I've been feeling horny lately...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:51 pm

I struggle to recall the last time I used the horn. I do consider use, not quite often but more than rarely, but usually have dealt with the hazard by the time I've made a decision.

Reading the posts is somewhat inspirational regarding means of using it. I see also a quite clear correlation between approach speed and length of horn signal appropriate. It's almost feasible to consider a system that directly controls the length of the sounding for a single 'use' in proportion to the current vehicle speed. While not perfect for all situations, it would remove an element of threat that some drivers seem to feel as the control is taken away from the horn user. Just a thought...
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby JamesAllport » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:51 pm

When I did the High Performance Course with John Lyon, a long time ago now, he summarised the system as: Course, Mirror, Signal, Brakes, Gears, Warning.

John's line was that when deciding when to start your system on approach to a hazard, you are really working back from the point at which you might have to give a horn warning, with appropriate time to react.

I still find that quite a useful way to think about things sometimes.

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby akirk » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:57 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Reading the posts is somewhat inspirational regarding means of using it. I see also a quite clear correlation between approach speed and length of horn signal appropriate. It's almost feasible to consider a system that directly controls the length of the sounding for a single 'use' in proportion to the current vehicle speed. While not perfect for all situations, it would remove an element of threat that some drivers seem to feel as the control is taken away from the horn user. Just a thought...

Nooooo - lets not encourage more control to be removed... we still have amongst the best driving in the world - we don't need to dumb it down further - removing control leads to removing or moving responsibility - that is not a good thing :)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 pm

I've had my under 17 driving instructor tell me to toot the horn twice when approaching possible pedestrian hazard points, especially in a multi-storey car park.

The only issue is, it's fine in the Citigo's that we were using as they had quite soft and friendly horns, but the Yeti has a stiff horn button, with quite a low and aggressive note, so it's hard to not come across as aggressive, because you have to push the button quite hard to get any kind of response at all!
TheInsanity1234

Postby Carbon Based » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:41 am

Has anyone else thought that a two stage sound might be a useful addition?

The regular horn for when it's volume and tone is the required level. Plus a slightly less aggressive sound, perhaps a nice clear bell.

Although it might appear to be a joke, I reckon it would get used a lot more!
Carbon Based

Postby Gareth » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:30 am

Carbon Based wrote:Has anyone else thought that a two stage sound might be a useful addition?

John Lyon suggested an air horn in parallel with the electric horn such that for a long enough press the air horn would start to sound, but wouldn't for a shorter press.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 5star » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:13 am

Carbon Based wrote:Has anyone else thought that a two stage sound might be a useful addition?

The regular horn for when it's volume and tone is the required level. Plus a slightly less aggressive sound, perhaps a nice clear bell.

Modern trams have this. When in city centre mode, a short 'peep' before moving office to advise pedestrians "look out, I'm moving off".

When in rail mode, a longer louder tone to warn "Move out of my way or you will die".
5star

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:54 pm

akirk wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote:Reading the posts is somewhat inspirational regarding means of using it. I see also a quite clear correlation between approach speed and length of horn signal appropriate. It's almost feasible to consider a system that directly controls the length of the sounding for a single 'use' in proportion to the current vehicle speed. While not perfect for all situations, it would remove an element of threat that some drivers seem to feel as the control is taken away from the horn user. Just a thought...

Nooooo - lets not encourage more control to be removed... we still have amongst the best driving in the world - we don't need to dumb it down further - removing control leads to removing or moving responsibility - that is not a good thing :)

Alasdair

I know, I know - it was just a thought!!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:50 pm

If you want a short toot in a car with a very stiff horn push learn to thump it with the right amount of force to just set it off. This gives a satisfactory short toot. The Boxster horn is like this, so I've had to learn the technique.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:27 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:If you want a short toot in a car with a very stiff horn push learn to thump it with the right amount of force to just set it off. This gives a satisfactory short toot. The Boxster horn is like this, so I've had to learn the technique.

Not the John Lyon technique, which was to operate the horn without taking your hand off the wheel.
waremark

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:52 am

Some day I'll find out what he does in his Cayman. I bet he struggles to give a short toot.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:If you want a short toot in a car with a very stiff horn push learn to thump it with the right amount of force to just set it off. This gives a satisfactory short toot. The Boxster horn is like this, so I've had to learn the technique.

Thank you, that could be the answer; but I still prefer the horn ring as used on the Jaguars. IMHO that worked very nicely.
TripleS

Postby revian » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:17 pm

TripleS wrote:

Thank you, that could be the answer; but I still prefer the horn ring as used on the Jaguars. IMHO that worked very nicely.

Too upmarket for me...Ford Zephyr 6 mk2 ....from memory hand the horn ring. My first car.... 8)

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:32 pm

revian wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Too upmarket for me...Ford Zephyr 6 mk2 ....from memory hand the horn ring. My first car.... 8)
Ian

Aye well, I've always had delusions of grandeur. :roll:

Back in my 'pressing nose to showroom window' days I really liked the Ford Zephyr and Zodiac Marks 1 and 2, but my first car was actually a 'Frogeye' Sprite. Together with the young lady who was later to become Mrs TripleS some lovely times were enjoyed in that car, whether it was moving or not..... 8)
TripleS

Postby revian » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:20 pm

TripleS wrote:Aye well, I've always had delusions of grandeur. :roll:

We Tykes (actual or honourary) don't have delusions of grandeur... 8)
Wirral
revian

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum