"Standard" AD techniques

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:47 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:assumed I'd be able to chug around it using the anti-stall in 3rd while hovering my feet over the brake and clutch.

Ah, for some reason I'd assumed you were in 1st! :D

I can't think of many times I'd ever be in 3rd in a car park :shock:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:assumed I'd be able to chug around it using the anti-stall in 3rd while hovering my feet over the brake and clutch.

Ah, for some reason I'd assumed you were in 1st! :D

I can't think of many times I'd ever be in 3rd in a car park :shock:

This was before I'd realised it was a bad habit to use the anti-stall to keep the car moving, which meant I'd had my entire town driving style adapted to make use of this.

As in, I'd be in 5th on any straight bit of road where I can maintain 30, as the anti-stall keeps the car moving at just over 30 meaning I didn't have to keep my foot on the accelerator.

But that was abolished within the first 2 weeks of being 17 when I'd realised if I wanted to accelerate at all to get out of potential hazard situations, I was better off in 3rd.
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:That deserves a thunderous roar of applause: well it gets it from me anyhow. :mrgreen:

I'm sure it's all very reassuring for those who can't be bothered.

....can't be bothered to do things the 'right' way? Is that what you'd have said had you bothered to complete it?
TripleS

Postby Silk » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:35 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:That deserves a thunderous roar of applause: well it gets it from me anyhow. :mrgreen:

I'm sure it's all very reassuring for those who can't be bothered.

....can't be bothered to do things the 'right' way? Is that what you'd have said had you bothered to complete it?

I meant exactly what I said. It appears that you're seeking reassurance for your decision not to bother.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:07 am

Silk wrote:I meant exactly what I said. It appears that you're seeking reassurance for your decision not to bother.

Not really. I don't seek reassurance. but a bit of agreement and support doesn't come amiss. In the meantime I feel I'm getting reasonable results in practical terms, which is the main thing, I'd say.
TripleS

Postby Silk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:14 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:I meant exactly what I said. It appears that you're seeking reassurance for your decision not to bother.

Not really. I don't seek reassurance. but a bit of agreement and support doesn't come amiss. In the meantime I feel I'm getting reasonable results in practical terms, which is the main thing, I'd say.

Most drivers get reasonable results in that they, for the most part, avoid hitting anything or scaring their passengers and other road users too much. But then they're not regular contributors to a driving forum.

As with any skill, most people find it best to take the combined knowledge of experts who went before rather than rely their own trial and error. It's a bit like not bothering with an apprenticeship because you already know how to hold a hammer, you won't accept there's any other way, a "expert" down the pub has told you that you're right and everyone else is wrong, and who cares because you haven't yet bashed your thumb?
Silk

Postby TripleS » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Most drivers get reasonable results in that they, for the most part, avoid hitting anything or scaring their passengers and other road users too much. But then they're not regular contributors to a driving forum.

As with any skill, most people find it best to take the combined knowledge of experts who went before rather than rely their own trial and error.

You seem to be working on the basis that I have depended solely on my own trial and error, and that the "combined knowledge of experts who went before" has been totally disregarded by me. That is simply not the case.

I started reading books about advanced driving about a couple of years before I was old enough to begin taking driving lessons, and I have continued to maintain a fairly keen interest in the subject ever since. As I have previously acknowledged, that is not the best way of acquiring expertise in the subject, but it's a lot better than doing nothing. Instead of attacking my method of learning, you ought to be more concerned about the millions of drivers who take no interest whatsoever in the subject. :evil:

Anyhow, enough of this carp. What's more pleasing to me at the mo is the fact that my beetroot seedlings have started to make a move. Maybe you ought to spend more time in the garden, too. :P
TripleS

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum