Some data...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Astraist » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:06 pm

TripleS wrote:Well, to me that does sound an odd problem to have, unless one were to be a new driver and still struggling a bit with some of the basics, which clearly is not your situation.

Is your difficulty being caused because you drive a fairly powerful, or at least pretty lively car, whereas my low powered car simply doesn't confront me with these problems?

It's a common problem, for my clients and even for myself.

Even maintaining a perfectly balanced throttle is all but trivial, and most drivers actually apply a slightly trailing throttle through most of the bend, without even realising it.

Applying even more power (on short bends) takes even more discipline, and sometimes there is the problem of using too much, especially for drivers (like me) who prefer to run in lower gears at (dry) bends.
Astraist

Postby TripleS » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:12 pm

Astraist wrote:
TripleS wrote:Well, to me that does sound an odd problem to have, unless one were to be a new driver and still struggling a bit with some of the basics, which clearly is not your situation.

Is your difficulty being caused because you drive a fairly powerful, or at least pretty lively car, whereas my low powered car simply doesn't confront me with these problems?

It's a common problem, for my clients and even for myself.

Even maintaining a perfectly balanced throttle is all but trivial, and most drivers actually apply a slightly trailing throttle through most of the bend, without even realising it.

Applying even more power (on short bends) takes even more discipline, and sometimes there is the problem of using too much, especially for drivers (like me) who prefer to run in lower gears at (dry) bends.

OK, I don't wish to gloss over the problem too readily; I was merely querying it on the basis of the degree of difficulty that Gromit described, which sounded quite severe, but I suppose it all depends on the extent to which one is intent of cornering 'perfectly', in a technical/theoretical sense, as opposed to cornering in a safe and steady manner, which is what most people do most of the time.

Maybe I settle for too low a standard, but it sure saves me a great deal of heartache. :wink:
TripleS

Postby Astraist » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Oh, no doubt, so long as the driver is able to safely stop well within the distance seen to be clear, they should be well within the limits of grip and preety much everything goes.

Still, personally I try to apply the least force necessary unto the car in each bend. Means there is a greater reserve in case of surprises and the least demands on the tyres, suspension and the lot.

Not a very crucial aspect of how I drive, but an aspect of my driving none the less.
Astraist

Postby TripleS » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Astraist wrote:Oh, no doubt, so long as the driver is able to safely stop well within the distance seen to be clear, they should be well within the limits of grip and preety much everything goes.

Still, personally I try to apply the least force necessary unto the car in each bend. Means there is a greater reserve in case of surprises and the least demands on the tyres, suspension and the lot.

Yep, despite my generally cavalier attitude, those are my aims too. I just don't spend much time agonising about it all. 8)
TripleS

Postby revian » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:07 pm

TripleS wrote:True, I've certainly had my problems with sheep in the past.

Shaun the sheep... Seen the film, read the book, killed the star... :roll:

Ian
Wirral
revian

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum