New (Well Second Hand) Car.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Monaro » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Folks.

A question, hopefully someone may have some experience. :D

I've driven many cars over the years and my present drive is a Monaro VXR. Lovely car but circumstances are changing somewhat :shock: I won't bore you with the details.

In relation to this I'm seriously looking at buying a much smaller and less juicy car and am contemplating a Mini Cooper S, some lovely cars out there at the moment.

With this taken into consideration have any of you had experience of driving one. By all accounts they are a great drive, but I would like to hear from 'realtime' experience if you will.

Any advice you could offer would be great, vision, ride, pros/cons especially when AD is considered. etc.

Many thanks.
Monaro

Postby hir » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Mini Cooper S,

I drove one last year. Had mixed feelings. I was left with the impression of it being a mini that they'd tried to dress up as a sporty car but with no real conviction that the engineers/designers had achieved that which they set out to achieve.

But, don't take any notice of me, go and drive one. And don't be browbeaten into nothing more than a ten minute drive down the A414 Hertford to Hatfield dual-carriageway and back. You need at least a couple of hours to really get to know the car. There are plenty of technically challenging roads around Hertford. :D
hir

Postby Monaro » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Many thanks hir.

As you say it will take a good drive to see how I get on with it and 'it' gets on with me. :D

I know that route well sir, lovely road to really test a car followed by a few nice townie areas to see how it handles.

I'll let you know how I get on, many thanks once again.
Monaro

Postby kfae8959 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:55 am

Monaro wrote:contemplating a Mini Cooper S

They do suffer from torque steer, which gives what I once described as "a certain sense of je ne sais ou". But as hir says, the only way you can know for sure is to try one for yourself.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby fungus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:29 pm

My daughter has an R53 Cooper S Checkmate fitted with sports plus suspension, which is firmer than normal, and 17 inch wheels fitted with runflat tyres. The ride is very hard on anything other than a smooth surface and the car feels very skittish on uneven roads. I would personally go for the standard 16 inch wheels with normal tyres.

The gearbox is also notchy and fairly heavy, but the supercharger makes a nice sound as you wind it up to 6000rpm, and it is fun to drive.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:54 am

So subjective. I very much liked a Cooper S from about 3 years ago (a mk 2) - enough performance, nippy handling and a perfectly decent ride. A 10 year old one was much less good, and I found that an S Works had too much torque steer and too harsh a ride. I have not driven a new mk 3 version.

P'S Pity, I was looking fwd to a comparison of 6 litre beasts.
waremark

Postby Monaro » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi Garrison.

I've heard the same thing after much research. Great link, many thanks. :)
Monaro

Postby Monaro » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:41 pm

kfae8959 wrote:
Monaro wrote:contemplating a Mini Cooper S

They do suffer from torque steer, which gives what I once described as "a certain sense of je ne sais ou". But as hir says, the only way you can know for sure is to try one for yourself.

David

Hi David.

Research, research, research is what I'm doing but at the end of the day when I drive one who knows.

Thanks for the input David, all very useful.
Monaro

Postby Monaro » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:43 pm

fungus wrote:My daughter has an R53 Cooper S Checkmate fitted with sports plus suspension, which is firmer than normal, and 17 inch wheels fitted with runflat tyres. The ride is very hard on anything other than a smooth surface and the car feels very skittish on uneven roads. I would personally go for the standard 16 inch wheels with normal tyres.

The gearbox is also notchy and fairly heavy, but the supercharger makes a nice sound as you wind it up to 6000rpm, and it is fun to drive.

Hi fungus.

Many thanks.

I guess the real thing is the word 'fun'. Reliability, ride, budget are all very important, but I love my driving and at the end of the day it should be fun to a degree. I'll let you know how I get on.
Monaro

Postby Monaro » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

waremark wrote:So subjective. I very much liked a Cooper S from about 3 years ago (a mk 2) - enough performance, nippy handling and a perfectly decent ride. A 10 year old one was much less good, and I found that an S Works had too much torque steer and too harsh a ride. I have not driven a new mk 3 version.

P'S Pity, I was looking fwd to a comparison of 6 litre beasts.

Hi waremark.

Looking at Cooper S and many out there, difficult to pick just 'one'. :)

The JC Works versions look great but I'ver also heard a very hard drive.

I'll get back to you about a comparison between the 6 litre beast and the Mini. :shock:
Monaro

Postby gannet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:45 pm

The trouble with research is that... no one ever really sings the praises of a car - only the problems...

take for instance my car... apparently the engine is made of chocolate and is going to go bang at some point, invariably by 12k miles...

I must have a good 'un then at 30k and counting without problems... (goes and hides behind the sofa having just said that...)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Garrison » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Monaro wrote:In relation to this I'm seriously looking at buying a much smaller and less juicy car and am contemplating a Mini Cooper S, some lovely cars out there at the moment.

What is your budget? Age limit on the car? Minimum number of seats? etc.

I had a Mondeo ST220 and a Mazda 6 MPS - both of which I can highly recommend. Both are fun to drive in different ways (FWD vs. AWD) with excellent steering feedback, suspension damping and handling balance. Both were reliable even at high mileage if you find a well looked after one, cheap to buy, service and insure.

I have also driven the C30 T5 and Mazda 3 MPS which are also great to drive. I prefer the longer wheelbase of the Mondeo and 6 because the ride is more compliant and the ride and handling sweeter.

I did not like the MINI or the old Mini, finding it too bouncy and not enough suspension travel. Coupled with the short wheelbase, they are not great over the potholes and speed bumps of central London, with the traction control light flashing over speed bumps.

If you just need something fun, small and economical, there is always the Elise and VX220.
Garrison

Postby Monaro » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi Garrison.

Thanks for the reply. Budget will be around the £10,000 - 15,000 mark, age limit would be no older than 8/10 years, and only me and missus so two seats would be fine. Plus I used to compete (younger days) in Autotests many moons ago but after a medical problem I had to refrain. :( BUT.

You mentioned the Elise, lovely little cars, fun and relatively cheap to run and maintain, and of course a perfect car for reentering the world of Autotest. :D now that I am back on my feet.

Thanks for the input sir, you now have me scouring the trade pages for Elise's. :D
Monaro

Postby Monaro » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:03 pm

gannet wrote:The trouble with research is that... no one ever really sings the praises of a car - only the problems...

take for instance my car... apparently the engine is made of chocolate and is going to go bang at some point, invariably by 12k miles...

I must have a good 'un then at 30k and counting without problems... (goes and hides behind the sofa having just said that...)

Hi gannet.

Very true, sometimes a 'review' of anything is the opportunity for some to have a good old moan and winge, after all bad news makes news. :cry:

Well said sir and I will keep this in mind.

As I said the only real way is to drive a car over an extended period of time to see how happy I am with it, never mind anyone else. :D
Monaro

Postby Monaro » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi mefoster.

Indeed, as my research has shown. :shock:

There again I'm 'planning' on only using it at weekends. Well thats what I told the good lady when I bought the Monaro. :shock:

Used it at least three or four days a week, then the elastic connecting the rear of the beast and the service station got shorter and shorter. :D

I've got an old shebang of a diesel van that I use, so when I get a bit 'tetchy' about lack of response, noise, fun and thrills I'll have to take the Elise out. :D
Monaro

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum