60mph or 70mph?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jlsmith » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Needs must I suppose! Very interesting to see though
jlsmith

Postby BigWheeler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:05 pm

OldenBill wrote:I am old enough to remember the "death trap" three lane carriageways in the 1960s where people overtook in the middle lane from both directions.

You remind me of when I was a passenger in my brother's car. He started overtaking a line of cars on the A4 near Marlborough; it was one such road with three lanes. It was in the early days of the NSL, and it was 70mph on a SC then.

Just as he started the overtake, we had a blowout and the car did a 180, and we overtook all the cars backwards at 70, with my brother (no mean driver) casually turned round with his left arm on the back of the seat and steering with his right. I'll never forget the look on the other drivers' faces, every one of them thinking "flash £$%^$" :mrgreen:
BigWheeler

Postby Pontoneer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:04 pm

jlsmith wrote:
OldenBill wrote:I am old enough to remember the "death trap" three lane carriageways in the 1960s where people overtook in the middle lane from both directions.

Or, as this evidence from 1939 at 48secs shows, overtaking using the far right hand side lane... :P

http://youtu.be/_D0tR9mAV8A

I just saw this thread , what a charming glimpse into the past the linked clip was !

I was bemused to see that most , if not all , of the place name signs bore the RAC logo , also at approx 1:51 they seemed to have a single solid centre line marking back then , presumably a precursor to the double line systems we have now .
Pontoneer

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum