New (Well Second Hand) Car.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jont » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:26 pm

mefoster wrote:
Monaro wrote:you now have me scouring the trade pages for Elise's. :D

Bear in mind the adage, "A series 1 Elise costs 10K, regardless of purchase price". And that was a few years ago... and prices have been on the rise since then.

Nah, not really. They've been pretty flat, other than for the 160s and Exiges. S1 111S can just about be had for that. Normal S1s are from about 8k.

Don't be put off by miles, particularly if suspension work has been done (bigger expense and will happen to /all/ cars, unlike HGF).

111S has the upside of a close ratio gearbox too. S2s are the other way around (normal S2 has the CR box, S2 111S has the wide ratio box).

/edit to add - there's a slightly more expensive (but nicely modified) S1 on SELOC at the moment too

/not that I've spent far too much time looking at Elise ads recently :roll:
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:39 pm

jont wrote:I bought something else instead

I see in another place that a rather nice Porsche has just been sold, any connection? :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jont » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:

I see in another place that a rather nice Porsche has just been sold, any connection? :P

Sadly not. Had it had one fewer 0s on the price, then I might have had a look :lol:
jont

Postby jont » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:47 pm

mefoster wrote:Looking at an 8K car I would want to have that extra 2K in reserve to "fix" the bits that are likely to need doing. e.g. floor, S2 suspension, remote thermostat, probax seats, battery remote charge/jump point, maybe a set of tyres. Hmmm... perhaps 2K wouldn't be enough.

Just typing this I can feel myself getting tempted back to the TADTS dark-side.

Must... not... look...

Have a look at the 111S above - most of that has been done (although when I spoke to the owner the S2 dampers were a few years ago so may be ready to do again).
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:58 pm

jont wrote:

Sadly not. Had it had one fewer 0s on the price, then I might have had a look :lol:

C'mon then, don't keep us in suspense! Evora? Europa?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jont » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:03 pm

C'mon then, don't keep us in suspense! Evora? Europa?

Haven't got it yet. All being well should be at the Shropshire day :P
jont

Postby Monaro » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi mefoster.

Yep always nice to have a bit in reserve like you say. And always nice to have a bit extra to put your own stamp on the new beastie. :)
Monaro

Postby jont » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Monaro wrote:Going boggled eyed with research and drawling at some of the mini beasts at present. :)

I think Mrs JonT got fed up with me going about what to buy for months so told me to get on and buy something so I would shut up about it Image
jont

Postby Monaro » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:41 pm

:D :D

Ahh, you seem to have life worked out sir.

I've tried that SEVERAL times with my good lady and I 'think' she's onto me. :(
Monaro

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:21 pm

"I guess the real thing is the word 'fun'. Reliability, ride, budget are all very important, but I love my driving and at the end of the day it should be fun to a degree. I'll let you know how I get on."

If you want bang for your bucks, get into an MX5 that suits your sense of style. There are currently four marks, with the Mk1's or 'NA' being about 20-25 years old and the Mk3 'NC' being a very sensible and still (just) current model choice, seeing as the £20,000+ Mk4 'ND' is imminent. From about £1000 to about £5000 you can choose from all but the newest Mk3's.

I've had a Mk3 for a couple of years and it has never failed to deliver. I'm currently looking at selling mine and buying another version with a view to having a BBR turbo installed. There are few small RWD 2 seater cars which are so readily accessible and fun to drive, in my opinion.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Rick101 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:09 am

Purchased an Elise S2 111R last year and have to say it has surpassed my expectations on every level. It's just a superb, fun, exciting, smile inducing, cheap to run, reliable, efficient car. It really is good for 'fun' driving.

We have an MX5 too NC, previously a NB, also a great car, more useable day to day.
Rick101

Postby dms66 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:37 pm

If you're thinking about an Elise for that money you should really think about a vx220 - very similar car but cheaper prices mean much more car for your money.

I've never driven an Elise so can't directly compare but I own a vx220 (naturally aspirated) and it's amazing to drive. Don't get me wrong: no power steering, low with firm seats, firm ride, wide wheel arches & sills, noisy engine, smallish boot - it really is a very focused car and not the most practical thing in the world. However above 11k You can get either a completely mint naturally aspirated VX or an entry level turbo (which with almost 200bhp is serious performance in a 900kg car). For 15k you can get a pristine turbo and if I'd had a bit more budget then that's certainly what I'd be driving right now!
dms66

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum