Police drivers on TV

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Graham Wright » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:48 am

I have yet to see one driving in the manner prescribed by Roadcraft.

The over-the-shoulder shots betray thumbs and crossed hands. No PP visible.

Comments?
Graham Wright

Postby TripleS » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 am

Graham Wright wrote:I have yet to see one driving in the manner prescribed by Roadcraft.

Comments?

Aye, I know, I've often thought the same. You see a good deal of stuff that's not 'by the book', but it looks fine to me.

They seem to do what is required at the time, and when something more formal and precise is needed, the technique changes accordingly. What else is necessary?

Are you unhappy about what you've seen, Graham?
TripleS

Postby Graham Wright » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:53 am

No- superior!
Graham Wright

Postby akirk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12 am

do all traffic schools teach only pull-push? roadcraft is not that strict!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Graham Wright » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:24 am

akirk wrote:do all traffic schools teach only pull-push? roadcraft is not that strict!

Alasdair

It was written by a policeman! It was either Colonel T E St. Johnson or Geoffrey Palfrey (?) who were (I think) Chief Constables of Lancon.

Doubtless, someone will correct me.
Graham Wright

Postby TripleS » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:34 am

Graham Wright wrote:No- superior!

Oh I don't think you need to regard me as superior: just different. I think I've got that bit right! :lol:
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Even my driving instructor doesn't tell me I need to pull-push.

You don't get marked down on the steering technique on the DSA test, as long you show you are capable of controlling your speed smoothly whilst turning.
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:33 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Even my driving instructor doesn't tell me I need to pull-push.

You don't get marked down on the steering technique on the DSA test, as long you show you are capable of controlling your speed smoothly whilst turning.

Good.

From what I can remember, I don't think much was said about how I ought to hold and move the steering wheel, although it was a year or two back, and the old memory ain't what it was.....
TripleS

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Graham Wright wrote:I have yet to see one driving in the manner prescribed by Roadcraft.

Comments?

So what?

Do we really consider hand position as the sole test of whether someone is driving to RC? That is one page out of 100+ and not the most important.
zadocbrown

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:13 pm

zadocbrown wrote:

Comments?

So what?

Do we really consider hand position as the sole test of whether someone is driving to RC? That is one page out of 100+ and not the most important.

.... despite there being several alternative steering methods mentioned in RC, two AD organisations (their volunteer observers) very much consider one particular hand position to be pivotal, regardless of the outcomes of the currently adapted steering technique being used. (No pun intended, even though it was a good one).
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby daz6215 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:14 pm

There is probably some schools using a more common sense approach to some elements providing the input doesn't affect the output and safety is not compromised. Trying to change someone's natural style can sometimes adversely have an effect on their performance, so maybe not being too dogmatic about theories and principles that were implemented when vehicles were very different isn't such a bad thing!
Last edited by daz6215 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daz6215

Postby Rick101 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:21 am

I always found it strange that some observers would place great importance on what seem to be very minor things, pull push and thumb position being one of them.

Raising the point that Roadcraft also talks about rotational steering is often met with agitation and annoyance.

I sometimes question whether we have the right type of people as observers.
Rick101

Postby jcochrane » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am

Rick101 wrote:I always found it strange that some observers would place great importance on what seem to be very minor things, pull push and thumb position being one of them.

Raising the point that Roadcraft also talks about rotational steering is often met with agitation and annoyance.

6 of us on this forum were invited to a meeting some time ago with IAM Examiners and were met with this same attitude including that Roadcraft only allows holding the steering wheel at 10-2. :shock: :roll:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby vonhosen » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:41 am

jcochrane wrote:
Rick101 wrote:I always found it strange that some observers would place great importance on what seem to be very minor things, pull push and thumb position being one of them.

6 of us on this forum were invited to a meeting some time ago with IAM Examiners and were met with this same attitude including that Roadcraft only allows holding the steering wheel at 10-2. :shock: :roll:

You need to get your examiners from a wider experience base/background.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby jcochrane » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:13 pm

vonhosen wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

You need to get your examiners from a wider experience base/background.

Agree whole heartedly. I keep drumming on that the changes the IAM are looking into at the moment when implemented must start with Examiners. It was Examiners' varying interpretations based on the driving school they went to that kicked of the dilemmas as to what was expected on test and hence what advice Observers should be giving.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum