Scaring your passengers ?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:OK, so it has a turbo that kicks in around the 2k mark. So for progressive driving, you want to be above that, as you've noticed. For economy, and when you don't need instant response, you can cruise just below that point.

My 308's turbo comes in just a little earlier, at around 1700, but like yours, it pulls best above 2k. Motorway cruising in 6th gear when it doesn't matter can be at 1700 or 1800 rpm, thus saving money.

I have to admit, I can't wait until I get myself a car, I'll go for a non-turbo.

It's better to have a powerband where it's all no power, than to have a bit where it's negative power then just after a certain number have all the power you wanted 30 seconds ago :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 am

That's not the case with most modern turbo engines, turbo lag tends not to be a problem. One benefit of modern turbo engines is that generally, more torque is available lower in the rev range, and of course more power, so you don't have to rev the nuts off it. You get more 'in gear' performance, fewer reasons to change down a gear and it gives you more flexibility. In a modern, normally aspirated engine, the power and torque are usually produced further up the rev range, so you have to go looking for it... you rev the engine harder, it makes more noise and you change gear more often. But then sometimes, that's half the fun :wink:
Gromit37

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:14 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:...a bit where it's negative power then just after a certain number have all the power you wanted 30 seconds ago :mrgreen:

If you need the power, make sure you're in the right gear! :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Gromit37 wrote:That's not the case with most modern turbo engines, turbo lag tends not to be a problem. One benefit of modern turbo engines is that generally, more torque is available lower in the rev range, and of course more power, so you don't have to rev the nuts off it. You get more 'in gear' performance, fewer reasons to change down a gear and it gives you more flexibility. In a modern, normally aspirated engine, the power and torque are usually produced further up the rev range, so you have to go looking for it... you rev the engine harder, it makes more noise and you change gear more often. But then sometimes, that's half the fun :wink:

Not in our Yeti, it responses very slowly at anything below 2000 rpm, and at below 1500 rpm any increase in pedal pressure results in a horrible vibration and a stupidly slow acceleration.
However, if you keep on top of the gearbox, you can eliminate it completely, unless you're following the dimwitted 'eco-gear advice' (a small indicator in the MFD which tells you whether you can change up into a more economical gear) which constantly encourages you to change up just after 1500 rpm.

Suffice to say, I tend to ignore it and keep going until about 3000 rpm.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:...a bit where it's negative power then just after a certain number have all the power you wanted 30 seconds ago :mrgreen:

If you need the power, make sure you're in the right gear! :mrgreen:

I am, usually, I'm more thinking of my parents who very often are not.
TheInsanity1234

Postby playtent » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:56 pm

My mom has a Skoda Roomster 1.2.
She is a terrible passenger who doesn't like driving in the dark and won't go on a motorway. She grabs the sun visor every time I come towards a corner and is scarred half to death if I over take a mobility scooter.
She really isn't impressed with the 535d and finds the acceleration at anything more than said mobility scooter pace excessive.
So do I adjust my driving to suit her level and drive at 40 in a 30 past a school because she does and then do the same on the open road, or do I do what I do and she makes her choice if she gets in the car with me.

Many years ago I used to scare myself when I drove, but now I just scare those around me, so at least I'm improving and heading in the right direction.

You can take the time to explain what your doing, but unless the passenger is receptive to it, there going to be scared if you pop an overtake that they didn't even see, let alone consider.

As their vision is the end of the bonnet, they don't see the opportunity to overtake, so assume you have just pulled out blind with a do or die attitude.

It doesn't mean your doing it wrong, it just means they need to improve their driving. :wink:
playtent

Postby akirk » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Scaring passengers because driving is pushing on a bit is different to scaring them because they are generally nervous but you are driving fine...

With the former it makes sense to moderate your driving, with the latter it is a choice based on your relationship with them... If you like them, slow down, if you don't- suggest they walk!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TripleS » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 pm

playtent wrote:My mom has a Skoda Roomster 1.2.
She is a terrible passenger who doesn't like driving in the dark and won't go on a motorway. She grabs the sun visor every time I come towards a corner and is scarred half to death if I over take a mobility scooter.
She really isn't impressed with the 535d and finds the acceleration at anything more than said mobility scooter pace excessive.
So do I adjust my driving to suit her level and drive at 40 in a 30 past a school because she does and then do the same on the open road, or do I do what I do and she makes her choice if she gets in the car with me.

Many years ago I used to scare myself when I drove, but now I just scare those around me, so at least I'm improving and heading in the right direction.

You can take the time to explain what your doing, but unless the passenger is receptive to it, there going to be scared if you pop an overtake that they didn't even see, let alone consider.

As their vision is the end of the bonnet, they don't see the opportunity to overtake, so assume you have just pulled out blind with a do or die attitude.

It doesn't mean your doing it wrong, it just means they need to improve their driving. :wink:

I'm inclined to feel we're doing it wrongly if a passenger shows any sign of concern; and I don't expect them to put a lot of effort into concealing their concern either. If they're uncomfortable, for whatever reason, I'd prefer to know about it promptly and make the necessary adjustments to my driving.

IME fairly high speed doesn't necessarily alarm passengers, but what does seem to worry them is the sensation of rushing into hazards, whether it be a bend and they fear we're going to fly off the road, or where we're going to need to stop or slow to a very low speed. So long as a driver starts slowing down early (no late and hard braking) and deals with things in a relaxed and quietly confident manner, they tend to find that reassuring and there's no problem.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby triquet » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Exactly. The nervous passenger behaves a bit like the Magic Insurance Box, and reacts to acceleration / deceleration and lateral acceleration. And never brake hard enough for the ABS to kick in .... :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Astraist » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:58 pm

Passengers react more to changes in the rate of acceleration, so being smooth usually pays itself in making them more comfortable.

Most anxiety and even car sickness are resolved by getting the passenger to look further ahead, reducing the sense of both absolute speed and speed carried towards hazards.

When coaching on a racetrack and doing an example of driving around the track, passengers who do not follow the advice to look further up can go as far as vomiting. Such a view is not uncommon in the Taxis that work around the Nurburgring.
Astraist

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Some people are always going to be "exciting" or "scary" (depends on how you view it). Paul (playtent) is one of those. As he says, you basically take it or leave it, even if you are his Mum. If you have the AD outlook, eventually you learn a measure of trust, but it's always tempered with a little sphincter clenching.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Carbon Based » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Would calming a nervous passenger be helped with a little commentary?

It might not work under all circumstances, and might be easier without a family link as you are effectively attempting to coach them in their role as passenger.
Carbon Based

Postby Silk » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:37 am

StressedDave wrote:FWIW, I don't develop a measure of trust - born out of sitting alongside people like Paul who demonstrated the one-size-fits-all approach of Police driver training. Not all Class I are exceptional.

That paragraph looks a bit like English, but I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.
Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:56 am

StressedDave wrote:Try engaging the brain after reading Mr C-W's post from yesterday. Or alternatively, don't bother - I doubt I'll lose any sleep over your lack of comprehension.

Ok.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:05 am

Silk wrote:
StressedDave wrote:Try engaging the brain after reading Mr C-W's post from yesterday. Or alternatively, don't bother - I doubt I'll lose any sleep over your lack of comprehension.

Ok.

I must admit that I found Nick's post somewhat helpful in understanding what SD said later.

There, you see, you and I are not always on different wavelengths. I can be a bit dense, too. :lol:

Gardening time: TTFN.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:07 am

Is your face hurting again, Dave? :P

Steve, I think what Dave's trying to say is he's been exposed to lots of Class 1 drivers and doesn't necessarily trust them all. I don't know if you've driven with Paul, SD, but he's actually pretty good. I've learnt useful stuff from him, hence my trust.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum