Block Gear Changes

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 am

It's ironic, isn't it, that the IAM manages to be a charity while at the same time being an entirely commercial organisation staffed on the ground by volunteers, but our local RoADAR group has been turned down in our application for charitable status on the basis that we are a "closed group". One rule for the rich ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby akirk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:22 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:It's ironic, isn't it, that the IAM manages to be a charity while at the same time being an entirely commercial organisation staffed on the ground by volunteers, but our local RoADAR group has been turned down in our application for charitable status on the basis that we are a "closed group". One rule for the rich ...

a charity can be fully commercial - it is simply a matter of where profits go...

if your RoADAR group has been turned down for being a closed group that might be a wrong decision - to be charitable as a membership organisation you do need to be open to the public, not for a pre-defined / exclusive subset - how ever I believe there are valid reasons for exclusions - e.g. you could say only people with a current driving licence etc... quite surprised that you have been turned down - esp. as there are a number of local RoADAR groups who are registered charities - all you should need is a similar application / constitution etc.

if I can help at all let me know - I have quite a bit of experience in setting up charities or a not dis-similar nature - ping me a PM

Alasdair
akirk

Postby RobC » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:It's ironic, isn't it, that the IAM manages to be a charity while at the same time being an entirely commercial organisation staffed on the ground by volunteers, but our local RoADAR group has been turned down in our application for charitable status on the basis that we are a "closed group". One rule for the rich ...

Hi CW

There are different types of charitable companies. I've just set up a National Safe Driving charity as a CIC (Community Interest Company) without a problem. https://www.gov.uk/set-up-a-social-enterprise
Sounds like Alasdair can advise you here.

Rob
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby zadocbrown » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
martine wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Our local examiner came to talk to us and told us he didn't want to see DDC on a test because it was an old-fashioned technique and no longer necessary. I'm sure I sneaked a couple under his nose last Friday ... :lol:

Oooo you're just an AD renegade aren't you? :wink:

There's 2 techniques (at least :roll: ) I need to familiarise myself with: DDC and H&T - I guess they are not essential in the scale of things but I can see they could be useful in some circumstances.

Come over for a drive some time, then!

There was a classic example during the test when H&T would have been perfect, but I didn't dare go that far :lol:

Coward! :twisted:

I find if the execution is not too flamboyant nobody seems to notice anyway....
zadocbrown

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:39 pm

zadocbrown wrote:
There was a classic example during the test when H&T would have been perfect, but I didn't dare go that far :lol:

Did it constantly on an IAM Masters test and the very much old school examiner did not realise. :shock: :D
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Pyrolol » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:28 pm

jcochrane wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:

Did it constantly on an IAM Masters test and the very much old school examiner did not realise. :shock: :D

I got an assessment from an IAM examiner a couple of years ago ('Momentum'), and was actually told I should have overlapped one particular change - into second while braking downhill before turning into a side road.
Pyrolol

Postby akirk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Pyrolol wrote:I got an assessment from an IAM examiner a couple of years ago ('Momentum'), and was actually told I should have overlapped one particular change - into second while braking downhill before turning into a side road.

isn't a downhill turn one of the few 'accepted' exceptions for BGOL?

Alasdair
akirk

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum