Books on vehicle dynamics

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Russ_H » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:21 pm

The recent thread on vehicle dynamics has prompted me to look at some background theory, at least as far as my Open University maths will allow. A search of my local library catalogue reveals this book:

Title: Tyre and Vehicle Dynamics
Author: Pacejka, Hans B.
Publication year: 2006
Language: English
Edition: 2nd ed
Classification: 629.248
ISBN: 9780750669184

If anyone is familiar with it, is it worth reading, or should I order something else?
Russ_H

Postby Angus » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:29 pm

You can see some of it on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tyre-Vehicle-Dy ... e+Dynamics

If it's your idea of bedtime reading........
Angus

Postby Russ_H » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:05 am

OK. M&M it is.
Russ_H

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:49 am

StressedDave wrote:...
M&M is a much easier read with far simpler maths. Olley is pretty good too... And if you can find someone with a copy of Claude Rouelle's course notes, that will be pretty handy too.

Care to expand for the un-initiated but technically literate?
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:36 am

StressedDave wrote:In the last couple of years there's been a huge number of books written by the Italian contingent. I've got copies of all of them (If you're an IMechE member they're in the new Springer section of the virtual library), but haven't had a chance to go through them.

Care to list some of the ones available on the virtual library? Alternatively any SAE papers (preferably 1998 onwards)?
Thanks,
Scott
IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:16 am

StressedDave wrote:Ricardo boy?

Haven't bothered with SAE papers of late (mainly because I don't have the time to weed out the dross). If you can get copies of the very early Milliken/Radt/Fonda/McHenry IMechE papers(1963 iirc) they're worth reading. IMechE proceedings tend to be a better choice and I've got access back to the year dot, but it's a case of being selective as to what you read. Pick a well-known expert (Dave Crolla, Robin Sharp, my old boss Bruce Maclaurin (if you like off-road) et al.) and their papers are normally OK.

The new ones I've found:

The Science of Vehicle Dynamics - Massimo Guiggiani
Vehicle Dynamics - Theory & Application - Reza N Jazar (That one is 'stralian so given their success in FSAE might well be worth a read)
Vehicle Dynamics - Modelling & Simulation - Schramm, Hiller & Bardini (German, straight into state space & algebra, so probably no better than Blundell & Harty)

There's a few more on Springer if you search under 'road vehicle dynamics' but I've not got around to downloading them yet.

Thanks.
I am one of Sir Harry's boys indeed - Although mainly in the thermal dept and 1D world so my only vehicle dynamics knowledge comes from university days. But I do have easy access to digital libraries for the newer stuff - The earlier stuff I would have to request from our library and get them to print it out, doable but more of a pain for my own private reading. I did do some driver training with your pal Hugh when he was working with Ricardo and opened my eyes to the advanced driving world with his demo drive round the Millbrook Hill route.
IcedKiwi

Postby jcochrane » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:50 am

StressedDave wrote:
IcedKiwi wrote:Thanks.
I am one of Sir Harry's boys indeed - Although mainly in the thermal dept and 1D world so my only vehicle dynamics knowledge comes from university days. But I do have easy access to digital libraries for the newer stuff - The earlier stuff I would have to request from our library and get them to print it out, doable but more of a pain for my own private reading. I did do some driver training with your pal Hugh when he was working with Ricardo and opened my eyes to the advanced driving world with his demo drive round the Millbrook Hill route.

You should see my demo around the Outer Handling... :twisted: I stay off the Hill Route as much as possible as my inner ear doesn't like it and my current vision issues (my right eye can't keep up with my left as I move/rotate my head) would only make the inevitable chunder occur all the quicker. I've got some telemetry results from Hugh and I in a Noble back-to-back round there. I'll dig them out and stick them up.

Don't you have some data of Don on the Hill Route that makes interesting reading?
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 pm

StressedDave wrote:Yes - lateral g on road tyres (and the almost crash on the first serious corner before Don realised it didn't handle like an MX-5 should :mrgreen: ). The most impressive thing was the amount of tyre rubber he left on the hairpins which was still present three months later.

Sometimes I wonder if Don only knows how to drive cars sideways. :lol: :lol:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Return to Advanced Driving Forum