"Standard" AD techniques

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Astraist » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:36 am

Plus, you are than steering across a diameter as opposed to steering across a chord. But than again, shoulder breadth and steering diamaters varies and a few drivers might be better off with a narrower grip.

People being taught to shuffle instead of big bites frustrates me so much that I wrote a dedicated thread about it some time ago.

That isn't a problem with Pull-Push per se. In Israel, the common practice is rotational steering, and drivers still take too little "bites" of steering with each hand.

Most of the benefit from predictive steering comes from allowing drivers to perform all but the tight U-turns in a single armfull.
Astraist

Postby hir » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:02 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:People being taught to shuffle instead of big bites frustrates me so much that I wrote a dedicated thread about it some time ago. It should be grounds for taking away their ADI ticket.

I fear that this problem of shuffle-shuffle will be with us forever. There just aren't enough local tracks available where instructors and their clients can go and practice non-shuffling in safety. :lol: :lol: :lol:
hir

Postby triquet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Followinga bit of self-analysis re hands on wheel, I find that on the large Saab (9-5 estate) I tend to have hands 10-2 partly because the wheel won't adjust any higher and |don't want to have the seat any lower or I can't see the corners of the vast Saab bonnet. On the other Saab (antideluvian 900) the position is better and I drive 9-3. It's a funny world.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Terry Williams » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:59 pm

Terry Williams wrote:
Speaking to CG a few months ago and he uses BGOL ( towards the end of the braking phase )
for left hand junctions. As mentioned in his DVD's

What realy annoys me with people like this who now admit to BGOL are so adamant that heel n toe is the ultimate sin. As has been said before it is only BGOL whilst having the means to rev match.

When you see CG please ask him how on earth he rev matches when he BGOL's. I don't accept the usual answer that is "I'm going so slowly it does not matter." There occasions where the speed can be quite high eg. a downhill bend.

Provided speed is slow enough fthe gear will drop in without Rev match. This can even be achieved with crash boxes.
Don't know what CG does for downhill bends-I use h/t
I've no idea what CG does for downhill bends. I use h/t
TJW
Terry Williams

Postby TripleS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:56 pm

triquet wrote:I still am not totally convinced about BGOL. As long as the car slows down at the right time under control, and I'm ready to go at the right time in a suitable gear who really gives a rice pudding? It's like arguing about angels dancing on the point of a pin ... emperors new clothes and all that ... :mrgreen:

:)

As I understand it the main purpose of full separation is to induce one to slow down sufficiently early on the approach to a hazard. If one can be relied upon to slow to a suitable speed sufficiently early without needing to separate, then it would seem that BGOL is a fully acceptable alternative.
TripleS

Postby MrToad » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:13 pm

i was looking for something to explain to associates what Pull-Push should look like, and the best one I found was this - worth a watch:

Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Astraist » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:25 pm

From 1:56 the driver again "shuffles" and takes way too little bites of steering.

This is a better example, I think. Comparing it with a more predictive style should be interesting.
Astraist

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 pm

I refuse to watch anything that's titled using a split infinitive :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby trashbat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Did they forget to put an interior in that car or something? It's too frightening to pay any attention to what they're saying. What next, people with no faces?
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby hir » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 pm

All the PP demonstration videos so far have been of slow manoeuvring and HAVE BEEN AT LESS THAN 25MPH! We know how to do that, that's what we do! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Where are the demos of PP all-the-time-everywhere? At 60mph on challenging single carriageways. Do they exist? Or, is PP all-the-time-everywhere simply a figment of the imagination of Hendon trained police drivers and, in the real world, including their real world, it doesn't actually exist? I think we should be told! :twisted: :twisted:

Come to think of it I don't recall PP being used all-the-time-everywhere by police drivers when on a "shout" in Motorway Cops or Police Interceptors. Nor do I ever recall Bert Lynch or "Fancy" Smith using PP when in hot pursuit of Scouse scallywags in Z-Cars. :lol: Ah! the golden age of my formative years.
hir

Postby fengpo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:03 pm

Surely easier to use what suits you and we leave it at that. I prefer to use pp at 10 - 2, or quarter - 3. Depending on what is best suited for my driving environment.

Find pp has limitations when you have to negotiate a mini roundabout in Morrisons!
fengpo

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:37 pm

fengpo wrote:Surely easier to use what suits you and we leave it at that. I prefer to use pp at 10 - 2, or quarter - 3. Depending on what is best suited for my driving environment.

Find pp has limitations when you have to negotiate a mini roundabout in Morrisons!

You've made the classic AD mistake regarding Pull-push... shopping st Morrisons. you should shop at Tescos. They have bigger roundabouts. :wink:

Edited to add, probably better not to go shopping at 10 to 2 or quarter to three. Try mid morning instead!
Last edited by Gromit37 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gromit37

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 pm

I didn't realise the "appropriate" position was ten to two.

I hold the wheel at 9-3 and I cross my arms at times.

I also use palm steering (only in supermarket car parks where I'm changing into second while negotiating a horrible u turn followed by an s-bend. :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:17 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I didn't realise the "appropriate" position was ten to two.

I hold the wheel at 9-3 and I cross my arms at times.

I also use palm steering (only in supermarket car parks where I'm changing into second while negotiating a horrible u turn followed by an s-bend. :mrgreen:

Don't. Short shift into second before the bends.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby MGF » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:18 am

A "'standard' AD technique would be having the correct gear engaged prior to starting your turn into the corner wherever that corner may be.
MGF

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum