Top Gear 'Foundation' - appeal

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Rumour I've heard is that May and Hammond won't renew their contracts, with all three setting up a new show provisionally badged 'Gear Knobs'.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Horse wrote:

Rumour I've heard is that May and Hammond won't renew their contracts, with all three setting up a new show provisionally badged 'Gear Knobs'.

The youtube video has been removed...what was it?

I think they would be wise to kill Top Gear - without JC it just wouldn't be the same and be forever compared. Even the long-time producer: Andy Wilman is rumoured to be leaving and he was instrumental with JC in setting up the 'new' Top Gear on it's return.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Just searched YT, this one's still live:

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Can't we just drop it? A programme that relied for its popularity on 3 blokes doing ever more stupid stunts including endangering diplomatic relations between the UK and several other countries, to massage their huge egos, has been discontinued. Let's move on for Pete's sake.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:21 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Can't we just drop it? A programme that relied for its popularity on 3 blokes doing ever more stupid stunts including endangering diplomatic relations between the UK and several other countries, to massage their huge egos, has been discontinued. Let's move on for Pete's sake.

Ahh not a fan then Nick?
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:30 pm

I used to be until it got really stupid and offensive, and started writing off good cars that I cared about (like 928s). I still watched the programmes they showed in the current series, but my patience was continually being tested.

I won't miss it if it never comes back.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:31 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Can't we just drop it? A programme that relied for its popularity on 3 blokes doing ever more stupid stunts including endangering diplomatic relations between the UK and several other countries, to massage their huge egos, has been discontinued. Let's move on for Pete's sake.

+1

Bring back the old Top Gear I say. I never really got the appeal of the new format.
Silk

Postby akirk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:59 pm

Silk wrote:

+1
Bring back the old Top Gear I say. I never really got the appeal of the new format.

That is basically Fifth Gear on channel 5 - including several of the presenters from the old Top Gear...

The mistake in all the commentary is to think that the current (just past) version of Top Gear is / was a motoring programme - the cars were just a hook for some of the best slapstick comedy on TV - there aren't many programmes I laugh at out loud...
Alasdair
akirk

Postby Horse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:19 am

Part of my day job includes writing risk assessments.

I'd like to see those the TG team have crafted over the years . .
Horse

Postby Gromit37 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:39 am

Sorry if my sensibilities don't match those of yours, but some of us liked TG precisely because of those three blokes and their irreverent humour. Far too much PC crap, people being too afraid to show a sense of humour because it might upset somebody? Maybe we should ban the Carry On films too, or in fact most comedy? Clarkson deserved to be sacked for what he did, and I'm sure he's a absolute ass in real life, but despite being past it's prime, TG was actually fun. Before long, we'll be banned from laughing at anything or anybody. Hope you enjoy 5th Gear.
Gromit37

Postby trashbat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:21 am

Gromit37 wrote: Far too much PC crap, people being too afraid to show a sense of humour because it might upset somebody?

Can you provide an actual solid example of this PC crap please? Preferably one not just along the lines of, 'it was better back when we could laugh at the ethnics', but whatever.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:53 am

Gromit37 wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Sorry if my sensibilities don't match those of yours, but some of us liked TG precisely because of those three blokes and their irreverent humour. Far too much PC crap, people being too afraid to show a sense of humour because it might upset somebody? Maybe we should ban the Carry On films too, or in fact most comedy? Clarkson deserved to be sacked for what he did, and I'm sure he's a absolute ass in real life, but despite being past it's prime, TG was actually fun. Before long, we'll be banned from laughing at anything or anybody. Hope you enjoy 5th Gear.

Not really a question of sensibilities, although I did cringe when they did stuff obviously offensive to other cultures, such as the stuff in India, Argentina, or the Southern US. More to do with the pointless destruction of classic cars, and the general focus on the personalities rather than the cars. For instance, any assessment of a performance car involved shredding a set of rear tyres so that Clarkson could demonstrate his drifting talent. We learned nothing about the cars. Then they did the same thing with someone's priceless D Type they'd been lent, without the owner's permission. And so on...

I did enjoy 5th Gear, when it was on. Haven't seen it timetabled for years though.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:33 am

Agreed. I used to watch TG many years ago, but to me it just became too silly. It's no great loss IMHO.
TripleS

Postby revian » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:48 pm

TripleS wrote:

Agreed. I used to watch TG many years ago, but to me it just became too silly. It's no great loss IMHO.

+1 used to enjoy... generally Including the anti -dumber of the PC stuff... But it's become (or Clarkson in particular) offensive for offensives sake...overpaid, overhyped, over indulged.... And has run out of steam.

Ian
Wirral
revian

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum