the redline doesn't start to 6,500 so understanding the car and when to fully utilise it

lots more but that is a good start!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby true blue » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:15 pm

Glad to hear you had fun, and that you learnt a lot - the challenge now is keeping your driving up at the established standard and keeping the old habits at bay! (For which I can only claim a partial success, having had the pleasure of driving with Andy last summer).
true blue

Postby bluebox_rob » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Thanks for your description, sounds like a great couple of days. Can I ask how you got hold of Andy - I found him listed on the RapidTraining website, but that seems to be bikes rather than cars.
Rob
bluebox_rob

Postby akirk » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi Rob, he is well known in AD circles in his involvement with the high performance course and can be found on their website with his contact details:
http://www.high-performance-course.com/course-managers

PM me if you want more info...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby bluebox_rob » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:51 am

That's great, thanks Alasdair!
bluebox_rob

Return to Advanced Driving Forum